Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to US - Cheapest way to keep Irish number?

Options
  • 13-10-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭

So folks - moving to the US; unsure how long I'll be over there at this point but it'll be at least 6 months so want to keep my Irish number in the event I come home at that point.

What would be the cheapest way to do this? (International calls/anything that would be beneficial to use in the US would be a nice bonus)

I'm thinking iD or Lyca @ 10er a month would be the best bet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

PAYG phone and top up, as stated. For instance, Vodafone require you to top up every 6 months. Probably wise to make an occasionable billable call as stated, and not just use the webtext. Vodafone "red" roaming in the US is not a ridiculous cost, you could use the phone now and again for a chat with someone on a mobile in Ireland.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

With Three PAYG there's no requirement to top up every so often, you just have to make one chargeable use every six months to keep the SIM active. That would be seem to be the best option but I know some (if not all) networks do reserve the right to cut you off if you don't connect to the home network every so often. You'd have to check each operators' terms & conditions on that.

Advertisement