Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car was not destroyed and now being driven

• 13-10-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a bit of a situation which is probably my own fault for getting into, I didn't research before getting myself into it and should have known better. Its done now and Im looking for your helpful advice.

Last year my mother was driving my friends car and crashed it. We brought it to a garage and were told we should write it off cause the cost to fix would be more than the car is worth.

That was fine, we were told the car would be destroyed and we accepted that.
    Also, my mate has just paid for a years motor tax and we wanted to reclaim it back, I told the mechanic that we needed the certificate of destruction so we could inform the tax office and get the refund back. He kindly offered to refund the cost of 10 months tax while we were waiting for the destruction, the car was due to be picked up the following week to be scrapped. This should have been the first red flag.

Stupidly we thought that was it and never thought of it again until now.

Today my mate got a letter in the post from etoll. There is a missed payment penalty from this month through the M50 on the number plate of the car that was to be destroyed, he checked his account and there is about 10 trips that have been debited from his account.
    So obviously the car is being driven and the old way we found out if from the m50 penalty.

What would you guys do? We have rang the tax office and the car is still registered to my mate.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Does your mate still have the tax book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd start with the mechanic and get him to pony up for the tolls, then get an address from him for new owner and backdate change of ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Tell your friend to talk to a real lawyer and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Tell your friend to talk to a real lawyer and see what they say.

No need to incur this expense , DOE shannaon dealing with cases like this daily, simple fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LD89

Go to your local Motor Tax office and fill out a "I desposed of form" get it stamped and signed by a commissioner for Oaths and return to motor tax.
    This will get the vehicle out of your name to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sausagekayak

emeldc wrote: »
    Does your mate still have the tax book

We handed over a signed tax form to him. Really should have followed up on it.

Thanks all for the info. The mechanic has said he is going to look into it and will get back to us tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks all for the info. The mechanic has said he is going to look into it and will get back to us tomorrow.
    The mechanic could well be using the car!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what is there to look in to? Either he had the car destroyed or he didnt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Today my mate got a letter in the post from etoll. There is a missed payment penalty from this month through the M50 on the number plate of the car that was to be destroyed, he checked his account and there is about 10 trips that have been debited from his account.
    So obviously the car is being driven and the old way we found out if from the m50 penalty.
    Thanks.

Was it the car or the plates, someone could be simply using the plates, outside chance I know......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

slave1 wrote: »
    Was it the car or the plates, someone could be simply using the plates, outside chance I know......

Eithre way the car was never destroyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

But he say is was mechanical or economic write-off....

Eco WO can be fixed by motor trader, they don't have to pay labour and once can is reaccessed then it can be back on the road.

Did he give u very of destruction within 10 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sausagekayak

So the mechanic is going to refund all trips through the M50 toll and fix the tax registration so its out of my friends name.
    I know he said he'd destroy it and give us a cert of destruction but at this stage my mate is happy to just get the refund and the car out of his name.

Thanks for all the advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You best get him to backdate that incase there are bigger fines/ points coming down the line

Advertisement