Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband in Kildare - any good ?

Options
  • 13-10-2016 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi considering switching from upc to sky for my broadband , and was wondering if anyone who has Sky broadband in the general Kildare area ( Sallins in particular ) would recommend it or not ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

cathalj wrote: »
    Hi considering switching from upc to sky for my broadband , and was wondering if anyone who has Sky broadband in the general Kildare area ( Sallins in particular ) would recommend it or not ? Thanks in advance.

Yeah I have it, it's not particularly fast. Think we're sold 8mb, highest download speed I've ever seen is just over 1mb but not once over the last few years has it been unreliable. Can't think of a single day it's not been working. I'm in sallins.
    There could be faster packages available if you get in contact with them, I probably should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

I have Sky Fibre in Sallins Park. I switched from Vodafone last month and it is good. Getting the same speed as we got from Vodafone and also less drops than with Vodafone which was beginning to get frustrating and one of the reasons for switching. So no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

also on UPC/Virgin now. Considered switching to Sky but heard of reliability issues so reluctant as I have to use for work and also if it was unreliable I would never hear the end of it from my lads...(1st World problems I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Appreciate all the replies.... would sky fibre be fast enough for streaming Netflix etc without any issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

cathalj wrote: »
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    also on UPC/Virgin now. Considered switching to Sky but heard of reliability issues so reluctant as I have to use for work and also if it was unreliable I would never hear the end of it from my lads...(1st World problems I know)

Sky's BB is Eir's infrastructure. Max is up to 100mbps, but in reality it maxes out at 90mbps. If you lads are in non-fibre areas then you will be lucky to get anything more than 4mpbs. And with Sky you have to take a phone package. Note also that Sky charge €30.00 per month, all the other providers charge €25.50. Sneaky way for Sky to eke more dosh from you.

Virgin Media BB is true fibre BB and a country mile ahead of all the other providers. I would proceed very carefully if I was leaving the best fibre BB provider in the country for a provider who's ethos is to squeeze as much money as possible from it's customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Agree, Virgin fibre BB is good. I have a home phone aswell, realistically dont need or use it. However I don't think I can have one without other for just paying the same

Advertisement