Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refused Insurance.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

That car could only be 14 years old in Jan never mind 15, wtf are they at

They are really taking the piss it will be 10 year old limit next mark my words

It's already 8 for FBD!!!!

They are hoping to only insure cars still on PCP by the new year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

It's already 8 for FBD!!!!

They are hoping to only insure cars still on PCP by the new year...

Ah here

I had slight suspicions there might have been brown envelopes going between say main car dealers and insurance companies when the 15 year started but this is really something else

How long has this 8 year policy been in effect?

The Government will really need to step in here as it will genuinely cost the state eventually die to tax losses on motor tax, fuel and people signing on ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Ah here

I had slight suspicions there might have been brown envelopes going between say main car dealers and insurance companies when the 15 year started but this is really something else

How long has this 8 year policy been in effect?

The Government will really need to step in here as it will genuinely cost the state eventually die to tax losses on motor tax, fuel and people signing on ffs

"Conspiracy hat on" Maybe the government have a hand in all this to encourage new car sales, since this is now the barometer we measure the economy on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Insurance is supposed to be personalized based on your risk. That's what young drivers are told, in theory it goes down with years of claim free driving, so I disagree totally with your defense of the insurance industries outrageous price hikes because some "shmuck" is supposed to have given me low premiums because he was betting on the right horse at the right time... C'mon FFS.

Insurance is personalised on YOUR risk and then you are put in to a group showing as many similar characteristics as yourself, such as age, car type, driving history, address, occupation etc.

They weigh up all the claims their statistics tell them that group costs, divide it by the number in your group and there's the average premium. After that, they'll dig out your specific policy and shaft you 3 ways sideways, mainly because they have to pick 5 punters a week who they think it will annoy the most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

OP, I insured my big engined 2001 car with AIG this year. They were the best quote I got by a good margin. Worth a call I'd say.

He got a quote from them via their website but it was in excess of €2k.

He took out a comprehensive policy with 25plus insurance for just over €1k and the cover note seems to indicate that the insurer is AIG.!!!!

25plus did not give him the option of third party fire and theft only.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nd272

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading my car in the near future, to a Jap import, obviously experiencing difficulties getting quote. At the time i am looking to change i will have my full licence 2 years, with 4 years no claims on my own name. I will be 27 when i plan to change.
    I have heard that changing the car over if you have an active policy has worked in the past but seeing as now insurance companies have their maximum age of car and all.
    Looking for Integra type R which ill either be purchasing in Ireland or importing from elsewhere

Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

nd272 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning on upgrading my car in the near future, to a Jap import, obviously experiencing difficulties getting quote. At the time i am looking to change i will have my full licence 2 years, with 4 years no claims on my own name. I will be 27 when i plan to change.
    I have heard that changing the car over if you have an active policy has worked in the past but seeing as now insurance companies have their maximum age of car and all.
    Looking for Integra type R which ill either be purchasing in Ireland or importing from elsewhere

Any advice would be appreciated

Integras are getting almost impossible to insure .Dc2 integra will be over ten years ,classed as high performance and jap import.I run one and every year the hoops to jump through get worse.It takes days of ringing and haggling with insurance companies to do it .Get a quote before you buy.
    Still worth it to drive it:D

rhino1 wrote: »
    Integras are getting almost impossible to insure .Dc2 integra will be over ten years ,classed as high performance and jap import.I run one and every year the hoops to jump through get worse.It takes days of ringing and haggling with insurance companies to do it .Get a quote before you buy.
    Still worth it to drive it:D

Hi thanks very much for the reply, I did receive a quote from Britton insurance of 3500 approx which is outlandish, as you say it will be essential to shop around and get a solid quote before you buy the car, I have a 2012 VW at the moment which is part of the emissions scandal that il be getting rid of so want to get something nicer to drive now that I can afford it, and before kids and house etc.
    The irony is that I can get quoted on a brand new Octavia RS or St focus any new high performance car but they won't touch an Integra or a civic, some of these cars are classics already or will be in a few years, if insurers keep going the way they going it will put the aspiration of owning these marvellous pieces of engineering out of reach of many which is a real shame

The irony is that I can get quoted on a brand new Octavia RS or St focus any new high performance car but they won't touch an Integra or a civic, some of these cars are classics already or will be in a few years, if insurers keep going the way they going it will put the aspiration of owning these marvellous pieces of engineering out of reach of many which is a real shame

They are still living in the Max Power era when all japanese cars were fierce fasht and dangerous. By the time we all have flying cars they will be moving onto "slammed passats are the enemy".

They seem on the face of it to take their risk ratings from a straw poll of grannies outside Mass and wonder why they can't get a handle on the market in Ireland!

• Advertisement

They are still living in the Max Power era when all japanese cars were fierce fasht and dangerous. By the time we all have flying cars they will be moving onto "slammed passats are the enemy".

They seem on the face of it to take their risk ratings from a straw poll of grannies outside Mass and wonder why they can't get a handle on the market in Ireland!

Couldn't agree more, will be doing a lot more planning and research closer the time but also have to be aware that may not get insured on what I want, or wait till 30 as Axa told me not so long ago
    I remember years ago they wouldn't go near ya til 25!

U.K. Seems to be a lot more accommodating insurer wise than here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Couldn't agree more, will be doing a lot more planning and research closer the time but also have to be aware that may not get insured on what I want, or wait till 30 as Axa told me not so long ago
    I remember years ago they wouldn't go near ya til 25!

U.K. Seems to be a lot more accommodating insurer wise than here

The uk has a population of 60 odd million people as well as multiples of the insurance companies we have.

Never mind the fact their average pay outs for soft tissue injuries are much lower than here.

The uk has a population of 60 odd million people as well as multiples of the insurance companies we have.

Never mind the fact their average pay outs for soft tissue injuries are much lower than here.

Tell me this, Friday, my wife was refused insurance on her 14 year old car with her current insurer because it was "old", today I got a quote online with her current insurer and it was €605 comprehensive. So what's changed since last Friday other than it's not raining out today?

Do they pull this shíte out of their arses? Oh and claims has fcukall to do with it, you know that. more propaganda.

Tell me this, Friday, my wife was refused insurance on her 14 year old car with her current insurer because it was "old", today I got a quote online with her current insurer and it was €605 comprehensive. So what's changed since last Friday other than it's not raining out today?

Do they pull this shíte out of their arses? Oh and claims has fcukall to do with it, you know that. more propaganda.

Well I work in insurance.

You can say claims means fcuk all if you want but I know for a fact you are completely and unequivocally wrong, but you can believe what you like.

As to the first part, something doesn't add up.

You are saying they refused renewal on a 14 year old car due to its age but on their website you managed to get a quote.

I don't believe you.

In my experience insurers do not refuse renewal on age of vehicle alone. For one thing, insurers are legally obliged to offer renewal terms and the decision to not offer renewal is only taken in extreme circumstances such as multiple claims, convictions or because something dodgy was going on (I'm not saying that you or your wife have any claims, convictions or are up to something underhanded by the way)

They may increase the price, they may reduce cover to fire and theft but refusal on age alone I don't believe.

And I doubly don't believe that they refused renewal on a car because of its age yet allow people to buy cover on line on vehicles of the same age.

Well I work in insurance.

You can say claims means fcuk all if you want but I know for a fact you are completely and unequivocally wrong, but you can believe what you like.

As to the first part, something doesn't add up.

You are saying they refused renewal on a 14 year old car due to its age but on their website you managed to get a quote.

I don't believe you.

In my experience insurers do not refuse renewal on age of vehicle alone. For one thing, insurers are legally obliged to offer renewal terms and the decision to not offer renewal is only taken in extreme circumstances such as multiple claims, convictions or because something dodgy was going on (I'm not saying that you or your wife have any claims, convictions or are up to something underhanded by the way)

They may increase the price, they may reduce cover to fire and theft but refusal on age alone I don't believe.

And I doubly don't believe that they refused renewal on a car because of its age yet allow people to buy cover on line on vehicles of the same age.

I know you work in insurance, that's why I put the question to you, it's a fact she was told to EFF OFF last Friday, and then a quote came in today for€605, I'm not telling porkies, she tried, Zurich, Aig (€1360) because of car age, chill was €905 I think.

I know you work in insurance, that's why I put the question to you, it's a fact she was told to EFF OFF last Friday, and then a quote came in today for€605, I'm not telling porkies, she tried, Zurich, Aig (€1360) because of car age, chill was €905 I think.

Like I said, i do not believe they refused renewal based on the age of the vehicle alone yet allowed you to get a quote online on the same vehicle.

That's my choice based on my knowledge and experience, I do not expect you to prove it.

• Advertisement

There is no way a Zurich employee told her to EFF OFF last Friday and is still at their desk today

There is no way a Zurich employee told her to EFF OFF last Friday and is still at their desk today

123, it was online also, then told to call, then "your car is old sorry"

123, it was online also, then told to call, then "your car is old sorry"

Sorry, from the construction of your post, I presumed it was Zurich.

There is no way a 123.ie employee told her to EFF OFF last Friday and is at their desk today

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

I'm sure the eff off was phrased as 'We can't offer a quote on a car of that age'.

rhino1 wrote: »
    I'm sure the eff off was phrased as 'We can't offer a quote on a car of that age'.
    Exactly.
    Known to many as the "PFO".

I don't understand the need for the pedantry above... If you have a perfectly well looked after 14 year old car that gets refused for being too old it feels like a EFF OFF PEASANT no matter what "we're the real victims here" spin insurers put on it.

Do they expect us to beg and grovel for forgiveness for owning such an old car, or feel insulted that our "flew through last 6 ncts, serviced on the button" car is now a sign that we are professional scammers or something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement