Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing Community Website

Options
  • 13-10-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone,

I'm designing a website for a local community, however, I will not be maintaining the site after it is hosted.

Therefore, I'm not sure what to do with regard to Content Management.

Ideally, the admin (who have no programming experience) would like to be able to edit content (update text, upload images, videos, etc.), but I'm not sure how to allow them do this.

I've looked up some Content Management Systems like Concrete5. They allow you to easily edit content, but then when I want to add something specific, then their templates don't allow me.

Is there another way to allow admin with little experience to manage content easily?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Have you looked into WordPress?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Or Drupal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Or on a simplistic level, something like kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sigerson

Have you looked into WordPress?

So I spent yesterday getting familiar with Wordpress.com.

However, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to add so much widgets as others had in their templates.

I then discovered that I should be using Wordpress.org to install plugins etc.

Apparently I need to host my Wordpress site to use this, I'm just wondering how do I go about hosting this site?

Sorry for this, but I'm a beginner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Similar to Kirby (flatfile, no DB) is Grav:

https://getgrav.org/

For a very simple approach.

For higher levels of flexibility and complexity:

Expression Engine
    https://ellislab.com/expressionengine

or Craft
    https://craftcms.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sigerson wrote: »
    So I spent yesterday getting familiar with Wordpress.com.

However, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to add so much widgets as others had in their templates.

Apparently I need to host my Wordpress site to use this, I'm just wondering how do I go about hosting this site?

You can easily host one for free on wordpress, and you'd have the domain name of something like mywebsite.wordpress.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

Sigerson wrote: »

Do you have your own domain name registered?

You can host your own WordPress site for free yourself using OpenShift. If the thought of maintaining a Git repository and integrating file hosting services such as Amazon S3 or Dropbox is too much for you then you can get a hosted service quite cheaply.

It's forbidden to discuss hosting providers on the forum but a simple Google search will get you started: wordpress hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

If your client can cope with editing content in a git repo on github via github's web UI, then https://gohugo.io/ using github's web hooks to regenerate the site can be amazing. And zero chance of the site getting hacked, and zero maintenance if you also use github to host the site.

Advertisement