Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington DC / Arlington VA - Moving; advice?

Options
  • 13-10-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Moving to work in DC in the next couple of weeks, specifically will be working in Tysons & hoping to live on the Silver Line around Ballston/Virginia Square/Clarendon stops.

I've had a good Google about moving to the area/city and while they've been very helpful it's be great to get an Irish perspective on it - like just how cold it gets there versus home and what kind of clothes you'd need etc, that kind of thing!

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

cson wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Moving to work in DC in the next couple of weeks, specifically will be working in Tysons & hoping to live on the Silver Line around Ballston/Virginia Square/Clarendon stops.

I've had a good Google about moving to the area/city and while they've been very helpful it's be great to get an Irish perspective on it - like just how cold it gets there versus home and what kind of clothes you'd need etc, that kind of thing!

As always, I'm super jealous of any lucky fecker in this thread who gets to move to America, and as usual please tell us how you managed to bag yourself the job and what visas etc you have and any advice would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi,
    I used to live there for years and moved around a bit within that area (Ashburn, Reston, Fairfax etc).
    Worked in DC, and Alexandria, Northern VA areas. However it was 15 years ago, but I'd be happy for you to PM me or to talk to you directly....
    Basically it can get
    very cold in the winter - freezing and snowing
    very hot in the summer 30+ and very humid
    really lovely in the spring and fall
    It's a lovely part of the world and a great place from which to explore the east coast of the US, I'm jealous.!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I've never lived down there, but I travel to Reston for business, and it's a really nice area to live in if you work in DC. I'm sure you found out that you really need to be close to the rail lines for commuting. The traffic sucks in that area, especially on 495. I've gotten stuck in what seems like rush hour traffic on a Sunday afternoon. DC itself is full of speed cameras and parking enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

cson wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I live in DC and it truly is one of the great capital cities of the world.

The weather is great, today was 84 degrees! Last winter wasnt too bad except for a week of heavy snow in January. Winter before was brutal but as long as you have the proper attire you'll be fine.

There are so many museums, galleries, openings, bars and restaurants you'll never be bored!

Ask away any further questions.

Advertisement