Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get a bike

• 13-10-2016 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

As a lifelong heavy-metaller leather jacket wearing bike lover I've never actually had one before but my midlife crisis self is screaming at me to finally start riding a bike.

I'm looking for a bit of advice and see if my information is correct.

1. I re-sit a theory test for my 'A' licence
    2. I must complete the IBT before being allowed on the road.
    3. I wait until I finish my IBT before even getting a bike? I often hear of people sitting the IBT in their own bike but is that not a contradiction of itself?
    4. After my IBT, away I go, wait 6 months for my test?
    5. As a first time biker I'm unsure about a first bike. I obviously want it >250cc but I don't know how I'd handle a larger one. Should I get a restricted 400? I'm only interested in cruisers.

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

As a lifelong heavy-metaller leather jacket wearing bike lover I've never actually had one before but my midlife crisis self is screaming at me to finally start riding a bike.

3. I wait until I finish my IBT before even getting a bike? I often hear of people sitting the IBT in their own bike but is that not a contradiction of itself?
    5. As a first time biker I'm unsure about a first bike. I obviously want it >250cc but I don't know how I'd handle a larger one. Should I get a restricted 400? I'm only interested in cruisers.

Take a look at Starting Out Guide

1. Theory Test
    2. Get Learner Permit
    3. Do your IBT
    4. After 6 months do test

The bike you go for will depend on insurance, your confidence and whether you want to use it for the test. Not all 'A' category bikes can be used for the test. Check out the RSA site or call them up to check.

I'm in a similar situation to you and after researching many bikes I decided to get an MT-07 as it will do me for quite a few years, where I might get bored with a 250 or 350cc after passing the test. It would also have meant that I would have to hire a "strange" bike for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Theory Test
    Learner Permit
    Do your IBT
    Book test after IBT ( they place you on a list until your 6 months are up and you'll get a date sooner than actually waiting the 6 months to book )

I started out in a 600cc ninja (zx6r)

Have my test next month only downfall is like schaffer said above it cant be used for the test so il have to rent a bandit/fazer for it :)

Also dont cheap out on the PPE ( personal protection equipment ) This will all be explained during ibt . Iv spent more on my gear than on the bike itself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Hi fellow Metaller.

Dont restrict yourself to a cruiser/chopper. They (I assume you mean Harleys) are great looking, sound good but are a pig to ride(heavy and uncomfortable as well). Furthermore they are very expensive (especially if you want to customize yours).
    I would only get one as a 2nd bike if I had money to burn.

Just my 2cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

my piece of advice would be not to get stuck to the idea of wanting to start on a small bike, start on a bike that suits your size and that you are comfortable on. For some people that may be a 250cc or smaller, but you won't know that for sure until you put your arse on a few bikes

you don't need to make this decision until after your IBT, just do it on the instructors bike

Advertisement