Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bow help please

Options
  • 13-10-2016 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

About 5 years ago I went into local sports shop for running shoes and came out with a compound bow.

I bought a straw target, 50 arrows online , my bow is a 50 pound bow and I realised very quickly firstly how dangerous this bow is and seriously to powerful for a novice such as myself.
    I've started going to begginer classes as its always been something I want to do and obviously didn't go in with my bow.
    Can I ask if I'd be better off selling this bow altogether and buying something more compatible.

Any other advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

About 5 years ago I went into local sports shop for running shoes and came out with a compound bow.

I bought a straw target, 50 arrows online , my bow is a 50 pound bow and I realised very quickly firstly how dangerous this bow is and seriously to powerful for a novice such as myself.
    I've started going to begginer classes as its always been something I want to do and obviously didn't go in with my bow.
    Can I ask if I'd be better off selling this bow altogether and buying something more compatible.

Any other advice would be great, thanks.

Presumably the beginner classes start you with a recurve bow? See how you like it, and ask them at the club for advice about your compound to see if it is suitable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

What bow did you buy? If you bought it in a local sports shop chances are its a barnett or similar and TBH, Not what you'd be shooting in a club scenario.

Stick it on adverts and re-invest the money in something else after youve spent soem time chatting to club members and seeing what type of bow you want to move onto after the beginners course which, loosly, would be mainly Recurve, Compound or Trad archery.

Once you know what you want keep an eye on the Irish Buy and sell archery Facebook groups and adverts as there is often geart deals available in second hand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Bear in mind also that the bow you get should be weighted to you and the draw length compatible also the arrows should suit the bow.As posted earlier a bow you buy in a local sports shop is most definitely not what you would use in archery shoots.

Are you left or right eye dominant and does the compound bow suit this dominance?

Finish the beginner course, use a club bow for a while, ask the advice of instructors and take your time and learn properly

Then once you know a bit and have listened to experienced archers you can make a better informed decision on whether to keep the compound bow or not

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

I realise that this thread is a little old, but where are you based? Maybe we can point you in the right direction e.g. a club where you can bring your equipment and ask some questions and get some answers. Then one you have the right information you can then decide if you want to join a club or chance your arm (leg, hand, neighbour) by shooting at home in your garden. I would always recommend a club as it will help you grow and develop good archery habits.

Advertisement