Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Williams really liked bikes!

Options
  • 13-10-2016 9:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Great man had a great passion for bikes

Some tasty bikes there (new, old and vintage!)

https://paddle8.com/auction/robin-williams/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by god, that colnago. i suspect it'll make more than the asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There's two Colnagos, a c40 gold anniversary model and a c50. Both seem to have reasonable estimates but as you say, will possibly go for a lot more than that - maybe not though. Shipping costs will kill you - $350 within the US and POA for elsewhere.....!

There are some dogs in there, but quite a few beauts too !

He was obviously a keen collector - and most of the descriptions suggest they were all ridden - just the way a collection should be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm, he was about the same height as me, so the bikes should be a close enough fit...

can someone explain to me why the $25k bike has that asking price? was it one made specially for him?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hmm, he was about the same height as me, so the bikes should be a close enough fit...

can someone explain to me why the $25k bike has that asking price? was it one made specially for him?

I dont see a $25k bike.

Do you mean this one?

https://paddle8.com/work/trek/124609-madone-discovery-channel-limited-edition-diamond-7/

A few 56s there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Although it is made of stainless steel, that price might be a typo........it also states "Estimate $2,500 - $4,000"

Along with a number of the other bikes, it also has an SRM powermeter fitted !

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Although it is made of stainless steel, that price might be a typo........it also states "Estimate $2,500 - $4,000"
    aha; i hadn't spotted that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A fantastic collection and a passionate man who lived life to the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Jesus thought I had a bike fetish, obviously I don't have enough and need to get a few more to call myself a true cyclist 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

A lot of candidates for the "images of ugly" thread there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Such a pity they're not being kept together - what a cycling museum they would make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ThisRegard wrote: »

I suspect it isnt UCI road legal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    I suspect it isnt UCI road legal
    What about indoor track legal (as it is gas powered so presumably intended as an indoor derny).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

What a collection! I'm drooling over the Cannondale Six13 Lampre. All to small for me even if I had the money.

I hope that whomever buys them rides them. Given he rolde them all I'd bet that's what he'd want over them being some Museum piece.

What about indoor track legal (as it is gas powered so presumably intended as an indoor derny).

Couldn't tell you!

I wonder is there other massive bike collections like this?

Hungrycol wrote: »
    What a collection! I'm drooling over the Cannondale Six13 Lampre. All to small for me even if I had the money.

I hope that whomever buys them rides them. Given he rolde them all I'd bet that's what he'd want over them being some Museum piece.

Except that I doubt there's any museum in the world with so many bicycles of all eras.

Keep meaning to get to the agricultural machinery museum in the midlands somewhere, which has some Pierce bikes. As far as I know there are no Lucania bikes (Dublin-made, 1900s) extant.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

I've seen an article about Wiggins' collection.. which is very impressive.
    It looks like Robin stopped collecting a good few years ago bar the Sky Pinarello.
    I wonder which bike was his favourite.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Except that I doubt there's any museum in the world with so many bicycles of all eras.
    this is not too far away:
    http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

gas powered so presumably intended as an indoor derny

Isn't gas=petrol in American English?

this is not too far away:
    http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/

Some time when I get the new bike I'll take the ferry over and make my way to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

godtabh wrote: »
    I wonder is there other massive bike collections like this?

Beastie's?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

outfox wrote: »
    Beastie's?

I have 5, a TT bike I'm minding, wife's hybrid, sons MTB x2 and also small racer so what's that 10 inn total.......

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    I have 5, a TT bike I'm minding, wife's hybrid, sons MTB x2 and also small racer so what's that 10 inn total.......
    I've only the 2 racers - OK plus the commuter and road bike in Cornwall, neither of which I race. Plus a couple of TT bikes. OK there's a fixie too. Only currently have the 3 track bikes though (although there is a frameset in the post, and a bike at Manchester Velodrome with a cracked frame, so that's destined to replace the hybrid on the turbo).

2 of the kids each have 2 BMXs. Plus a bike each in Cornwall. The other 2 kids only have one each here and another each in Cornwall, as does the wife. That only makes not many more than a score of bikes in the family. Might be looking for a new commuter soon, as there's a bit of a rattle in the one I'm currently using. No point in bidding for any of Robin's bikes though - although they may fit as a start to shrivel up as I age....

Advertisement