Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty

Options
  • 13-10-2016 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi, I have a motorcycle currently being repaired under warranty due to faulty components. The bike is under a 2 year warranty & is less than a year old. It has been with the retailer for 2 weeks, I've had to chase them as their communication skills are almost non existent. Got a hold of them this week & was stunned to be told that I won't have the bike back till early November. Now the problem i have is that the bike is my only form of transport & as I work shift hours which vary from day to day & I have a 60 minute commute then I'm in a pickle.

My question is; is the retailer obliged to supply a 'courtesy' bike while I wait? I don't mean to sound selfish but my employer can only be so obliging & has a business to run & patience will run thin. Or is my insurance company the one to sort out something in the interim?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're not obliged to provide a courtesy bike. It's kind of like sending your phone off to be fixed under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is an implied obligation on the vendor to deal with the problem in reasonable time, and I think that a month is not reasonable.

But what can you do about it? Any sort of legal action won't get going fast enough to make a difference.

If it's a new bike under manufacturer's warranty, I would think it worth your while making contact further up the supply chain. It should not be too difficult to find out who the distributor is. Distributors don't like unhappy customers, because if they communicate their unhappiness widely, it's bad for business. And you probably know better than I do that motorcyclists are a fairly tight community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I'm sure the retailer would have terms and conditions that you would have signed when giving them back your bike. 1 should have stipulated max amount of time which you would have agreed to. the term reasonable amount of time is stupid as the term reasonable depends on the person that says it. e.g I think it would be perfectly reasonable to wait 4 or 5 weeks for a part for a computer which no doubt has to be shipped around the world, but wouldn't think it's reasonable to wait 4 to 5 weeks for a part fro a kettle which prob comes from a factory in louth

Advertisement