Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lessons From The IPF International Coaches License

• 13-10-2016 10:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

It's 1107pm and the end of the day 1 at the IPF's international coaches license as I write.

Each day for the next 3 I'll be blogging at the things we're covering on the highest officially recognised powerlifting coaches course.

Check out day 1 here: http://revolutionfitness.ie/lessons-ipf-international-coaches-license-day-1/

If you've got an Qs, post em up and I may be able to get you answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nice write up James. A fair bit of it clicked in regards to my training. And not just in regards to powerlifting.
    lifters should lift. Coaches should coach. And managers should manage
    Sounds so simple, but it's ignored an awful lot.
    And I'm speaking in terms of jiu jitsu competition. There's plenty of times when instead of warming up, stretching relaxing before my matches, I'm coaching some guys in the novice divisions because there's nobody else.
    During the earlier volume stages of training, it’s more likely the lifter will spent a lot of time in the 75-85% range with imperfect recovery. Once approx. 75% of maximum recovery has been reached (measured by heart rate in the 120bpm range), it’s time to go again. Typically the means 90-120s break.

Here's a thought, would there be any benefit to do being precise with this and setting a HRM to beep when you hit a certain BPM. And using that to dictate your rest periods rather than time, or rather than a vague feeling of recovery. I suspected that when we are going by feel, its actually subconsciously a BPM assessment.

Can you explain the "75% of maximum recovery" part.
    Say my Max HR is 190. What do I set as my recovered HR?
    Resting HR (50) is obviously too low. Post warm up HR (90-100) feels about right.
    if you’re unfit, you won’t recover between sets and sessions, and that’s no good. Some of the heavier guys were really gassing hard after it.
    +1
    We start technical jiu jitsu sessions with moderate aerobic warmup. It's a point of contention with a lot of people. But the fact is, a lot of people nned to be fitter to prevent technique breaking down.
    We did 3 squat variations – toes elevated squat, squat on bosu ball (really) and competition squat.

Toes elevated, sounds good to me. I've been doing this stretch with my initial warm ups sets.

Bosu ball...hmmm...Not so sure

(feel free to snip any parts of the above for the emails/blog etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 cptgav

I am so unbelievably impressed at how well the IrishPF is doing. They showcase the comp's well, the way they're trying to develop younger lifters with regional co-ordinators, and NOW they're sending people out to the IPF Int. Coaching certification courses!? Really proactive compared to other organizations here.

Most of what they've mentioned so far seems pretty straight forward with regards training for powerlifting, though I'd be interested to here more about session breakdown. If you're doing 3 squat variants, trying to get enough work in, adding in supplementary work, and then saving time at the end for stretching/mobility, how long should a session last and would you be expected to train 5-6 times a week to have enough time to meet the required work-load demands??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

cptgav wrote: »
    I am so unbelievably impressed at how well the IrishPF is doing. They showcase the comp's well, the way they're trying to develop younger lifters with regional co-ordinators, and NOW they're sending people out to the IPF Int. Coaching certification courses!? Really proactive compared to other organizations here.

Most of what they've mentioned so far seems pretty straight forward with regards training for powerlifting, though I'd be interested to here more about session breakdown. If you're doing 3 squat variants, trying to get enough work in, adding in supplementary work, and then saving time at the end for stretching/mobility, how long should a session last and would you be expected to train 5-6 times a week to have enough time to meet the required work-load demands??

Brief answer, I'll expand on all Qs asked once home :)

At national level volumes you've two basic options as a lifter;

3x week or 6x

3x sessions last up to 3.5 hrs

6x sessions to be done in < 90 minutes

When changing the training phases around, they found the guys lifting 3x got 5% stronger over 12 weeks BUT they lost muscle mass (how's that for efficiancy?)

The guys training 6x got 7.5% stronger (some MUCh higher but eliminated from results).

Dietmar has asked us not to share his programming verbatim. About to start today's blog, it'll have a fairly good overview of how it works.

...and just as a point of clarification, I'm paying for this - the IrishPF just have to put your name down and register you for the course. You can't just sign up online.

(but yes, we're doing a great job at being proactive!!)

My wrap up of Day 2 at the IPF's International Coaches License is up. Today we talked about calories, weight classes and bosu ball bench pressing. Read all about it here: http://revolutionfitness.ie/lessons-ipf-international-coaches-license-day-2-part-1/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 cptgav

Thanks for that James, it's very interesting reading! I've been using lift variants as warm-ups for years, but I haven't been as clinical with it as I should. I seems like there's been a lot of good info... and I'm a little jealous you got the full run down on Dietmar's programming! ...happy to be a guinea pig anytime you want to test out new training protocol : )

It's taken a week for my body to get back to normal - but the last part of the my review of the IPF's International Coaches License is now up. Find out more about IPF rules, anti doping and my personal key takeaways: http://revolutionfitness.ie/lessons-ipf-international-coaches-license-day-3-finally/

Advertisement