Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike is the wrong size i think

Options
  • 13-10-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

hi guys
    Bought a bike today which had to be imported from UK.The lbs took my measurement details from my previous (neil pryde alize) which was a small.I ordered the Giant Propel Advanced 2 in a small also but is seems like its bigger in looks and feel.Is there anyway they would exchange this seems its was ordered in i took one spin up the road when i got home to test it thats it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

willdill wrote: »
    hi guys
    Bought a bike today which had to be imported from UK.The lbs took my measurement details from my previous (neil pryde alize) which was a small.I ordered the Giant Propel Advanced 2 in a small also but is seems like its bigger in looks and feel.Is there anyway they would exchange this seems its was ordered in i took one spin up the road when i got home to test it thats it.

I've no experience with the propel but I have heard from people the sizing can be different compared to other bikes.

See a thread on this from last year with a very similar problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96666461

Did you get a proper bike fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I fit (kind of) an XS in Giant Liv and an S in Cube - though Mr Kearney in the Galway bike shop told me that even between the different models you get different sizings; as far as I remember, he said the Cube touring bikes had quite a different geometry from the Cube racers.

(The 'kind of' is because while the Liv fits me, I feel all scrunched up on it. The Cube racer fits lovely, but I don't need a racer.)

Would also recommend a professional bike fit before buying a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

When I bought my 'sports' bike, there were just 3 sizes available, small, medium and large. The bike was adjusted to the rider by altering the stem and seat post as necessary. The general rule of thumb at the time was for a given rider, the smallest acceptable (steel) frame was best, stiffest, less flexing loss etc.

I see from the various parts suppliers that there are vast ranges of steering tube extenders, stems, seatposts etc. for the modern bike. If it feels too big, would a shorter, lower (possibly offset) stem and seat post (without lay back)make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Where would you get advice on how good your bike fit is for you and what adjustments if any should be made if you have the bike already and don't plan on buying anything :P

cormie wrote: »
    Where would you get advice on how good your bike fit is for you and what adjustments if any should be made if you have the bike already and don't plan on buying anything :P

Here's one place http://www.bikefitstudio.ie/ run by an ex-racer now working in the industry. It's in north Dublin and is excellent. There's another, I think, in Oughterard, others will suggest more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

€180 and it takes 3 hours? :eek:

The price is fine for the time of course, but I don't think I need such attention to detail, just a rough hop up on your bike grab the handlebars put feet on the pedals and someone to say saddle can go another inch higher, handlebars are too low etc :)

Up to yourself-o! I'd been looking for the right bike for a couple of years, while riding my elephant of an old 20kg Dawes; when I got a bike fit (in Bike Fit Studio), the fitter worked out my exact, and rather weird, proportions, talked to me about what I was going to use the bike for, and went through millions of bikes to find the exact - and apparently the only - one that fitted my needs. I can't say how perfect or not it will be; I'm waiting for the 2017 model to come into stock and then I'll go back and see if any adjustments are needed, a different saddle, anything like that.
    Someone posted here a couple of months ago about having a very sore behind after his first longish cycle - 80km? 100km? something like that - and people advised him to take the bike back to the shop where he got it and ask them to adjust it. He did so, and they moved the saddle according to his build - a couple of centimetres down and back or up and forward or something - and the problem immediately went away.
    OP, you can't do that, having bought online, but if you don't want to get a bike fit (and if you're not racing or touring long distances, and you're not in the process of buying a bike, maybe you could go to a good shop - again, say roughly where you are and people here can advise - and get them to do a rough fit for you. You can always buy a helmet or something from them in thanks if they don't charge you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's more than a few videos online about bike sizing too, and if you're normally proportioned i suspect you'd get 80% of the way there by hopping on a bike in front of a decent experienced sales assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

The geometry of the OP's old and new bikes appear quite similar, I'm wondering if there was any change made to the old bike since he bought it?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/neilpryde-alize-105-5700-2014/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/propel.advanced.2/24973/90495/#geometry

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

I'm thinking now was the old too big too but I felt ok on that after a pro fitting.Some guys are looking at the saddle being so low nearly in line with the handle bars and saying a right size your saddle would be a lot higher than the handle bars.I'm only a small guy 5"5 with small legs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

I think you should bite the bullet and get a pro fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

jamesd wrote: »
    I think you should bite the bullet and get a pro fit.

I will do.I think in the geometry the propel head tube is 15 mill bigger than the neil pryde.maybe that's what making it look to big.I hot a pro fit on the neil pryde and he never said that was too big

willdill wrote: »
    I'm thinking now was the old too big too but I felt ok on that after a pro fitting.Some guys are looking at the saddle being so low nearly in line with the handle bars and saying a right size your saddle would be a lot higher than the handle bars.I'm only a small guy 5"5 with small legs too.

You could buy one of Robin Williams' bikes? He was 5'7" http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/15/media/robin-williams-bicycle-auction/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

I got a fit done last week, it made some differance on the bike for me, did the slieve blooms yesterday and no pain today at all.

Advertisement