Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kriskindl and the family.

• 13-10-2016 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

My family have been doing kriskindl since 1998. Back then we were all living under the same roof, single, young and carefree (well, bar my parents :D ).

We still do it every year, but I'm wondering is it time to call a halt. Reasons being;
    1. All of us are married, own homes, some with children.
    2. We only see each other occasionally (in most cases, I see my parents regularly though) and it's getting far more difficult to choose a good gift.
    3. The limit for a gift is €300. Some of us see it as a target rather than a limit though.
    4. There have been some disaster presents. I got a coat which was 2 sizes too small from a sister last year.
    5. We are at the stage in our lives that if we want something we will just buy it for ourselves.

Is there a post-kriskindl alternative which I could suggest for Christmas '17? Its too late to suggest anything else for this year.

I'm not going to push any opinion of mine on the family, but I think it's time to suggest an alternative if there is one.

Any opinions?

Fluffy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It can be a bit of a pain sometimes, can't it? My family doesn't do it but my in-laws do and I'm included in it. The limit is only €50 (and someone always moans that it's too little or too much!) and everyone has to suggest something (although some people don't bother!) that they want but it's still not my favourite thing. I think a nicer idea would be to organise a nice family meal out so that you all get to spend more time together. (If you want to spend more time with them!) Or go to a Christmas show together and out for a few drinks. Much cheaper than €300 and much more enjoyable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We gave up on buying 'proper' gifts last year and went with a funny pass the parcel game. Everyone has to buy one present for under a tenner. It has to potentially suit everyone (apart from the one small child in the family) and it preferably has to be kind of funny. Then between dinner and dessert, we all get out our presents and swap them around until the song we are listening to ends. If someone has their own gift we have to pass around again for another song. When everyone eventually has a different gift, we can open them. It's just silly fun but it means everyone gets something and it's fun to anticipate over dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Maybe suggest buying presents for any nephews or nieces instead with kris kringle? That's what's my partners family do now and any brothers or sisters who don't have children would get a meal voucher or a one for all voucher or something similar.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

I love the pass the parcel idea Iguana that really good and fun.. Might do that as a fun one this year...

We started Kriskringle a few years ago just to make it easier as like that people were just getting to much stuff that maybe perhaps they did not need. The first year me thinks we done it for something like €50 and it is now €25.. If there is something someone really wants then we can all chip in for something if we can, and if not the person who has them for Kris Kringle can get it for them. We kinda stick to it and dont but we leave it up to eachother...

I defo think €300 is way to much, you should even suggest cutting that in half. Or like Wolfcastle says maybe put it towards a nice family night out for all of ye. That much would get ye a lovely night out with taxi rides in all home i would be sure. The nights they have in the hotels can be quite fun, like companies normally go to. I remember going with my dads family work place once and it was great fun... That or cut the limit way down, you could pick something like a theme every year. Say the person they get their fav food or Christmas treat, something home made etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Put it towards a summer holiday?

Family trip somewhere in Ireland. 300 each would take you far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Just get out of it yourself. We did it for years in my family but I opted out a few years ago and haven't bought gifts for siblings since. €300 is a crazy amount.
    As for kids we buy for godchildren only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

If you've been doing it since 1998 then there's probably a need for it to change since sibling/family circumstances have changed. I think there is a need to revise the amount of the limit, to much lower to max €100 or less. And maybe try and move the focus - since you're all at a different stage, own homes, kids etc - to it being an individual gift and more of a "family" or "household" gift.

I think the suggestions of towards a family meal, or shows (like theatre, opera, concert tickets, ballet, musicals, family shows) or even a holiday are fantastic. An organised day out to a zoo, or a particular theme park (in Ireland, UK, across Europe) it could be something fun like that you could be aiming for.

Alternatively maybe start something new with hampers, anything from food like biscuits, chocolate to cheese or wine, beauty products, ones you can make up yourself or purchase a pre made up one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

We set a limit of €50 (mutually agreed by all involved). This year I have suggested hampers and that has been well received by all! Happy days!

Advertisement