Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Gardai checkpoint in Sheriff Street Upper

Options
  • 14-10-2016 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why there was an armed Gardai checkpoint in Sheriff Street Upper around midnight ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They're checking for something that might necessitate an armed response?

Just a guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Is this a serious question? If ever there was a place to have an armed checkpoint it's Sheriff st.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Does anyone know why there was an armed Gardai checkpoint in Sheriff Street Upper around midnight ?

Regular armed check points in the area since last Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Probably more gang related shenanigans again.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

More than likely due to the current "feud" that is going on in Dublin.

Not uncommon to see armed Garda in that area

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

bubblypop wrote: »
    Regular armed check points in the area since last Feb

Yep. I'm up and down Sherrif St. and Oriel St. a few times a day and it's a regular sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

skimpydoo wrote: »

because it's Sheriff Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

According to this, Keith Murtagh is back in town:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/crack-cocaine-bust-linked-to-target-of-botched-cartel-hit-35126551.html

It would appear he is a walking target for Daniel Kinahan/Liam Byrne after the Regency Hotel shooting. He already survived an attempt on his life outside Noctor's pub on Sheriff St. when a different man was shot by mistake, and another attempt in Cherry Orchard.

Sheriff St. would be his turf, so maybe he's been spotted in the area and the Gardaí are trying to prevent another attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There is a Garda presence at the corner of Sheriff/Oriel Streets pretty much 24/7. Usually one or 2 Garda cars, but regularly has an armed presence too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Was surprised to see 2 Gardai cars with some of the guards wearing hi viz vests saying armed garda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's been a regular armed gardai presence around there for at least the last ten years.

Are you new to the area OP?

There's been a regular armed gardai presence around there for at least the last ten years.

Are you new to the area OP?
    Not new as such I just live over the side of the river on the Southside and I had never seen these checkpoints before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've seen them around Crumlin/Drimnagh. Because of the fueds they are becoming more frequent citywide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Sheriff Street Upper is a different kettle of fish to Lower. Would be slightly more unusual to have one there. Though it covers the same streets cars travelling to and from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Checking on tax and insurance I assume!

Armed guards are needed to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

skimpydoo wrote:
    Armed guards are needed to do that?

On Sheriff st they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Looks like they may indeed have stepped up security around the North inner city due to Keith Murtagh returning to town:

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/gardai-on-alert-as-feud-target-returns-to-dublin

Considering how many of the Regency Hotel crew are now either dead, in jail or being actively hunted by the Kinahan mob and/or law enforcement, he must be either crazy or suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

GBX wrote: »
    I've seen them around Crumlin/Drimnagh. Because of the fueds they are becoming more frequent citywide.

I've found, they do a circle of Dublin 12 and Dublin 8 setting up checkpoints daily. They move there way around the roads in D12, then down to the likes of Meath St and Francis St in a matter of hours. Same guards generally, always with ERU or/and Special Branch.

Advertisement