Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The reeks.

• 14-10-2016 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭

A question for someone with knowledge of the reeks;

Is it possible to climb from Dromluska to the big gun ridge? Are there access issues and what is the route like? I can see it is several hundred metres of steep ascent but wondering what it is like in reality.

Thanks.

Comments

No access issues I've heard of, and while I wouldn't go over green fields you can just head up from most areas on the Kerry Way which goes though Dromluska. In fact there's a large car park about a mile further along the road, though usually very quiet. No difficulty ascending, could be a bit slippy descending on the grass. But you wouldn't really go straight for the Big Gun, you'd go up Cnoc an Chuilinn or Brassel first and from there across the top of the Reeks and on to Knocknapeasta. The usual way of doing the Big Gun is east to west, but have gone that way plenty of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

No access issues I've heard of, and while I wouldn't go over green fields you can just head up from most areas on the Kerry Way which goes though Dromluska. In fact there's a large car park about a mile further along the road, though usually very quiet. No difficulty ascending, could be a bit slippy descending on the grass. But you wouldn't really go straight for the Big Gun, you'd go up Cnoc an Chuilinn or Brassel first and from there across the top of the Reeks and on to Knocknapeasta. The usual way of doing the Big Gun is east to west, but have gone that way plenty of times.

Thanks very much for the info. Question came about because I was on a workshop with the Kenmare photographer Norman McCloskey in the Black Valley recently. I will go back to the Black Valley and just thought this would be an unusual route onto the reeks.

Thanks very much for the info. Question came about because I was on a workshop with the Kenmare photographer Norman McCloskey in the Black Valley recently. I will go back to the Black Valley and just thought this would be an unusual route onto the reeks.

The usual access from the Black Valley that I would use is up towards Lough Googh underneath the Big Gun Ridge, then turn west and ascend Fearbrahy Ridge, there is a very obvious ramp from the lake up. It's spectacular around there.

Incidentally, I know Norman very well...small world etc. etc.

The usual access from the Black Valley that I would use is up towards Lough Googh underneath the Big Gun Ridge, then turn west and ascend Fearbrahy Ridge, there is a very obvious ramp from the lake up. It's spectacular around there.

Incidentally, I know Norman very well...small world etc. etc.

Thanks once again for the info. I can see that on the map so may take a look when I get back down.

Re Norm McCloskey it is indeed a small world. He is a highly talented guy and has a great knowledge of the Kerry landscape. He took us to some amazing locations on the workshop.

Re Norm McCloskey it is indeed a small world. He is a highly talented guy and has a great knowledge of the Kerry landscape...

Ahem...I like to think I'm the Oracle when it come to South Kerry...:)

But he sure beats me at the photography...hence I have a few of his works in the house!

• Advertisement

Ahem...I like to think I'm the Oracle when it come to South Kerry...:)

But he sure beats me at the photography...hence I have a few of his works in the house!

Ha ha! Very true. When I posted the query it was sort of aimed at you to be honest.

Cheers once again. When I do the route I will take some photos and post them here.

Advertisement