Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you listen to radio anymore....

• 14-10-2016 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Radio is such rubbish nowadays do you even listen anymore? apart from probably at work where usually the radio is on in the background i have just started listening to podcasts in the car. I'm sick of these rubbish rubbish DJ's with stupid competitions and cringe cringe 'entertainment reports'. oh and lets all interact with the sports guys etc ect. i'm done with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Only in the car and still even then I am tempted to listen to a podcast or spotify!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I do listen to a fair bit to be honest, mostly talk radio and news, as the days of me listening to 'pop' music are long gone!

I also enjoy listening to Joe Duffy the odd time so I can shout at the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

yes I listen to the radio a lot. One of the first things I do in the morning is turn off the bbc iplayer.
    When I come home from work the radio goes on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

any football fans amoung you listen to james richardson's guardian podcasts? i enjoy those. probably wont know who that is if you don't like football though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Podcasts pretty much all the time in the car. In the evening at home Ill flick between Last Word, Off The Ball and my beloved Louise Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There's loads of tat on the radio for sure.

But I don't go into a bookshop and say "this place is crap" just because they have a Katie Price or Stevie G bio on display.

Because on the other side of the shop there'll be a section with Dosteovsky or Henning Mankell.

And its the same with radio. Pick and choose; there is some brilliant stuff on Irish radio.

gimmick wrote: »
    Podcasts pretty much all the time in the car. In the evening at home Ill flick between Last Word, Off The Ball and my beloved Louise Duffy.

The one major major issue with Irish radio is that its so male dominated. Its unbelieveable really to look at the lineups of really any of the radio stations but particularly Today FM and Newstalk, and see how few women there are at peak slots.

Its almost as if they think diversity is a bad thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Not Irish radio, which is unrelenting ****.

I'd listen to BBC6 a lot at home and generally podcasts while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

I listen to the radio quite a lot but never mainstream radio,internet radio only.no embaressing made up accents from idiotic dj,s.just back to back music from whatever genre i choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea, drive as part of my job and I'm a Today FM listener mostly. Anton, Dermot &a Dave and Matt Cooper.

But when walking I listen to my music, cans listen to radio when walking.

• Advertisement

dermot and dave i like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Morning Ireland for my news... then into work switchng between 4FM, 2FM & Nova for music

Drivetime for catching up on news of the day on way home from work and switching between 4FM, 2FM & Nova for tunes......

Arena for Arts

John Creedon

Generally avoid radio on Sat and Sun afternoons due to the amount of Sports coverage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes but only for news and current affairs. Morning Ireland, Today with SO, News at One, Drivetime. Nothing else really. I love talk radio and can't stand music DJs and their ramblings. And I generally dislike the mix of serious and light weight that Matt Cooper etc does.

Though RTE annoys me, it would have to be pretty bad to make me switch to Newstalk or TodayFM. Used to listen to 5Live in the evenings and found it so much better than Irish talk radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The one major major issue with Irish radio is that its so male dominated. Its unbelieveable really to look at the lineups of really any of the radio stations but particularly Today FM and Newstalk, and see how few women there are at peak slots.

Its almost as if they think diversity is a bad thing.

Both Peak slots, Breakfast and drive have female presenters now on Newstalk. Louise Duffy was given a chance on Today FM primetime and flopped.

I do agree there is a lack of women in radio, however I don't see it as any gender bias, the reason males are on more is because more males seem to be interested in radio. Growing up around friends who where interested in radio I found very few females, the few that did stick with it got some work, got jobs as DJ's or even on air, and two actually went into more modern media.

I'm sure someone who works in the industry would have a better insight into how many females they see day to day in a station and maybe have a rationale as to why don't get as many jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    any football fans amoung you listen to james richardson's guardian podcasts? i enjoy those. probably wont know who that is if you don't like football though.

Only listen to it if Barry Glendenning is on

Yes but only for news and current affairs. Morning Ireland, Today with SO, News at One, Drivetime. Nothing else really. I love talk radio and can't stand music DJs and their ramblings. And I generally dislike the mix of serious and light weight that Matt Cooper etc does.

Though RTE annoys me, it would have to be pretty bad to make me switch to Newstalk or TodayFM. Used to listen to 5Live in the evenings and found it so much better than Irish talk radio.

oh ya i grew up with 5 live, i rememer it would have been the early-mid 90's and i came accross it one night. i used to listen to 5live sport from 7 in the evenings. i used to listen to all the commentaries of live games, loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

BBC Radio 4 on long wave is on all the time here with the occasional change to RTE Radio 1 also on long wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Finding myself listening to way more podcasts these days. Today FM from 9 - 2:30 then podcasts or Spotify the rest of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

My alarm is set to today FM and from 7am till around 6pm the radio stays on in my house. I love radio, don't have a TV, if I watch anything its from online streaming sites

My alarm is set to today FM and from 7am till around 6pm the radio stays on in my house. I love radio, don't have a TV, if I watch anything its from online streaming sites

wow i could not imagine life without tv. literally couldn't do it. i live on sports, watch hours on end of it every week. could not live without it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I have a radio in the kitchen so I listen to that if I'm in there cooking or whatever. It's tuned to Nova but I turn it down when the DJs start jabbing on in a not very funny way. Pat something on the drive time show in the worst, Sinead whatever on the evening show i OK in small doses.

I'd listen in total for about 20 minutes a day.

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    wow i could not imagine life without tv. literally couldn't do it. i live on sports, watch hours on end of it every week. could not live without it.

Had no TV here for 30 years, long story but got one about two years ago but only have it on for a couple of hours late in the evening.

my3cents wrote: »
    Had no TV here for 30 years, long story but got one about two years ago but only have it on for a couple of hours late in the evening.

Don't worry, you missed nothing.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't worry, you missed nothing.

Still can't get RTE so I'm still not missing anything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I have a radio in the kitchen so I listen to that if I'm in there cooking or whatever. It's tuned to Nova but I turn it down when the DJs start jabbing on in a not very funny way. Pat something on the drive time show in the worst, Sinead whatever on the evening show i OK in small doses.

I'd listen in total for about 20 minutes a day.

That would be Pat Courtenay and, apparently, Sinead Ni Mhordha. Sinead was let go by the way! The female voice the last couple of weeks was Lisa Gernon.

I still am a radio fan but I tend to switch around a lot. For talk shows, it tends to be Newstalk or the Last Word on Today FM. On the music front, I am more inclined towards Radio Nova and TXFM, but have been known to listen to 4FM or Today FM (evenings for Today FM if at all). I am not a great fan of Radio 1 or 2FM. I may make exceptions for Radio 1 for election results, etc.

I always am on the lookout for more interesting music-driven stations, whether that is pirate station or, more likely, temporary-licensed one, e.g. 8Radio.com.

You will note I am very much the old-fashioned radio listener, but I do listen to some of the digital stations on Virgin Media from time to time. If I update my phone, who knows what I will listen to?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've given up. I used to have RTE1 on a fair bit for the current affairs but I'm sick of the same old drivel, the same old light pandering interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I find myself a bit stuck since the NT changes as I quite liked Ivan and Chris on the drive in. Now I listen to RTE R1 or MP3s for the most part.

As a podcast virgin though, are there any apps etc that people would recommend in particular? (for Android). I keep hearing about Spotify too... must try that out - especially as the car I'm considering buying in the next few days has Bluetooth, media interfaces and DAB all built-in.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I find myself a bit stuck since the NT changes as I quite liked Ivan and Chris on the drive in. Now I listen to RTE R1 or MP3s for the most part.

As a podcast virgin though, are there any apps etc that people would recommend in particular? (for Android). I keep hearing about Spotify too... must try that out - especially as the car I'm considering buying in the next few days has Bluetooth, media interfaces and DAB all built-in.

If you really want to rattle your brain you could try some BBC radio 4 mp3 podcasts http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01gyd7j/episodes/downloads science history philosophy its all in there somewhere and of course plenty of choice at http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

So glad we can still get BBC Radio 4 on longwave !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Jrop wrote: »
    yes I listen to the radio a lot. One of the first things I do in the morning is turn off the bbc iplayer.
    When I come home from work the radio goes on again.

I love the radio but am a complete and utter dunce at technology. How do you listen to BBC iPlayer? Do you need a iphone/ipad? On a laptop I think it says BBC player not available in ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm driving 20 to 25 hours a week so love radio while I drive. Almost all talk radio though. Newstalk breakfast and pat Kenny. Nova till 1pm then rte1 for the news and liveline. After that I'm usually too tired to care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bobbyss wrote: »
    I love the radio but am a complete and utter dunce at technology. How do you listen to BBC iPlayer? Do you need a iphone/ipad? On a laptop I think it says BBC player not available in ROI.

BBC radio iPlayer is not geoblocked so you can listen from ireland, on computer via the website or via various apps if you have a smart phone.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Spend about 2.5 hours per day listening to the radio. Mostly talk radio stations and current affairs. I often listen to American stations for the crazy opinions. If I'm driving I like some music stations as I get bored with my own playlists and it makes a change to have songs you'd otherwise skip and hear something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I use BeyondPod on Android and it's great

bobbyss wrote: »

OLD SCHOOL! For BBC radio 4 get yourself a Long Wave radio. Roberts and Sony are two companies that still sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

LMFM in the car. I used to listen to BBC Radio 2 a while back when knob Chris Evans must have been on leave and it was great. He's back now so it's back to LMFM. Might change to CD if talking goes on a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

FrostyJim wrote: »
    BBC radio iPlayer is not geoblocked so you can listen from ireland, on computer via the website or via various apps if you have a smart phone.

I tried to listen to it on my Windows Phone but I don't think I can on that?
    Yet one more reason to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

- Marty In The Morning before I leave the house, and a quick check with Live Drive. It's Marty again in the car, or Live Drive, if there's an issue. My commute is short, though.

- Whatever is on in work. Nobody can seem to stick to a station. We've been through every station, bar talk radio, and the station is changed. It's mainly due to repetiton and music that some don't like.

- Live Drive is on driving home.

I don't listen to much radio in the evenings.

Weekends tend to be Mike Moloney on a Saturday and, if I'm in on a Saturday, the excellent The Beat Goes on. Sundays then are John Clarke, not much during the rest of the day, then The Beat Goes On in the evening.

I will tend to listen to Late Date every night. I don't hear it all, but I like the music before I go asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

7am -9am - mix of RTE 1 and Raidio Na Gaeltachta
    9am Radio Kerry -- you can't miss "Kerry Today" :)
    Noon -- 1.30 R na G and R1 - Newstalk is out since George Hook moved to High Noon
    Afternoon is Moncrieff if I get to the radio at all -- can't abide the R1 line up of Duffy and D'arcy
    Drivetime is split between R1 and Today FM and radio most days finishes with the local news on Radio Kerry and Rna G from 5.30 to 6.30.
    Sometimes I get to hear the midnight news and eventually the shipping forecast on BBC R4 - though the LW signal down to us here can be crackly at times

KReid wrote: »
    Both Peak slots, Breakfast and drive have female presenters now on Newstalk. Louise Duffy was given a chance on Today FM primetime and flopped.

I do agree there is a lack of women in radio, however I don't see it as any gender bias, the reason males are on more is because more males seem to be interested in radio. Growing up around friends who where interested in radio I found very few females, the few that did stick with it got some work, got jobs as DJ's or even on air, and two actually went into more modern media.

I'm sure someone who works in the industry would have a better insight into how many females they see day to day in a station and maybe have a rationale as to why don't get as many jobs.

They have female co-presenters; on the morning show that be 1 in a group of 4.

Newstalk has 6 radio presenters who do a show as the solo presenter. They are all men.

They have 16 presenters over the course of a daily schedule. 2 of those are women.

The stats......please show me.....how this demonstrates Gender balance.

And to your point - is that reflective of the audience?

Is 1/8th of radio listenership female?

Is it representative of media course in colleges?

Is 1/8th of enrolment in those course female?

I would put it to you that yes - more men are going to be interested in radio if the radio show is a three hour show about sport, hosted by men.

Your anecdotal arguments are not backed up by stats.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/tune-in-half-of-radio-listeners-are-women-365330.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    They have female co-presenters; on the morning show that be 1 in a group of 4.

Newstalk has 6 radio presenters who do a show as the solo presenter. They are all men.

They have 16 presenters over the course of a daily schedule. 2 of those are women.

The stats......please show me.....how this demonstrates Gender balance.

And to your point - is that reflective of the audience?

Is 1/8th of radio listenership female?

Is it representative of media course in colleges?

Is 1/8th of enrolment in those course female?

I would put it to you that yes - more men are going to be interested in radio if the radio show is a three hour show about sport, hosted by men.

Your anecdotal arguments are not backed up by stats.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/tune-in-half-of-radio-listeners-are-women-365330.html

Wait though...why does there need to be a gender balance? Why do we have to say that because a percentage of the listenership is a certain demograhpic that we need to reflect that in the presenter. I'm sure newstalk can point to their listnership and say "Ye, we feel happy enough with the overall figure here, let's keep things the same" instead of making change for changes sake.

I'll clarify, when I said more men are interested in radio, I meant from my experiences, growing up in around pop-ups, pirates, community stations, more men were actively involved, they seemed to like the engeineering side to it, messing with buttons and faders and making it work, not as listeners, I wouldn't know the breakdown of how many males or females listen to a given station.

Sorry if my arguments are anecdotal arguments but I haven't decided to write a thesis on it and start gathering primary evidence on the matter, I do know that a letter written into a media outlet wouldn't carry much weight though so I don't see it's relevance here.

It would be interesting to hear from others who got involved in radio when they where younger or who are involved now about how many females they encounter in a radio station, especially on the broadcasting side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Very rarely nowadays, a little alternative American radio and very little national radio, mainly podcasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

NIMAN wrote: »
    I do listen to a fair bit to be honest, mostly talk radio and news, as the days of me listening to 'pop' music are long gone!

I also enjoy listening to Joe Duffy the odd time so I can shout at the radio.

I'm the same.

I listen from 7am - 1am all talk, LBC,RTE 1,NT,NPR,BBC Radio 4, 4 Extra,BBW WS,Talk 702 and 2GB.

At work I listen to music via USB as I have to concentrate smile.png

I would say radio is still a bigger part of peoples lives than many think.

I have it on most time in the house when I'm walking about, would never think of having TV on during day, its not the same. TV doesn't provide background entertainment.

Plus at work its acceptable to listen to radio, TV not so much so!!

Up until 2007 I'd happily leave 2FM on constantly from 7am until 7pm when Dave Fanning started. Since then I wound down gradually and can't stand it now. Nowadays it's usually Nova in the mornings and Radio 1 for John Creedon and Late Date. Nothing much else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yep, Chris Moyles in the morning.

Livedrive at the start of each journey (7am, 4pm for ten minutes), if it's raining or I'm travelling at a time I wouldn't normally travel (ie, leave work at 6 instead of 4).

Maybe Morning Ireland or Drivetime.

and RTE Gold on the DAB in the kitchen if me and the mrs are there together (we have different music tastes, so my Spotify playlists would annoy her and vice versa).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Yes, usually alternating between Radio 1 and Radio 1 Extra on DAB for talk radio, music I tend to hop between any of the stations until I find a song I like. There are some stations (mostly pirates) that dominate my weekend listening though.

I can setup streaming, and any of the apps will do but this frequently cuts when travelling between cities once the signal drops to EDGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Like listening to RTE Gold throughout the day, now that I got a DAB Radio, can also get to listen to it on the Smartphone app as well when on the bus going to and from work.. No news, adds, sport just good music.

Advertisement