Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plane?! (Docks area)

Options
  • 14-10-2016 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Working away here and I've heard a super loud plane passing by a few times. Looked out the window just now and was surprised to see how low it's flying over the resedential area! Anyone know what it is?! Am I missing something that's worth sacrificing my lunch break for?! :)

Comments

It's an Air Corps Pilateus doing some acrobatics - gone again I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I can hear it too.

I'm watching Narcos at the moment so every time I hear it I figure its DEA/CIA listening to everyones conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Its a high-tech pigeon scarer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm watching Narcos at the moment so every time I hear it I figure its DEA/CIA listening to everyones conversations.

Best crack out the tin foil anyway. Just to be safe... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Man I miss the airshow. That fear / excitement inducing sound of a military jet overhead - fantastic! :D

• Advertisement

Its gone now but was definitely speedy, was thinking myself that it was flying too low considering the racket of the jet engines, circled by here about 8 times so was getting curious as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is some kind of event taking place in Renmore Barracks today, it was there for that, on every pass over the Barracks it had smoke on, lovely to see and as another poster said I also miss the Salthill Airshow they were great times out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They had booming helicopters yesterday and rat a tat a tat a tat shooting practice that you could hear all the way west to Grattan beach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Those planes will be out here again on Monday according to the radio.

At least we can rest assured it was not a case that our local para-glider upgraded his mode of transport. :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

snubbleste wrote: »
    They had booming helicopters yesterday and rat a tat a tat a tat shooting practice that you could hear all the way west to Grattan beach

Something like that l would love for an airshow (& groundshow as per rat a tat a tat stuff). Just as long as they don't involve the non-neutral countries .

I'm serious btw.

• Advertisement

There will be a flypast of the Docks on Monday as the newest Irish Naval Ship "William Butler Yeats" will be commissioned into the Navy and will be twinned with Galway City, she arrived in yesterday beautiful and pretty big ship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

William Butler Years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Not sure I like this trend of naming our defense ships after poets. Who came up with this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Not sure I like this trend of naming our defense ships after poets.

Symbolic...Cause they were killer with a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Symbolic...Cause they were killer with a pen

No it's because the pen is mightier than the sword!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Flyover the docks today @ 12.30pm

The planes route will be from the racecourse direction, over the G Hotel, over the docks (with smoke) & out over Salthill as they return to Baldonnel.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

They are doing circles over Mervue/Merlin Park right now. Been around about 10 times now. Probably waiting to go in for the show.
    I saw the WBY on Sat in the Docks. Yeah, a fine looking vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Can hear them out in Parkmore too, i thought we were under attack!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

4planes circulating ballybrit and parkmore all mornign now, too, look military .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's like Top Gun out here in Parkmore for the last while!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

that was something different watching them do the holding pattern laps around the racecourse, lovely sound off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

I hadnt been aware of this and I just spotted the thread when looking at another post. They just flew over Eyre Square, glad I wasn't up a ladder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Great to see them circling around Parkmore this morning.

It's a pity they didn't schedule the event at a time that more people/families could attend. But judging from the covered barriers put up around the docks maybe it's a private ceremony. There is always a public interest in any air display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway K9 wrote: »
    4planes circulating ballybrit and parkmore all mornign now, too, look military .

The Mayos are invading.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

The flying club flying around in their Pilatus noise makers. They are restricted in speed below a certain level because of a tendency to fly into things if they go to fast !

J o e wrote: »
    It's a pity they didn't schedule the event at a time that more people/families could attend. But judging from the covered barriers put up around the docks maybe it's a private ceremony. There is always a public interest in any air display.

If they had promoted the ceremony, the usual crew from GAAW would probably have been out in force unfortunately :(

mookishboy wrote: »
    The flying club flying around in their Pilatus noise makers. They are restricted in speed below a certain level because of a tendency to fly into things if they go to fast !

That is one disgusting comment

• Advertisement

mookishboy wrote: »

WTF?

Advertisement