Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English ORAL EXAM JC

Options
  • 14-10-2016 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I know this is in abeyance t the moment in ASTI school but have teachers done them ? TUI? Or ASTI had a practice run. My own presumption is that this will remain once a settlement is reached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I did mine in May and have posted about it in another thread. Instead of a Summer exam, my colleagues and I recorded our students giving a presentation and assessed them using the descriptors.

As teachers we have to teach the curriculum and this now requires oral skills, so whether a teacher is assessing them for a CBA or not, oral skills need to be taught and practised. This is anecdotal of course, but I have spoken to many ASTI teachers who are carrying out and practising oral presentations, but as long as they are not assessing them using the descriptors, they are teaching the curriculum and not breaking any directive.

Don't forget that the old Junior Cert English course had an oral component but it was dropped (hence the exam being marked ex.360) and now 20 years later, it is now being included, so, no, I don't think it's going anywhere.

Advertisement