Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Union School - Strike?

Options
  • 14-10-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Does anyone know the procedure for TUI members of a dual Union school during an ASTI strike? I assume TUI members refuse to cross picket? Are we docked pay if we do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Does anyone know the procedure for TUI members of a dual Union school during an ASTI strike? I assume TUI members refuse to cross picket? Are we docked pay if we do so?
    You'll have to sign a disclaimer stating your available for work,u don't have to go in but you won't be docked pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't think it will be that straight forward at all. If the school can remain operational with just TUI members (if majority TUI) then I think it will be expected to open. Even with both on strike last time other staff had to go in in my school and several others - SNAs, secretaries, even non union teachers. Not all managers are going to make it so easy!

The issue will be whether TUI officially decide not to pass a picket. I sincerely hope TUI would never tell members to pass a picket. I would hope if that happened then ASTI would abandon all standing agreements with TUI and accept members from TUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

I don't think it will be that straight forward at all. If the school can remain operational with just TUI members (if majority TUI) then I think it will be expected to open. Even with both on strike last time other staff had to go in in my school and several others - SNAs, secretaries, even non union teachers. Not all managers are going to make it so easy!

The issue will be whether TUI officially decide not to pass a picket. I sincerely hope TUI would never tell members to pass a picket. I would hope if that happened then ASTI would abandon all standing agreements with TUI and accept members from TUI.

That was the case in our place,an ETB School with 50/50 membership when the TUI were out & non TUI weren't

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

This is what I'm afraid of. I think it could cause some terrible tension in what is normally a very harmonious staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

sandyxxx wrote: »
    That was the case in our place,an ETB School with 50/50 membership when the TUI were out & non TUI weren't

I'm not doubting your experience but it can't be generalised to other schools and settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The unions will agree something and advise us what to do because dual union schools are only a small part and they won't want the hassle.
    Imagine if a dual union school had 1 asti member who was say covering a mat leave.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It will very likely be signing a form to declare availability for any strike days that go ahead.
    Dual union schools will close on the strike days for health and safety reasons and so TUI staff won't have to cross a picket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What happens if you are officially a dual union school but in reality have no ASTI members on staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What happens if you are officially a dual union school but in reality have no ASTI members on staff?

I would dare to make the assumption that as there are no asti staff, then there is no strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The dept insisted we fill out the forms even though we are all TUI. I know there'll be no strikers, I guess I wonder if they are going to have some sort of other silly system that we have to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It will very likely be signing a form to declare availability for any strike days that go ahead.
    Dual union schools will close on the strike days for health and safety reasons and so TUI staff won't have to cross a picket.

I know of dual union schools where TUI members were in the last time while ASTI were out on strike.

Advertisement