Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Different profile size tyres front and rear?

• 14-10-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

My car has 205/60/16 tyres allround.
    But front two now getting baldish..i have two good cond 205/75/16 tyres in shed.
    Any reason not to fit these??? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

spacekiwi wrote: »
    My car has 205/60/16 tyres allround.
    But front two now getting baldish..i have two good cond 205/75/16 tyres in shed.
    Any reason not to fit these??? Thanks.

If you have any traction control, stability control etc it might throw a wobbler over the difference between the axles.
    Did they come off a van or what, seems like an odd size for a car tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Off a small van... i know it will pass nct as long as both on same axel.
    Just didnt know if it would affect car driving..
    Will prob put them both on rear and move originals to front ...
    Have no traction cont or anything, so should be ok there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Whichever end you put them on is going to end up raising the car at least a good 25mm or more higher than a 60% profile....that could affect steering, braking, and as another poster suggested any traction control or dynamic stability system fitted to the car. It could upset how your speedometer reads as well.

I wouldn't put a tyre on that isn't one of the manufacturer's specified sizes - you might find those listed in your vehicle's handbook or printed on the door pillar where the tyre pressures are listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lower profile tyres should be on the rear.

Not your ornery onager

I used to have a Rav4 and it had two different sized tyres.

It was originally because i needed to replace 2 tyres and realised the previous owner had the wrong size on it. So I got two new tyres the proper size (bigger than what was on it) and put them on the back. The size difference wasn't huge, but it actually looked good as the Rav kinda leaned forward a small bit cos of the bigger tyres on the back. Looked aggressive.

That said, when i did sort the tyres out the only difference i was aware of was that the speedometer was reading marginally different. Never noticed any difference in steering or braking. But again, tyre sizes weren't massively different to start with. Can't recall what they were though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Depending on the car they could catch the body work. That's a huge difference in profile for a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's about 6cm difference in diameter, which is a huge difference.

Also 75% profile tyres are van tyres with a much higher than normal load index meaning much stiffer sidewalls which will affect the handling and ride.

In short, don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Your insurance will likely be invalidated if the wrong size tyres were found to be fitted from front to rear.
    Believe me the first thing any insurance assessor does is look at tyres.

Advertisement