Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consequences of breaking notice period

Options
  • 14-10-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been in my job since leaving college. I am in a middle management position and after my last promotion signed a contract stating I have to give 2 months notice for termination.

I am now looking at a career change, which will most likely result in me taking a more junior position. I am worried that hiring companies will be put off by my 2 month notice period.

I am wondering realistically what are the consequences of me handing in my notice to my current job with just one month? We are very understaffed right now so I don't think they will be in a mood to compromise, but what can they really do? I've not applied for much yet, but this issue is causing me some worry before I can even start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You won't get a good reference and you probably won't get hired by that company. If it's a very small industry then, you know, people talk.

Legally? You'd be fine. Hiring processes are long anyway so tell whatever company it's 2 months and you'll try negotiate it down to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If it's a company in a similar industry as the one that you currently work in, then they'll surely understand about the 2 month notice. Particularly, for more senior roles. I had to give 2 months notice in a previous role (funds industry) and it wasn't a problem when seeking new roles in that same industry. If you are considered an excellent candidate, the new company will wait for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Go for the job hunt with all your energy. Once you have an offer, discuss the notice period. At that point, you can talk to your current company about a shorter notice, or if you plan in advance, save your holidays and use these to shorten your notice if they insist on it.

But don't worry about it in advance, it is not exactly rare.

Advertisement