If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the cable I am looking for exist?

Options
  • 14-10-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi guys.  I am looking to buy an AV receiver from you.  I have a 5.1 surround sound system now but my receiver is on it's last legs...and is very, very old to boot.  Anyway I would like to keep using my old speakers at least for now.  From looking at the receiver that I want on your website, it appears that all of my speakers will connect to it just fine except for my sub-woofer.  My sub-woofer connects to my currant receive just with the speaker cable and the red and black clips...the new receiver I am looking at doesn't have this for the sub-woofer however, it only has an audio jack looking connection.  Is there a cable I can get so I can connect my sub-woofer to my new system?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Ohoopee wrote: »
    Hi guys.  I am looking to buy an AV receiver from you.  I have a 5.1 surround sound system now but my receiver is on it's last legs...and is very, very old to boot.  Anyway I would like to keep using my old speakers at least for now.  From looking at the receiver that I want on your website, it appears that all of my speakers will connect to it just fine except for my sub-woofer.  My sub-woofer connects to my currant receive just with the speaker cable and the red and black clips...the new receiver I am looking at doesn't have this for the sub-woofer however, it only has an audio jack looking connection.  Is there a cable I can get so I can connect my sub-woofer to my new system?
    Hi ohoopee,

From what you're describing it sounds as though you have a passive subwoofer which is powered by the amplifier through standard speaker cable. The majority of AV receivers will only output a line signal to an active subwoofer which powers itself with a built in amp. Active subs are much more powerful and give a better sound as well as allowing the amplifier to dedicate more power to the surrounds. There is no way to connect a passive sub to an amplifier with an active output, you would really need to change the subwoofer as well. They start off at about £99 for a decent one.

Let me know what you think.

Many thanks

David

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ohoopee

Thanks for the reply.  I might need some help in picking out a good sub then..I just went back to the receiver I wanted on your website and the price has gone up...apparently it was on sale and the sale has ended?  Anyway that is going to make getting a sub harder and I might have to wait now.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks for the reply.  I might need some help in picking out a good sub then..I just went back to the receiver I wanted on your website and the price has gone up...apparently it was on sale and the sale has ended?  Anyway that is going to make getting a sub harder and I might have to wait now.
    Which sub and receiver were you looking at and we will see what we can do on it for you,

John mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for the reply. I might need some help in picking out a good sub then..I just went back to the receiver I wanted on your website and the price has gone up...apparently it was on sale and the sale has ended? Anyway that is going to make getting a sub harder and I might have to wait now.
    Which sub and receiver were you looking at and we will see what we can do on it for you,

John mc
    I am looking at the Onkyo TX-SR444. I do intend to upgrade all of my speakers eventually but I just don't have the money for that at the moment. I have not really been looking at a subwoofer as I was hoping my old one would work...which you say it won't. So I would welcome recommendations. I can't afford top of the line but the quality of the sound is the most important thing. The room my system is set up in is not very big but I would still like to be able to tell I have a subwoofer..I have listen to others in the the sub seemed to get downed out. But price is also a concern..I would like good value as well.

Thanks for the reply.  I might need some help in picking out a good sub then..I just went back to the receiver I wanted on your website and the price has gone up...apparently it was on sale and the sale has ended?  Anyway that is going to make getting a sub harder and I might have to wait now.

John mc
    I am looking at the Onkyo TX-SR444.  I do intend to upgrade all of my speakers eventually but I just don't have the money for that at the moment.  I have not really been looking at a subwoofer as I was hoping my old one would work...which you say it won't.  So I would welcome recommendations.  I can't afford top of the line but the quality of the sound is the most important thing.  The room my system is set up in is not very big but I would still like to be able to tell I have a subwoofer..I have listen to others in the the sub seemed to get downed out.  But price is also a concern..I would like good value as well.
    Hi Ohoopee,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The best priced subwoofer would definitely be the Tannoy SFX sub. It usually runs at £119 but I could do it for you for £100:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/tannoy/sfx-sub/tann-sfx-sub-blk

It is a very good entry level sub but if you were able to stretch the budget a little I would recommend the Q Acoustics 2070i. Now this normally costs £219 but I could do it for £199. It really is a fantastic sub. It's quite long but has twin forward firing drivers and packs a punch that destroys most other subs at that price point. It's on offer at the minute as it has been replaced by the 3070 (which is £379 and sounds quite similar):

http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/q-acoustics/2070i/qaco-2070i-graph

Shipping for both of those items would be £6.99.

Let me know if either would be of interest to you.

Many thanks

David

• Advertisement

oHoope,

just as an addition to Davis post - if you went for the TXSR444 WITH the Tannoy sub at the same time as a bundle we can do the combo reduced from £417 to just £369 including delivery :D

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

oHoope,

just as an addition to Davis post - if you went for the TXSR444 WITH the Tannoy sub at the same time as a bundle we can do the combo reduced from £417 to just £369 including delivery :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    What would the price be Euros?  For the money, I would rather have the Q Acoustics Sub...based on the difference in price and the reviews I have read online...Any chance you could cut me a packae for the TXSR444 with the Q Acoustics?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

oHoope,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    What would the price be Euros?  For the money, I would rather have the Q Acoustics Sub...based on the difference in price and the reviews I have read online...Any chance you could cut me a packae for the TXSR444 with the Q Acoustics?
    HI Ohoopee

With the SFX sub the package price in euro best I could do would be €485. If you wanted the package with the Q Acoustic 2070 sub, I could do that for you at €589 if you were interested?

Cheers
    Brian

oHoope,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    HI Ohoopee

With the SFX sub the package price in euro best I could do would be €485. If you wanted the package with the Q Acoustic 2070 sub, I could do that for you at €589 if you were interested?

Cheers
    Brian
    I appreciate that you are willing to work with me.  So how do I get the package?  Ring the number and mention this post?

Thanks again ohoopee,

Yep you can give the guys a bell on 0044 333 900 0070 and they will look after you - or better again just drop us a PM or a mail to sales@richersounds.ie with your contact number and one of the guys will give YOU a bell to save you trying to get through and we will get teh delivery all arranged for you.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Thanks again ohoopee,

Yep you can give the guys a bell on 0044 333 900 0070 and they will look after you - or better again just drop us a PM or a mail to sales@richersounds.ie with your contact number and one of the guys will give YOU a bell to save you trying to get through and we will get teh delivery all arranged for you.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I noticed that the Q Acoustics 2070i sub is currently on sale on your website.  Does this affect the package price that you offered me before?  I am still interested but I found a brand new unopened Onkyo TX-SR444 on ebay that I am currently bidding on and am currently winning which is cheaper than yours...I know you won't match a bid on Ebay so I am waiting to see what happens.  How long will the sale last on the Q Acoustics 2070i?

I'm always afraid to completely commit as to what way pricing will go - as I'm sure this depends on lots of factors including supply, local competition and currencies - the 2070 sterling price is still at £219.95 but it will be reduced to €249.99 euro today( € including shipping ).

I love eBay but just as a note of caution watch out for the delivery charges - I see there is an Insurance replacement Onkyo TXSR444 available at the moment and the bidding is at £220 with 4 days to go but the delivery is over £26 - at the moment its less expensive than a BNIB unit from us but if it gets much more expensive then you would have to look at the warranty implications to see if its worth the saving - especially as you will lose the bundle pricing we were offering ( obviously if you are only purchasing a single unit, the price will revert to the published price)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I'm always afraid to completely commit as to what way pricing will go - as I'm sure this depends on lots of factors including supply, local competition and currencies - the 2070 sterling price is still at £219.95 but it will be reduced to €249.99 euro today( € including shipping ).

I love eBay but just as a note of caution watch out for the delivery charges - I see there is an Insurance replacement Onkyo TXSR444 available at the moment and the bidding is at £220 with 4 days to go but the delivery is over £26 - at the moment its less expensive than a BNIB unit from us but if it gets much more expensive then you would have to look at the warranty implications to see if its worth the saving - especially as you will lose the bundle pricing we were offering ( obviously if you are only purchasing a single unit, the price will revert to the published price)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Point well taken John and after looking at the package I was offered above for the TXSR444 and the sub, it is actually cheaper than if I got this unit off ebay at the currant bid and then bought the sub...your deal is better if only by about 30 Euro or so....and yours will come with a full warranty. I'm retracting my bid. ;)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Point well taken John and after looking at the package I was offered above for the TXSR444 and the sub, it is actually cheaper than if I got this unit off ebay at the currant bid and then bought the sub...your deal is better if only by about 30 Euro or so....and yours will come with a full warranty.  I'm retracting my bid. ;)
    No problem at all Ohoopee.

Lets us know what you decided to do and we can get you sorted with what you require :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Point well taken John and after looking at the package I was offered above for the TXSR444 and the sub, it is actually cheaper than if I got this unit off ebay at the currant bid and then bought the sub...your deal is better if only by about 30 Euro or so....and yours will come with a full warranty.  I'm retracting my bid. ;)

Lets us know what you decided to do and we can get you sorted with what you require :D
    Thanks,  I am ready to move on this as soon as Thursday (payday) I have sent John a PM with my contact details and requested a call back on Thursday morning so I can get this moving.  Thanks for all the advise and for the packaging deals.  You guys are great and I will be back when it is time to upgrade my other speakers. :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks,  I am ready to move on this as soon as Thursday (payday) I have sent John a PM with my contact details and requested a call back on Thursday morning so I can get this moving.  Thanks for all the advise and for the packaging deals.  You guys are great and I will be back when it is time to upgrade my other speakers. :D
    Hey Ohoopee.

No problem at all.

Can you forward me the PM also please. Sometimes / most times John is crazy mad busy.

If you drop it too myself I can look after personally on Thursday for you.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey Ohoopee.

No problem at all.

Can you forward me the PM also please. Sometimes / most times John is crazy mad busy.

Done...just sent the PM. ;)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey Ohoopee.

No problem at all.

Done...just sent the PM. ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.