Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is everyone going on strike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Of course they are going to seek pay restoration, rightly or wrongly. The thing is though. I ask myself when many are admittedly on very modest wages, why are they having to fight for them. When the government had several hundred million to dole out on increased welfare and the Xmas bonus, for people doing nothing?

Rising ps pay, taking workers out of the tax net and welfare increases. Half way there to bust again, the other ingredients are loosening of central bank mortgage rules which government are desperate for and global crisis ...

Won't be surprised if we have to learn the lesson a third time round... But it won't matter, as kenny has made history now they have power short term, that's all that matters ...

The Muppet wrote: »
    Is that the same cso which told us ireland had a growth rate of over 26% last year ?

Figures broadly described as fiction .

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/do-not-be-fooled-by-bizarre-fiction-of-cso-growth-figures-1.2719555

I wouldn't be putting much faith in their calculations .

So if it was the other way round where the CSO stats were showing Private Sector pay was higher than Public Sector pay, you would dismiss those figures as well? And not use it as a basis for an argument to increase public sector pay?

L wrote: »
    Gardai start on 23k. They're not well paid.

And in Year 2, it raises to 28k. Add in the 4k Rent Allowance that the Govt offered to restore and it becomes 32k. Add in Overnight / Weekend / Sunday allowances and it becomes 33k.

So by Year 2, they are already earning the average wage in Ireland.

And Garda pay continues to rise in the following years, putting them well above the average wage.

And on top of that, they are demanding even more even though the country is still running at a loss.

Get up the yard with your 'they are not well paid' bluff.

salonfire wrote: »
    And in Year 2, it raises to 28k. Add in the 4k Rent Allowance that the Govt offered to restore and it becomes 32k. Add in Overnight / Weekend / Sunday allowances and it becomes 33k.

So by Year 2, they are already earning the average wage in Ireland.

And Garda pay continues to raise in the following years, putting them well above the average wage.

And on top of that, they are demanding even more even though the country is still running at a loss.

Get up the yard with your 'they are not well paid' bluff.

Incremental raises have been stopped.
    New gardai are on 23k for the first 3 years.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Incremental raises have been stopped.
    New gardai are on 23k for the first 3 years.

Care to expand on why they have been stopped?

Would it be because they opted to remain outside the LRA agreement?

Care to expand on why they have been stopped?

Would it be because they opted to remain outside the LRA agreement?

Obviously it is.
    However it's not really a negotiation when the government says ' here how about this?'
    Workers say no, that's not good enough we need to negotiate further.
    Then the government go ' no, take it and if you don't we will penalise you by stopping increments'

The point is, they are still in 23k for 3 years. So your figures above are wrong

Edit, and atm new recruits don't have the rent allowance, so unless/ until it is reinstated you can't count that either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Edit, and atm new recruits don't have the rent allowance, so unless/ until it is reinstated you can't count that either.

Wasn't the rent allowance part of the offer on the table?

Obviously it is.
    However it's not really a negotiation when the government says ' here how about this?'
    Workers say no, that's not good enough we need to negotiate further.
    Then the government go ' no, take it and if you don't we will penalise you by stopping increments'

The point is, they are still in 23k for 3 years. So your figures above are wrong

The Govt had offered to restore the rent allowance.

I am showing how by end of year 2, the garda would already be on the Irish average wage - if they signed up to LRA. The fact they didn't sign up to the LRA is on them. That's not including the partial restoration of pay from 2017 under LRA.

What exactly are you trying to say? Are you saying that already getting the average wage by end of Year 2 in the job - more with each passing year - is not enough ?

Then what is enough? Should we keep increasing the public pay until the unions say stop (or at least quit with the industrial action threats for another while), with complete dis-regard at how the private sector/economy at large is doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Graham wrote: »
    I hate to constantly debunk the myth you're peddling.

I'll leave it to the CSO

The fallacy of the CSO figure has been long explained and yet people keep trotting it out like its the Third Secret of Fatima.

For a start the CSO can't allow for the fact that there are jobs in the private sector that simply don't exist in the Public Sector (because there is no need for them) yet the wages for those same jobs are included in the comparison.

The Govt had offered to restore the rent allowance.

I am showing how by end of year 2, the garda would already be on the Irish average wage - if they signed up to LRA. The fact they didn't sign up to the LRA is on them. That's not including the partial restoration of pay from 2017 under LRA.

What exactly are you trying to say? Are you saying that already getting the average wage by end of Year 2 in the job - more with each passing year - is not enough ?

Then what is enough? Should we keep increasing the public pay until the unions say stop (or at least quit with the industrial action threats for another while), with complete dis-regard at how the private sector/economy at large is doing?

Why would they sign up to an agreement they weren't involved in negotiating?

GRA and AGSI weren't even in the room because they're not allowed in the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Jawgap wrote: »
    I hate to constantly debunk the myth you're peddling.

I'll leave it to the CSO

The fallacy of the CSO figure has been long explained and yet people keep trotting it out like its the Third Secret of Fatima.

For a start the CSO can't allow for the fact that there are jobs in the private sector that simply don't exist in the Public Sector (because there is no need for them) yet the wages for those same jobs are included in the comparison.

True and there are under the counter payments and off the book payments .bonuses perks . Putting part of a salary through the books and paying the rest cash in hand in the private sector that the CSO figures can not account for. Every cent of PS pay is accounted for.

Why would they sign up to an agreement they weren't involved in negotiating?

GRA and AGSI weren't even in the room because they're not allowed in the room.

When they were getting pay raises at the time Ireland was awash with money, they weren't in the room then either. Did they refuse these increases?

Or is it only when pay goes down suddenly they cannot agree to it?

When people were suffering pay cuts and job losses, do you think they 'were in the room'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When they were getting pay raises at the time Ireland was awash with money, they weren't in the room then either. Did they refuse these increases?

When people were suffering pay cuts and job losses, do you think they 'were in the room'?
    His point that they were not allowed discuss their own situation still stands. It's a situation no other section of workers has to endure and it's completely wrong.

By the way have you ever heard of any group refusing a pay increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

True and there are under the counter payments and off the book payments .bonuses perks . Putting part of a salary through the books and paying the rest cash in hand in the private sector that the CSO figures can not account for. Every cent of PS pay is accounted for.

This is not true for the vast majority of workers. I'm sure that it happens for a minority but for everyone else everything is taxed.
    In my own case I get health insurance (Tax, PRSI, USC and Insurance Levy). I am also eligible for a bonus. This is performance related (both mine and the companies) so may not be paid. This is also subject to all of the usual state deductions. I have never come across a company that pays anything under the table.

Your statement above is equivalent to "All PS workers are incompetent and sit on their backsides for 39 hours a week". We all know that this is untrue for >90% of PS workers but lets not let a bit of hyperbole get in they way of a proper discussion.

that's not really the point though is it?

The fact is they weren't in the room for any of the social partnership negotiations so to say there are a 'party' to them is somewhat incorrect.

And even when they were getting pay rises it's still a pretty rotten job - you have to deal with people at their worst. My brother and brothers-in-law are Guards and frankly you could pay me 3 or 4 times what I'm getting now (never mind what a Guard gets) and I wouldn't do that job in a fit - they've had everything from broken cheekbones, to a herniated disc and a needle stabbing - and that's leaving aside the regular spitting and verbal abuse they have to put up with.

And as I said earlier if people think its such a cushy number, apply - they're recruiting now - get the job and you'll be on easy street.

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    This is not true for the vast majority of workers. I'm sure that it happens for a minority but for everyone else everything is taxed.
    In my own case I get health insurance (Tax, PRSI, USC and Insurance Levy). I am also eligible for a bonus. This is performance related (both mine and the companies) so may not be paid. This is also subject to all of the usual state deductions. I have never come across a company that pays anything under the table.

Your statement above is equivalent to "All PS workers are incompetent and sit on their backsides for 39 hours a week". We all know that this is untrue for >90% of PS workers but lets not let a bit of hyperbole get in they way of a proper discussion.

I never said it was true for the majority of workers, but as you admit yourself it does happen and so it shows that the CSO figures for private sector pay being promoted here can not be accurate.

That's the only reason I made the point it certainly was not to detract from proper discussion, you can't have a proper discussion if relevant factors are to be discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I never said it was true for the majority of workers, but as you admit yourself it does happen and so it shows that the CSO figures for private sector pay being promoted here can not be accurate.

That's the only reason I made the point it certainly was not to detract from proper discussion, you can't have a proper discussion if relevant factors are to be discounted.

I accept that it probably happens, but not to an extent that it impacts the CSO figures for private sector pay. There are very few industries, apart from retail, that have sufficient unregulated cash to allow for such payments without some form of paper trail

:rolleyes:

If you're going to start throwing about about illegal activity you could equally (and incorrectly) suggest that PS pay rates are distorted by under the table payments for planning consent, penalty-points, lost evidence......

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    I accept that it probably happens, but not to an extent that it impacts the CSO figures for private sector pay. There are very few industries, apart from retail, that have sufficient unregulated cash to allow for such payments without some form of paper trail

Any payment not represented in the CSO figures would impact those figures would it not?

Retail is a massive sector but its not the only one has access to cash , It is estimated that the black economy costs the state € 6 billion annually.

• Advertisement

And as I said earlier if people think its such a cushy number, apply - they're recruiting now - get the job and you'll be on easy street.

Nobody suggested it was a cushy job. Where on earth did you get that from?

Any payment not represented in the CSO figures would impact those figures would it not?

Again???

Are you suggesting cash for passports, driving licenses, penalty-point vanishing, planning permission is all happening to such an extent that it effects CSO figures?

To be clear, I don't think it happens to any statistically relevant degree. I'm merely highlighting the absurdity of some of the points being made.

Again???

Are you suggesting cash for passports, driving licenses, penalty-point vanishing, planning permission is all happening to such an extent that it effects CSO figures?

ah you're clutching at straws now Graham, sure we may as well include proceeds from drug dealing , criminality etc in the private sector figures so and be done with it.

ah you're clutching at straws now Graham, sure we may as well include drug dealing , criminality in the private sector figures so and be done with it.

and in the public sector. Im glad you finally agree that it's a rather ridiculous misdirect. Perhaps you'll let that particular line of excusery drop.

Nobody suggested it was a cushy job. Where on earth did you get that from?

Well if people are suggesting someone is overpaid for what they do, then is it not reasonable to assume that people see the someone as being overpaid?

Lots of "I-don't-know-how-they-can't-survive-on-€x-per-year" etc type stories.

Well if people are suggesting someone is overpaid for what they do, then is it not reasonable to assume that people see the someone as being overpaid?

Lots of "I-don't-know-how-they-can't-survive-on-€x-per-year" etc type stories.

Which is entirely different to somebody suggesting Gardai have a cushy job.

• Advertisement

Which is entirely different to somebody suggesting Gardai have a cushy job.

Sorry, I mis-typed.....

if people see someone as overpaid for the job they do, then isn't it reasonable to assume that they see the job as 'cushy' relative to the salary paid?

if people see someone as overpaid for the job they do, then isn't it reasonable to assume that they see the job as 'cushy' relative to the salary paid?

No. Overpaid does not equal cushy.

Come to think of it, there's not been a huge amount of suggestion that Gardai are overpaid. The most common point is there is nothing left in the pot to increase the current pay significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

The general public should be pushing for lower cost of living...but instead self serving unions are justifying their positions by pushing for pay increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

newwan wrote: »
    Drivers, teachers, nurses likely and guards blu flu...
    What is going on?

The budget? An annual event where everyone lines up and holds out their hands?

No. Overpaid does not equal cushy.

Come to think of it, there's not been a huge amount of suggestion that Gardai are overpaid. The most common point is there is nothing left in the pot to increase the current pay significantly.

We're running trade surpluses.....

.....our debt pile is shrinking....

...the year on year deficit has been halved in absolute terms and in relation to GDP....

....the PBSR has halved in the last year.....

....reserves are up 14% on the last year....

....tax revenues are 1.5% ahead of profile and 5.7% up year on year

.....so really, you'd have to wonder why people believe the pot is empty?

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head without thinking too hard:

Our debt pile is still substantial.
    We've relatively little in reserve.
    Our public sector pay is already well above the EU average.
    At some point those public sector employees are going to retire, the burden on the state is going to be eye-watering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ah you're clutching at straws now Graham, sure we may as well include proceeds from drug dealing , criminality etc in the private sector figures so and be done with it.

By quoting your €6bn "black economy" number, that's exactly what you tried to do.

Because it is?
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/ireland/government-budget

ireland-government-budget.png?s=wbbgirel&v=201610011504o&d1=20010101&d2=20161018&type=column

We are still not covering the day-to-day running costs of the state. We have decimated capital expenditure in order to reduce this deficit, but we're still not able to.

The pot is empty and we're still using the credit card. That's probably why people think that the pot is empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

so really, you'd have to wonder why people believe the pot is empty?

Y-O-Y increases in 'X' tell an incomplete picture.

Look at it this way, public expenditure in 2017 will be the same as it was a decade ago in 2007.

That is 10 years of an aging, growing population & a decade of inflation eating away at what a given amount of money can deliver.

So, the Irish state is still very much cash-strapped.

Ireland simply cannot & should not go back to the Bertie/McCreevey spunking away of money they don't have.

Again???

blackwhite wrote: »

By quoting your €6bn "black economy" number, that's exactly what you tried to do.

I'm afraid you are wrong,

"undeclared lawful economic activity in Ireland was equivalent to 12.2pc of GDP in 2013 (the study does not include illegal activities such as drug dealing and pimping). "

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/dan-obrien/our-black-economy-is-small-but-it-should-shrink-even-further-31085003.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Y-O-Y increases in 'X' tell an incomplete picture.

Look at it this way, public expenditure in 2017 will be the same as it was a decade ago in 2007.

That is 10 years of an aging, growing population & a decade of inflation eating away at what a given amount of money can deliver.

So, the Irish state is still very much cash-strapped.

Ireland simply cannot & should not go back to the Bertie/McCreevey spunking away of money they don't have.
    So basically your party, FG, was spouting lies and nonsense for the past few months? (or was it all along?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So basically your party, FG, was spouting lies and nonsense for the past few months? (or was it all along?).

Probably.

If only we had an effective opposition eh!

If only the 100+ non-FG TD would form a government and deliver us from this evil!

"undeclared lawful economic activity in Ireland was equivalent to 12.2pc of GDP in 2013 (the study does not include illegal activities such as drug dealing and pimping). "

What a bizarre train of thought. There's undeclared economic activity so the PS deserve a pay rise.

I have to give you top marks for lateral thinking.

What a bizarre train of thought. There's undeclared economic activity so the PS deserve a pay rise.

I have to give you top marks for lateral thinking.

Thanks Graham, I'm suprised you cant see the relevance of a €6 billion loss to the exchequer through under the counter payments and the discussion. Its hardly an insignificant amount.

Let me guess we should discount that too yeah?

Thanks Graham, I'm suprised you cant see the relevance of a €6 billion loss to the exchequer through under the counter payments and the discussion.

So you're point still appears to be the PS deserve a pay rise because black economy.

Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

As a public servant myself, I certainly would not enter the public service in Ireland if starting out again.

Absolutely no way.

In each year of Bertie/McCreevy a budget surplus was recorded.

Wages across the economy rose and we all know the reasons why.

Wages across the economy rose and we all know the reasons why.

Spending money we don't have.

We shouldn't do it again.

that's not really the point though is it?

The fact is they weren't in the room for any of the social partnership negotiations so to say there are a 'party' to them is somewhat incorrect.

And even when they were getting pay rises it's still a pretty rotten job - you have to deal with people at their worst. My brother and brothers-in-law are Guards and frankly you could pay me 3 or 4 times what I'm getting now (never mind what a Guard gets) and I wouldn't do that job in a fit - they've had everything from broken cheekbones, to a herniated disc and a needle stabbing - and that's leaving aside the regular spitting and verbal abuse they have to put up with.

You have me really confused now.. are you saying that by giving the pay raises they want will fix the issues of violence they face? That increased pay will make a broken cheekbone less broken??

If they do get injured, they are compensated for it on top of the regular salary. So I don't know why you are bringing that into a discussion about pay.

And if you are going to make glib remarks suggesting we all apply, maybe you could do the courtesy of following up with substantive information on how exactly that would help the country afford union demands?

Thanks Graham, I'm suprised you cant see the relevance of a 6 billion loss to the exchequer through under the counter payments and the discussion.

So you're point still appears to be the PS deserve a pay rise because black economy.

Bizarre.

If that's your interpretation of what I said that's fine . Of course we both know that's not the case. At least you're consistant with your ostrich approach to some of the problems with our economy .

Spending money we don't have.

We shouldn't do it again.

We didn't do it in the first place. Do you know what a budget surplus is?

In each year of Bertienomics the country was spending less than it took in.

Fueled by charts that look like this.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp-from-construction
    ireland-gdp-from-construction.png?s=irelandgdpfrocon&v=201610011504o&d1=19160101&d2=20161231

Should we return to that? Any issues that might unearth?

ScreenHunter_04-Apr.-07-17.57.gif

And if you are going to make glib remarks suggesting we all apply, maybe you could do the courtesy of following up with substantive information on how exactly that would help the country afford union demands?

Union demands?

I haven't seen much in demands from the unions since 2008.

It is a simple fact that the state, since 2008, has asked public sector workers to pay more in deductions than any other worker, as they were asked to take higher cuts. This is beyond dispute as separate levies were installed on public sector workers, simply for being public sector workers and no other reason.

Now the "emergency" caused by the 2008 financial crash is going on longer than the emergency declared in September 1939 for WW2.

The resulting tax on....... wait for it .......... borrowed money and over-inflated property values.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not supportive of another round of imprudent lending to inflate property related activity in order to support a PS in a manner that it would like to become accustomed.

• Advertisement

The resulting tax on....... wait for it .......... borrowed money and over-inflated property values.

You claimed that the state was spending money it didn't have.
    That claim was wrong.

Advertisement