Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

• 14-10-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

skysports-liverpool-man-utd-mnf-premier-league_3807725.jpg?20161013130615

Possible lineups:

396407A200000578-3838311-image-a-11_1476478556819.jpg

Key match stats (supplied by Opta)

Liverpool have lost more Premier League matches (27) and also the most league matches (67) against Manchester United than versus any other opponent.

Liverpool have lost each of their last four Premier League clashes with Manchester United, their worst league losing streak against the Red Devils since March 2008 (five defeats).

Liverpool have lost their last two league meetings with Manchester United at Anfield; they last lost three home league games against United in January 2005.

This clash has seen 16 red cards shown in the Premier League; only Everton vs Liverpool (21) has produced more dismissals.

Juan Mata has had a hand in five goals in his last four appearances against Liverpool in the Premier League, scoring three and assisting two.

Only Steven Gerrard (8) has scored more goals in this Premier League fixture than Wayne Rooney (6 - level with Robbie Fowler).

Mourinho's summer arrival means Liverpool are almost a year ahead in their development and it is starting to show. Klopp will have his players pressing relentlessly, fighting to quickly win the ball back and attempting to overwhelm their opponents with the sheer intensity of their attacking. Mourinho, as he invariably does in these situations, is likely to play a more cagey style, looking to soak up the pressure and hit back on the break.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this the designated official thread? If not I didn't post this and you ain't seen me, right?.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think this thread should be closed. We need one of our own men starting a thread of this importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

In before lock, c'mon United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

48 infractions, 7 bans and 3 death threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mods be like:

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

I figure this thread has a life of 10 more minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah the All-Ireland Final, fantastic.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I figure this thread has a life of 10 more minutes

These threads are usually fairly tame most of the time. Hasn't been any controversy in these games in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Are the Brazilians back and ready for Liverpool?

I had heard there was a few players missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Toobz wrote: »
    Are the Brazilians back and ready for Liverpool?

I had heard there was a few players missing?

Where did you hear from ?
    Aunt Mary ?
    Some geezer in the boozer ?
    Or perhaps an auld granny in the local shop ?

Answers man, give me answers. I want to know where you heard this news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Will Klopp be doing studio analysis again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I expect to see hoofball from Man Utd & to target us with high balls. Fellaini will start & his elbows.

Utd had a great record against superior opposition last year so I wouldn't rule out a surprise here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hopefully a cracking game. Was watching highlights from Liverpool united games over the years and it would leave you wanting a good physical game like we used to but apart from the ref not allowing it I don't think neither team have them types of players anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

niallo27 wrote: »
    Utd had a great record against superior opposition last year so I wouldn't rule out a surprise here yet.

Meh last year counts for nothing same as form this year counts for very little. I think if bailly plays well he will make it hard for Liverpool attack and we need ibra to get in and make space for the likes of Rashford to dribble at the pool defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

niallo27 wrote: »

Are we still doing this joke now, in 2016?

Is this the designated official thread? If not I didn't post this and you ain't seen me, right?.

hqdefault.jpg

You're a brave man starting this thread! Can see it been locked until Sunday at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    You're a brave man starting this thread! Can see it been locked until Sunday at least

One of these two managers is bound to be a busted fish after this game :-)

One of these two managers is bound to be a busted fish after this game :-)

Draw written all over it

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Combined XI's anyone?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

YSB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A little early for the thread. It'll be re-opened closer to the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Day of the game, so the thread can be re-opened. It may be closed again if things derail. The Soccer forum charter showing the guidelines on abuse and trolling is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056320446

May the best team on the pitch win...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

If Liverpool score first within the opening 20 minutes it'll be a massacre and the beginning of the end of Jose's reign; if they don't it'll be a dour encounter until Mata or Herrera scuff in a jammy shot in the 78th minute to steal a jammy 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

sabat wrote: »
    If Liverpool score first within the opening 20 minutes it'll be a massacre and the beginning of the end of Jose's reign; if they don't it'll be a dour encounter until Mata or Herrera scuff in a jammy shot in the 78th minute to steal a jammy 0-1.

I think a lot of people for some reason think this could be a massacre and I don't see it, Liverpool are rightly favourites but it'll most likely be won by the odd goal.

I also don't think it will be the beginning of the end for Jose, hes been in the job 4 months and will be given a bit of time to get it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Classic rich club v poor club, united summer net spend 163 million and IBRA on a free v Liverpool's 500 k ,hopefully Liverpool will not be beaten by too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

sword1 wrote: »
    Classic rich club v poor club, united summer net spend 163 million and IBRA on a free v Liverpool's 500 k ,hopefully Liverpool will not be beaten by too much

Net Spend? That has not been done for a while :(

1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

duffman13 wrote: »
    Net Spend? That has not been done for a while :(

How do you describe money spent less the sales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

2-1 Liverpool without a shadow of doubt. Hoofball from united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

sabat wrote: »
    If Liverpool score first within the opening 20 minutes it'll be a massacre and the beginning of the end of Jose's reign;

Wrong thread :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Anytime I get anyway confident of a Liverpool win they mess it up so I'm going for a draw here but I wouldn't be happy with it. We're better than Utd at the moment and should be beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

3-0 pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I know Liverpool v Manchester United is usually a massive game but there is something on Sky Sports tonight called Red Monday which sounds much more intriguing so I think I'll have to give this match a miss and watch Red Monday instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

sword1 wrote: »

Classic poor club that spent 200 million on first 11, club that spent close to 1 billion in Premier league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

MD1990 wrote: »
    I expect to see hoofball from Man Utd & to target us with high balls. Fellaini will start & his elbows.

you know, i am actually worried that this will be the case... Mourinho specifically bought a few tall players to compliment Fellani.

I've watched utd a few times this season and they seemed set up to soak up pressure and try and score from a set piece... hope it doesn't happen tonight as we are not the best defensively from corners etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No Jose team is going to be beaten out the gate in a game like this, he'll keep it tight at the back and be accused of "parking the bus".

United have a decent enough defence, but Sturridge has been playing well lately and is a handful.

The Zlatan hasn't been pulling up trees, but he can score from nothing.

Intriguing game, and I suspect Pool will come out on top by an odd goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Roll on 8pm! 3-1 LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lots of positive vibes around Liverpool with the opposite about Utd.

I fancy Liverpool to win it but all the talk of Jose parking the bus, playing negative etc makes me think he'll do something else. He's not stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

mada999 wrote: »
    you know, i am actually worried that this will be the case... Mourinho specifically bought a few tall players to compliment Fellani.

I've watched utd a few times this season and they seemed set up to soak up pressure and try and score from a set piece... hope it doesn't happen tonight as we are not the best defensively from corners etc..

You must have missed the last few games.

All jose has to do is look at how teams setup against klopps one dimensional tactic of the press when he was nearly relegated with a father better team than his current pool.

Invite them on very deep back to your keeper and go long. Klopp was exposed badly after he was figured out. It will be the same soon in the epl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You must have missed the last few games.

All jose has to do is look at how teams setup against klopps one dimensional tactic of the press when he was nearly relegated with a father better team than his current pool.

Invite them on very deep back to your keeper and go long. Klopp was exposed badly after he was figured out. It will be the same soon in the epl

lol

relegated, they finished 7th in the Europa League places. It was a bad season, decimated by injuries, I think a greater mark of the man is he turned it around.

Short memory you have, Mourinho almost got the premier league champions "relegated" last season :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

United have a decent enough defence, but Sturridge has been playing well lately and is a handful.

Sturridge has played 288 of a possible 720 minutes in the PL this season.

He can't get in the team and has a total of 0 goals and 2 assists

If I was a Man U fan, Sturridge wouldn't be the one I would be worried about

rob316 wrote: »
    lol

relegated, they finished 7th in the Europa League places. It was a bad season, decimated by injuries, I think a greater mark of the man is he turned it around.

Short memory you have, Mourinho almost got the premier league champions "relegated" last season :rolleyes:

I think you'll find jose was dismissed 2 months and 9 games into the season.

Klopp was in the relegation places around Xmas. He was found out and changed his pressing tactic mid way through the season to combat the likely hood of relegation. 7th in the German league is probably championship standard football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Jose will be set up smartly to contain Liverpool early. If he manages that I can see them frustrating Liverpool and nicking a 0-1. On the other hand Liverpool will come roaring out of the blocks and if they do manage to break United down and score early I can see them winning by a couple. The first 20-25 minutes will be vital. Glad I'm a neutral for these games, really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Klopp was in the relegation places around Xmas. He was found out and changed his pressing tactic mid way through the season to combat the likely hood of relegation. 7th in the German league is probably championship standard football.
    Where do you get this stuff from? He had a lot of players miss a lot of games that season.

Firstly you said they nearly got relegated and clearly that was false. Smart move is to shut up when you get caught out but you are just digging a bigger hole for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's amazing how supporting a club can make supporters twist facts to try and justify their own beliefs.

There was a lot of factors in that bad season with Dortmund and the Bundesliga is way better than what you're making out.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's amazing how supporting a club can make supporters twist facts to try and justify their own beliefs.

There was a lot of factors in that bad season with Dortmund and the Bundesliga is way better than what you're making out.

He was bottom of the league in FEBRUARY. That's pretty damm close to relegation in my eyes.

If United were bottom of the table with 2 months to go I'm pretty sure every media outlet along with opposition fans would be claiming they were nearly relegated. Honestly the mind boggles.

Yes he had players missing even with those injuries his squad was vastly superior to that of many teams ahead of him.

And it's not much better. With the exception of 2 to 4 teams in Munich, Dortmund, Wolfsburg it's a bad league, imo.

And even those teams are pretty horrid. Cologne and RB Leipzig currently make up 2 of the top 3 in the German league.

It's a poor league by most other standards.

It's the typical Liverpool nonsense. 8 games in and you've already won the league in your heads. But look when you've been looking for the title for so long it's easy to get carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

4 months and 16 games in actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Love the bitterness, it makes me smile when I think of the pittyness that Hodgson used to get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus not even midday and this thread has gone to the ****s

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement