Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Here comes the noble preachers of beautiful game. Defensive game, attack chants and all that nonsense and it's not surprising who the posters are.

Shame we didn't get 3 points, would have been 5 in a row against Liverpool. Neither team deserved to win the game though. Awful game but if the game was between hipster teams then the hipsters would have called that tactically cancelling out each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

niallo27 wrote: »
    I thought rashford was poor myself. Gave away the ball a lot in the first half.

Yeah, Rashford had a poor game I thought. Valencia was United's best player for me. Herrera had a good first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

De gea the difference, nothing new there so. Would have gladly taken the draw after the first half performance so I'm happy, get lallana and wijnaldum back in and we are good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's not sky's fault utd had no interest in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ref was terrible too. Blowing up for every little thing, especially in Liverpool's favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

In the last 3 mins, seeing Young taking his time leaving the pitch and Can going mental at Henderson summed the contrasting attitudes of both teams for me.

In no way a bad result for either team anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mate I support Barcelona,Man City,Chelsea and Bayern Munich. That was dire. Some clubs would never allow that brand of football at their club, let alone lavish the coach with a world record squad to produce it. Shocking.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Someone said the Bundesliga was just Championship level football on this thread this morning or afternoon well these two teams served up worse football than you would see in the Conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was obvious the kind of game United would desire tonight and yet they still created more chances and had more shots than Liverpool in the first half. Pretty damning indictment of Liverpool's shortcomings tonight.

They improved in the second half but I expected much more from them. At home against your most hated rivals and that's all they could produce?

Mourinho outsmarted Klopp tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

edgecutter wrote: »
    We kept you goalless at Anfield and have shown how to shut down your team. We also could have easily won it had Ibra got that header on target. It's not like Liverpool haven't spent money.

He supports Pep not Liverpool.

In response to your post, Burnley also shut us down but managed to beat us. You also forget Liverpool had the two best chances on target with two great saves from De Gea.

Overall it was a terrible games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's not sky's fault utd had no interest in football.

Utd had every right to do what they did. They came to keep us scoreless and nick it. And they almost did.

It lent to a horrible spectacle, but if Liverpool hadn't taken 60 minutes to get going, they'd have probably scored and opened it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Sand wrote: »
    United will be the happier side with that point - Liverpool looked very ordinary.
    Less ordinary than United. Neither side will win the league. Man City clear favourites, Arsenal and Spurs and perhaps Chelsea their main challengers. That was a fairly dire game given the attention it was getting.

Are Man U fans happy that Mourinho is going to turn them into a negative attritional side despite the millions they are spending on players?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Here comes the noble preachers of beautiful game. Defensive game, attack chants and all that nonsense and it's not surprising who the posters are.

Shame we didn't get 3 points, would have been 5 in a row against Liverpool. Neither team deserved to win the game though. Awful game but if the game was between hipster teams then the hipsters would have called that tactically cancelling out each other.

Some is probably over the top but slowing down throw ins from the first few minutes to what valencia did in injury time really must be frustrating for utd fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Giggsy11 wrote: »

If you think that, even with different teams in their place, that that game was tactically intriguing it absolutely wasn't. Coutinho playing deep handicapped Liverpool, only when he went out wide and Lallana managed to find some passes to split lines down the left side did Liverpool actually gain some kind of attacking rhythm. Dreadful game in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Someone said the Bundesliga was just Championship level football on this thread this morning or afternoon well these two teams served up worse football than you would see in the Conference.

Actually, no, just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It was obvious the kind of game United would desire tonight and yet they still created more chances and had more shots than Liverpool in the first half. Pretty damning indictment of Liverpool's shortcomings tonight.

They improved in the second half but I expected much more from them. At home against your most hated rivals and that's all they could produce?

Too bad a game is two halves and Liverpool had more chances overall.

• Taste of bitter is always refreshing

Ibra missed the best chance of the game

Ref was very biased. Liverpool got alot of the decisions. Some crazy indecision with the yellows handed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Draw fair result. United dominated opening 35, but had no cutting edge. Liverpool came into it more second half but didn't look overly threatening, no surprise that United shut the game down anduring settled for a draw.

It was obvious the kind of game United would desire tonight and yet they still created more chances and had more shots than Liverpool in the first half

Did they? I don't remember either team making either keeper do anything. What constitutes a chance or a shot worth talking about?

SlickRic wrote: »
    Utd had every right to do what they did. They came to keep us scoreless and nick it. And they almost did.

It lent to a horrible spectacle, but if Liverpool hadn't taken 60 minutes to get going, they'd have probably scored and opened it up.

I don't think they almost nicked though. Slightly dangerous in the first 20 but no interest in scoring after that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I would say outsmarted if United actually won. They didn't. All United did was not lose. Thats not outsmarting...

Unless you think that Liverpool are better than United and a draw against a better side is a positive result, that would be outsmarting the manager. But I doubt thats the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"This is the way we have to play big matches." Herrera having a dig at Mourinho there? "We are Man united and we want to win matches."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is the way we will have to play big matches

Very proud of the 0- 0

Did they? I don't remember either team making either keeper do anything. What constitutes a chance or a shot worth talking about?

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/788104936726953984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Ash

ugh.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Taste of bitter is always refreshing

Ibra missed the best chance of the game

Ref was very biased. Liverpool got alot of the decisions. Some crazy indecision with the yellows handed out.

Very tough chance for me that one. Not much pace on the cross and real tight angle. It would have been an incredible finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Pogba has yet to explode...seeing him being out jumped by Coutinho and other times not even bothering his arse to contest is worrying. They really need to build the team around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

https://gyazo.com/10a1a9ca6a6110d5f94df8fe02c0489d

Those shots off goal tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Awful horrible scrappy game. Liverpool had 3 of the 4 best chances. De Gea should be getting Rooney's money on top of his own.

• Advertisement

BMMachine wrote: »
    I would say outsmarted if United actually won. They didn't. All United did was not lose. Thats not outsmarting...

Unless you think that Liverpool are better than United and a draw against a better side is a positive result, that would be outsmarting the manager. But I doubt thats the case

United played the same when Fergie's teams went to Anfield. Make sure you don't lose. Remember the game United nicked at the death via John O'Shea?

United will definitely be the happier of the two sides tonight.

Liverpool's first clean sheet of the year says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Classic mourinho performance away to a title rival. It's just that in this case it's clear that finishing in the top 4 is United's title. At least everyone knows where United stand after that, they won't be challenging for the league.

Some is probably over the top but slowing down throw ins from the first few minutes to what valencia did in injury time really must be frustrating for utd fans.

You mean frustrating for Liverpool fans. The fans were on the ref's back from minute one, your players were playing up fouls and the fans were egging it on, which was a smart move. Liverpool are the team with momentum and in good form. This was never going to be the game that we suddenly started playing football. And you know what, we might not ever really open up in these types of games, and I'm okay with that. A point more on the board and build from there.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

United played the same when Fergie's teams went to Anfield. Make sure you don't lose. Remember the game United nicked at the death via John O'Shea?

because they managed a draw while being the poorer side for 70 minutes? Agreed.

He outsmarted him with a 0-0 draw? Mourinho will deliver nothing for Man United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Coutinho flopping around like a trout in a bucket and the ref buying it almost every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I wouldn't be happy if we were held scoreless at OT.

Great job by Mourinho.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    Very tough chance for me that one. Not much pace on the cross and real tight angle. It would have been an incredible finish.

I don't agree

2 of those shots at least were wild shots over the bar from miles out from Pogba and Ibra. But if you honestly think Utd created more chances in the 1st half, that's fine. They dominated the ball, and won every 2nd ball, but didn't do much with it.

Both teams did the sweet sum of fúck all in the final 3rd in that 1st half IMO.

That was when Man U were table toppers defending their league position, they are now reduced to scrapping for a 4th place spot but spending a fortune while doing so.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He outsmarted him with a 0-0 draw? Mourinho will deliver nothing for Man United.

Lots of absolutes here tonight. Mourinho has delivered more trophies than most clubs can boast in their entire history with those exact tactics in big games.

I'm delighted we showed we can do that tbh. Not since the Fergie days have we been able to shut down a game like that and limit a team to some half chances. Obviously I'd prefer a 3-0 win, but I dint think we had what just saw in our locker. Players worked hard for each other.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't agree

Fair enough he did need to loop back into the far post anywhere else and it's an easy save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Less ordinary than United. Neither side will win the league. Man City clear favourites, Arsenal and Spurs and perhaps Chelsea their main challengers. That was a fairly dire game given the attention it was getting.

Are Man U fans happy that Mourinho is going to turn them into a negative attritional side despite the millions they are spending on players?

Liverpool were very ordinary - their best chance was a potshot from 30 yards where De Gea show off by saving with the more difficult hand. United take a point on the road, might have sneaked all three. Happy with that. Mourinho is the manager - he doesn't disappoint me because I know what to expect.

I wouldn't make any predictions whose going to win the league. As Leicester showed last season you dont need to be very good. Even Liverpool have a chance. Man City have dropped 5 points in 2 PL games. Arsenal will be Arsenal. Spurs will find a way to finish below Arsenal. And Chelsea...well, there was recent rumours of Conte getting sacked so impressive has their start been.

BMMachine wrote:
    because they managed a draw while being the poorer side for 70 minutes? Agreed.

He outsmarted them by nullifying the high octane threat we've seen from Liverpool countless times this season.

Offer Mourinho a point before tonight and he'd say 'for sure'; offer it to Klopp and he'd say 'nah we can take all 3.'

Mourinho got what he wanted.

That was when Man U were table toppers defending their league position, they are now reduced to scrapping for a 4th place spot but spending a fortune while doing so.

They are 5 points off the top. Bit early for the Mystic Meg routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Sand wrote: »
    Liverpool were very ordinary - their best chance was a potshot from 30 yards where De Gea show off by saving with the more difficult hand. United take a point on the road, might have sneaked all three. Happy with that. Mourinho is the manager - he doesn't disappoint me because I know what to expect.

I wouldn't make any predictions whose going to win the league. As Leicester showed last season you dont need to be very good. Even Liverpool have a chance. Man City have dropped 5 points in 2 PL games. Arsenal will be Arsenal. Spurs will find a way to finish below Arsenal. And Chelsea...well, there was recent rumours of Conte getting sacked so impressive has their start been.

not at all, those types of saves are easier with the opposite hand.

Lots of absolutes here tonight. Mourinho has delivered more trophies than most clubs can boast in their entire history with those exact tactics in big games.

I'm delighted we showed we can do that tbh. Not since the Fergie days have we been able to shut down a game like that and limit a team to some half chances. Obviously I'd prefer a 3-0 win, but I dint think we had what just saw in our locker. Players worked hard for each other.

They looked solid there is no denying that but liverpool are no world beaters. No clean sheet this year and have given up countless chances in every game but utd showed no ambition tonight. There was a goal there for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Herrera and Coutinho played very well tonight. Fellaini played well to and showed good discipline.

Pogba needs to improve, I would have taken him off after 70 minutes and given Mata an opportunity.

Overall I think it was a fair result on the night as neither team created any gilt edged opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Reminds me of Jose's comments when West Ham parked the bus against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.... 19th century football is alive and well by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

If klopp learned how to set up a team to stifle the opposition, he might have won one of the last 5 finals his teams got to. It might not be pretty but it gets results

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement