Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SlickRic wrote: »
    2 of those shots at least were wild shots over the bar from miles out from Pogba and Ibra. But if you honestly think Utd created more chances in the 1st half, that's fine. They dominated the ball, and won every 2nd ball, but didn't do much with it.

Both teams did the sweet sum of fúck all in the final 3rd in that 1st half IMO.

One of the chances involved Rashford forcing Karius to push the ball away when he played it across. I can't honestly recall the other ones.

What shocks me though is that United went to Anfield and weren't forced to weather a storm. That has tended to be the case ever since I've watched United play there over the years. Tonight? United looked comfortable in that first half. I am very surprised at that.

In the second half Liverpool went up a gear and forced De Gea to make good stops but it was still not the sort of intense pressure I expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

iMuse wrote: »
    Reminds me of Jose's comments when West Ham parked the bus against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.... 19th century football is alive and well by all accounts.
    United didn't park the bus tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Lots of absolutes here tonight. Mourinho has delivered more trophies than most clubs can boast in their entire history with those exact tactics in big games.

I'm delighted we showed we can do that tbh. Not since the Fergie days have we been able to shut down a game like that and limit a team to some half chances. Obviously I'd prefer a 3-0 win, but I dint think we had what just saw in our locker. Players worked hard for each other.
    I think a Ferguson team would've won the game. Man U under Mourinho were delighted with the 0-0 draw and Man U fans on here seem the same. Changed times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

eagle eye wrote: »
    United didn't park the bus tonight.

You're right, it was 2 buses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He outsmarted them by nullifying the high octane threat we've seen from Liverpool countless times this season

We didn't even show any High Octane Threat until Lalana came on.

We were to slow and pedestrian in the first half and way to sloppy in possession. That was down to Liverpool rushing everything and United been well organised and closing off the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Clean sheet.

Yipeee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think a Ferguson team would've won the game. Man U under Mourinho were delighted with the 0-0 draw and Man U fans on here seem the same. Changed times.

You're more worked up about the result than anyone else. I'll take a point at Anfield before the game. Not happy, but satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Tonight was a case study in why Sturridge will never fit in totally with Kloppball.

The difference when he went off was striking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

But Mourinho regularly won those exact types of games against Ferguson. His record for those types of games is exemplary. So far this year, we have played City, Leicester and Liverpool in what you could consider big matches. Barring the opening 40 against City, Mourinho has been tactically excellent. Bodes well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't dislike Klopp. He's one of the good guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is any utd fan actually disappointed in the way utd approached the game yet still happy with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But Mourinho regularly won those exact types of games against Ferguson. His record for those types of games is exemplary. So far this year, we have played City, Leicester and Liverpool in what you could consider big matches. Barring the opening 40 against City, Mourinho has been tactically excellent. Bodes well imo.

How many points have you gotten from those games?

Sand wrote: »
    You're more worked up about the result than anyone else. I'll take a point at Anfield before the game. Not happy, but satisfied.
    I think Man United with the money they spend should be looking for better. There's posters on the Ireland threads whingeing about MON and "hoofball" despite good results, some of them are Man United fans I think but the same posters seem to accept similar "hoofball" tactics from Mourinho while spending a fortune on players. Go figure as they say.

• TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think Man United with the money they spend should be looking for better. There's posters on the Ireland threads whingeing about MON and "hoofball" despite good results, some of them are Man United fans I think but the same posters seem to accept similar "hoofball" tactics from Mourinho while spending a fortune on players. Go figure as they say.
    You are not looking at this in any objective way. Your stereotypes are blinding you. Jose approached this game with care as he rightly should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

SlickRic wrote: »
    Tonight was a case study in why Sturridge will never fit in totally with Kloppball.

The difference when he went off was striking.

Sturridge was playing tonight?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How many points have you gotten from those games?

4. Same as you guys will get from those exact fixtures, most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Are you watching United at all or just coming up with your own narrative? United are not a hoofball team, such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

quarryman wrote: »
    Sturridge was playing tonight?

A bit anonymous, like Rashford and Pogba.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Are you watching United at all or just coming up with your own narrative? United are not a hoofball team, such nonsense.

They played long ball in the 1st half, they didn't play out from the back deliberately. They aimed long punts at Fellaini, Pogba and Ibrahimovic. They also slowed the game down deliberately, being very slow to move to take their set plays etc. "Hoofball" is a term I don't like myself it's used by a few on here who attack Ireland for it, but Mourinho does similar with much more expensive players and it doesn't get labeled "hoofball".

• Advertisement

• K-9 wrote: »
    A bit anonymous, like Rashford and Pogba.

Pogba setup Utds best chance

They played long ball in the 1st half, they didn't play out from the back deliberately. They aimed long punts at Fellaini, Pogba and Ibrahimovic. They also slowed the game down deliberately, being very slow to move to take their set plays etc. "Hoofball" is a term I don't like myself it's used by a few on here who attack Ireland for it, but Mourinho does similar with much more expensive players and it doesn't get labeled "hoofball".

Literally not what happened at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That was awful, probably the worst live game I watched this season.

Yet another over hyped game failing to deliver.

Some guys earned their 250k easy this week.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Pogba setup Utds best chance

They were both involved plenty. Not great but not anonymous by any means.
    It's tit for tat innit???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

"Hoofball" to me is playing long balls into no man's land into opposition box or corner, which O Neill did against Georgia in first half

United did not do that and it's total BS if you think otherwise.

As I said. Coming up with your own narrative.

If it ain't tiki-taka it's hoofball.

Literally not what happened at all.
    Really. It's exactly what Carragher and Giggs said what happened in the 1st half at half time. They said that and were correct to say that because that's literally and exactly what happened.

NIMAN wrote: »
    That was awful, probably the worst live game I watched this season.

Yet another over hyped game failing to deliver.

Some guys earned their 250k easy this week.

That wasn't an easy game for anyone. Half of them, even young lads like Rashford and fit men like Milner were cramping up towards the end. I think people expect football to be scripted with highs and lows like WWE.

Aye, that's what The Kew Tour and the likes say on here the whole time, except when it comes to Mourinho's Man United team of course.

• Advertisement

Aye, that's what The Kew Tour and the likes say on here the whole time, except when it comes to Mourinho's Man United team of course.

OK prove it. Show us where United played balls into the corner and did not press high up pitch.

"Hoofball" to me is playing long balls into no man's land into opposition box or corner, which O Neill did against Georgia in first half

If you've got more expensive and better quality players, you may be able to "hoof" it more accurately perhaps. Still seems a strange way to play football when you spend millions to assemble a side.

If you've got more expensive and better quality players, you may be able to "hoof" it more accurately perhaps. Still seems a strange way to play football when you spend millions to assemble a side.

Except you're only one saying it

Really. It's exactly what Carragher and Giggs said what happened in the 1st half at half time. They said that and were correct to say that because that's literally and exactly what happened.

Well if Jamie and Giggsy said it....

I watched the match. United overloaded the box for set pieces and took them seriously because we have bigger men. It would be ridiculous to turn our noses up to that kind of advantage. Other than that, I saw a lot of decent passing on the ground in the first 45 with a nice pressing game that caused Liverpool to be very sloppy in possession.

Happy for somebody to provide stas that tell a different story, but from actually watching the game, I didn't see hoof ball first half at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

In fairness to the OP, I don't think she is bull ****ting. ..just a lack of knowledge.

OK prove it. Show us where United played balls into the corner and did not press high up pitch.
    They booted the ball long to Fellaini, Ibra and Pogba when the option was there to roll it out from the back. Carragher and Giggs referred to it at half time.

They booted the ball long to Fellaini, Ibra and Pogba when the option was there to roll it out from the back. Carragher and Giggs referred to it at half time.

But where did they hoofball it to? That's what I'm asking.

• But where did they hoofball it to? That's what I'm asking.

He can't be serious. Either that or completly delusional.

De Gea regularly booted the ball long when the option was there to play out from the back. United were focused on picking up the "second ball" happy to lose possession and gamble for that "second ball" in a safe area of the pitch for them. Did you watch the game?

• Advertisement

Well if Jamie and Giggsy said it....

I watched the match. United overloaded the box for set pieces and took them seriously because we have bigger men. It would be ridiculous to turn our noses up to that kind of advantage. Other than that, I saw a lot of decent passing on the ground in the first 45 with a nice pressing game that caused Liverpool to be very sloppy in possession.

Happy for somebody to provide stas that tell a different story, but from actually watching the game, I didn't see hoof ball first half at all.
    Right, I suppose you know more than they do.

De Gea regularly booted the ball long when the option was there to play out from the back. United were focused on picking up the "second ball" happy to lose possession and gamble for that "second ball".

Even in the small times they did they pressed well high up the pitch to win that 2nd ball.

Unlike Ireland who don't press well at all, sadly. So what you see is not same and total exaggeration.

Well I suppose we should shut the forum down then if all we have to do is listen to the words of two ex pros and take them as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

TheCitizen is right, pundits know best and shouldn't be questioned.

Weso for ballon d'or.

jive wrote: »
    TheCitizen is right, pundits know best and shouldn't be questioned.

Weso for ballon d'or.
    Depends on the pundit

Depends on the pundit

Depend on whether the criticism suits your agenda more like.

• Advertisement

Even in the small times they did they pressed well high up the pitch to win that 2nd ball.

Unlike Ireland who don't press well at all, sadly. So what you see is not same and total exaggeration.
    I think Ireland press well at times. Sometimes they don't press so well. You only see what you want to see.

Depend on whether the criticism suits your agenda more like.
    And what of your agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

****e from both teams, some good stuff from Pool when Lallana came on, made the last twenty minutes bearable. Nothing for the spectator unfortunately. Good games from Fellini, Bailly, Herrera, Matip, Hendo, Milner and Lallana. Forgettable enough overall

From an Arsenal fan

I think Ireland press well at times. Sometimes they don't press so well. You only see what you want to see.

I was at the Georgia game. I was hoping to see Ireland do well for 90 min. I didn't take a half day spending 40 quid on a ticket and getting home at 1am in morning to be up at 6am to go up to "see what I want to see"

I was at the Georgia game. I was hoping to see Ireland do well for 90 min. I didn't take a half day spending 40 quid on a ticket and getting home at 1am in morning to be up at 6am to go up to "see what I want to see"

They pressed better in the 2nd half and then when away against Moldova. You appear unable to acknowledge that, I guess it doesn't suit your agenda.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement