Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Forgettable snooze fest.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I was at the Georgia game. I was hoping to see Ireland do well for 90 min. I didn't take a half day spending 40 quid on a ticket and getting home at 1am in morning to be up at 6am to go up to "see what I want to see"

They pressed better in the 2nd half and then when away against Moldova. You appear unable to acknowledge that, I guess it doesn't suit your agenda.

I never mentioned 2nd half and I did acknowledge Moldova performance if you even want to go back.

You seem to think hoofball is any pass over 1 yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Wonder how many more 100m signings will it take to get Mourinho's team playing some kind of attacking football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

TheCitizen wrote: »
    And what of your agenda?

I'm talking in general. People use certain pundits to make a point, obviously only because it's the same one they are making. They will have a different opinion to you on something else another time and you will dismiss them.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Wonder how many more 100m signings will it take to get Mourinho's team playing some kind of attacking football?

56?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

35% - Man Utd recorded just 35% possession against Liverpool; their lowest figure in a PL game in Opta's records (2003-present). Passive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

35% - Man Utd recorded just 35% possession against Liverpool; their lowest figure in a PL game in Opta's records (2003-present). Passive.

8c94ac71310b649684d456781cd8c9b1.png

Celtic had 11% possession at home to Barca few years ago, and won 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

That was the kind of thing that made Mourinho's post-match dig at Liverpool all the more odd. He's complaining to Sky Sports about how they're being too hyped up by the media and then proves just how much he rates Liverpool with the most negative United performance at Anfield in decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

8c94ac71310b649684d456781cd8c9b1.png

Tbf to Mourinho, there are multiple ways of doing possession stats. I *think* Sky do it on completed passes, which doesn't take into account dribbles etc. But United clearly didn't have as much possession so not sure why he is arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

A ball bag of ****... no nappies...and no Lee Keegan at 40/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Irish_rat wrote: »

He doesn't know how, will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

If it ain't tiki-taka it's hoofball.

8 players behind the ball, the only outlet time and again were long balls to Ibra and Pogba, who Mourinho hoped would conjour something out of nothing at some stage. Out of possession it was a back 6 playing in a low block with 3 in front of them. There is styles of football that aren't tiki taka or hoofball, however tonight was most certainly a case of hoofing it forward to 2 tall, talented players, hope that their individual quality is enough to create a chance and spend the rest of the timing defending deep and frustrating through tactical fouling and slow set pieces.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

He outsmarted them by nullifying the high octane threat we've seen from Liverpool countless times this season.

Offer Mourinho a point before tonight and he'd say 'for sure'; offer it to Klopp and he'd say 'nah we can take all 3.'

Mourinho got what he wanted.

so Mourinho wouldnt want to win a game? shows how low united have gone then in the past 4 years. This certainly isn't the all conquering side we have seen in the past, nor do they have the attitude to go a long with it.

but hey, he 'outsmarted' Klopp. Every little victory. Now thats an attitude that hasn't changed :) in the Irish fans at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Celtic had 11% possession at home to Barca few years ago, and won 2-0
    Barca topped the group and were runners up in the competition iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

BMMachine wrote: »
    so Mourinho wouldnt want to win a game? shows how low united have gone then in the past 4 years. This certainly isn't the all conquering side we have seen in the past, nor do they have the attitude to go a long with it.

but hey, he 'outsmarted' Klopp. Every little victory. Now thats an attitude that hasn't changed :) in the Irish fans at least

United are not the all conquering side they once were. Anybody claiming otherwise is ridiculous. We are rebuilding completely, hence the manager changing and huge outlays on players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Are Man Utd fans not frustated with Mourinho's negative tactics after what happened under Van Gaal?
    Mourinho recently seems incredibly bitter too & too easily affected by is said in the media judging by his comments after the game tonight.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Are Man Utd fans not frustated with Mourinho's negative tactics after what happened under Van Gaal?
    Mourinho recently seems incredibly bitter too & too easily affected by is said in the media judging by his comments after the game tonight.

He outsmarted the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

BMMachine wrote: »

Nah, it shows how much Liverpool have to learn.

United's approach was the exact same approach they have always taken when going to Anfield under Ferguson: don't lose the match. And United didn't. Job done.

Even when United were the 'all conquering side' the attitude was the same, i.e. when United won at Anfield via O'Shea's goal; that was a smash-and-grab job. And a beautiful one it was too.

If Liverpool knew the value of when to happily take a point they wouldn't be 26 years without a title, going on 27; sure Mourinho himself taught that lesson at Anfield when Rodgers decided to go all out, gung ho attack in a match Liverpool didn't need to win - just not lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Liverpool were guilty of over elaborate build up play, squandering numerous clear shooting opportunities in favour of an unnecessary extra pass or flick.

Nah, it shows how much Liverpool have to learn.

United's approach was the exact same approach they have always taken when going to Anfield under Ferguson: don't lose the match. And United didn't. Job done.

Even when United were the 'all conquering side' the attitude was the same, i.e. when United won at Anfield via O'Shea's goal; that was a smash-and-grab job. And a beautiful one it was too.

If Liverpool knew the value of when to happily take a point they wouldn't be 26 years without a title, going on 27; sure Mourinho himself taught that lesson at Anfield when Rodgers decided to go all out, gung ho attack in a match Liverpool didn't need to win - just not lose.

Phew, lots there.
    *the O Shea goal
    *27 years
    *the Chelsea match

Heck add in the Gerrard slip and that's 4 of a kind

You win mate. All I'm holding is a 0-0 draw that either team could have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's a compliment to liverpool these days that Utd getting a draw is being played up as a masterplan that other coaches should follow. The lengths utd fans are going to defend the performance says a lot for me.

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's a compliment to liverpool these days that Utd getting a draw is being played up as a masterplan that other coaches should follow. The lengths utd fans are going to defend the performance says a lot for me.

Don't you get it? They won the draw. Because of outsmarting a man.

The compliment to Liverpool is that United have always gone to Anfield with the mindset 'whatever you do, don't lose.' Neville and Giggs both noted that tonight.

Liverpool fans ought to be very worried if the day comes that United go to Anfield expecting the win, and end up playing Liverpool off the park in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The compliment to Liverpool is that United have always gone to Anfield with the mindset 'whatever you do, don't lose.' Neville and Giggs both noted that tonight.

Liverpool fans ought to be very worried if the day comes that United go to Anfield expecting the win, and end up playing Liverpool off the park in the process.

Maybe I just don't remember but I don't recall ferguson being that negative. 7 players across the back. Zatalan was so isolated at times surrounded by 4 or 5 players. Would ferguson been as negative against a side who had one clean sheet in the league in the last 16 games.

• Advertisement

Maybe I just don't remember but I don't recall ferguson being that negative. 7 players across the back. Zatalan was so isolated at times surrounded by 4 or 5 players. Would ferguson been as negative against a side who had one clean sheet in the league in the last 16 games.

In short no, but for tonight yes, absolutely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Awful game. United were lucky that the penalty wasn't given, very lucky, and needed a worldie from the keeper to keep out a great Coutinho strike. Liverpool lucky that Zlatan decided to square a header from 4yds out for some unknown reason rather than bury it.

On to the next game. The sooner the better so we can forget this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He outsmarted them by nullifying the high octane threat we've seen from Liverpool countless times this season.

Offer Mourinho a point before tonight and he'd say 'for sure'; offer it to Klopp and he'd say 'nah we can take all 3.'

Mourinho got what he wanted.

I don't agree with this at all. Klopp is prepared to play the game and will draw some, but will go to win at Chelsea and Arsenal (and City last season) and get seven points from the three games.

Mourinho's same approach will get him three solid points. It's ultimately self defeating, but safe in the short term.

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all. Klopp is prepared to play the game and will draw some, but will go to win at Chelsea and Arsenal (and City last season) and get seven points from the three games.

Mourinho's same approach will get him three solid points. It's ultimately self defeating, but safe in the short term.

Well in fairness to Mourinho his approach can get more points if the attacking players take the chances that come their way. I expected more from Ibrahimovic in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

And the lenghts rival fans are trying to go to in order to criticise United says a helluva lot more to me.

Whether it was pretty or not is moot.

Liverpool play a particular blend of high tempo, attacking football.

They simply were not allowed to do that last night, so yes, in my humble opinion Jose got the tactics spot on.

As he did against Leicester.

As he did against Stoke. He cannot be blamed for the players not being able to finish the huge number of chances they had in that game.

He adapts how the team plays depending on the opposition.

Klopp doesn't appear to have a plan b when the press doesn't/isn't allowed work.

A point away at Anfield against a team that has played some brilliant attacking stuff so far this season is quite acceptable tbh.

United are very much a work in progress and I've no doubt in my mind that if the clubs were reversed you boys would take the same.

But its OK, you don't have to nor would I expect you to give them any credit, its par for the course at this stage.

• Advertisement

Of course United have fallen

It will take time to get it right

Would I like to see us play more expansive attacking football? Of course I would. But this United side has become weak mentally, but last night we showed more of structured and professional performance and did not collapse.

Small steps in right direction. The league is a marathon not a sprint.

And Liverpool if they want to get to where ye want to be better get used to other teams soaking up pressure.

It happened to United for 20 years only we did not bitch and moan about it and went on to win 13 Pl.

Liverpool are very good at what they do, especially at Anfield. Go there to play exspansive football and 9 times out of 10 you will come away disappointed.
    I'll be sure to reference this thread when City and Arsenal come away from there wishing they had been more compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

TBH Klopp played that reasonably well.

Lallana only had 20mins of pressing in him, so contain for 60mins, don't conceed, let United play defensively and try not to wear Coutinho and Firmino out. Bring in Lallana and try to use that 20min as effectively as possible to get a goal.

Between 60 and 80mins Liverpool dominated and drove at United. De Gea had to make 2 fantastic saves and Valencia made a brilliant tackle on Firmino.

The chances were created but we came up against a top class keeper. Klopps tactics worked well, on another day those chances would have been scored.

What Klopp couldn't account for is the awful passing in the first half that left no chance created. That's what he'll be disappointed in.

Mourinho was happy with the draw and so played his cards perfectly as well. United never looked like creating a scoring chance apart from a super cross out of nothing from Pogba. Both coaches will be satisfied with the result, even if the Liverpool fans are disappointed we didn't smash them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Literally not what happened at all.

it is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

It happened to United for 20 years only we did not bitch and moan about it and went on to win 13 Pl.

hahaha Fergie was bitching and moaning every fecking week... come on ... had the poor refs and media in this pocket imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

mada999 wrote: »
    had the poor refs and media in this pocket imo

You better show some proof of this corruption you are accusing Ferguson and the referees of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then I hear Man Utd had a moral victory at Anfield last night. About 600m in the last 3 years for a point against a side that hasn't won the league since 1990.

Glad that Jose Mourinho thought he was that good.

So then I hear Man Utd had a moral victory at Anfield last night. About 600m in the last 3 years for a point against a side that hasn't won the league since 1990.

Good man. Seems you've gotten your own little moral victory in that post.

Glad you thought you are that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Jose must be very happy Moyes and LVG have come before him, have given him significantly more rope and seen fans accepting of any type of football to gain success (or a top 4, which again, credit goes ot the previous two managers for lowering the bar)

mada999 wrote: »

hahaha Fergie was bitching and moaning every fecking week... come on ... had the poor refs and media in this pocket imo

Not as good as Liverpool who have had most Penalties in Pl history. We could have had few extra brown envelopes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Bruce Grobelaar

End of corruption conversation. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Korat wrote: »
    Bruce Grobelaar

Yep and even with a corrupt keeper United still managed to throw away a 0-3 lead that night at Anfield

Bruce Grobelaar

Some would say he played for United ;)

Bruce Grobelaar

Yep and even with a corrupt keeper United still managed to throw away a 0-3 lead that night at Anfield

But United won the double and we didn't give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

35% possession, packed defence with big physical men, very little threat going forward, hoping for set pieces. Mourinho has spent £150m, not to mention astronomical wages, to become the new Stoke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

35% possession, packed defence with big physical men, very little threat going forward, hoping for set pieces. Mourinho has spent £150m, not to mention astronomical wages, to become the new Stoke!!

Lies you mean the old Stoke the new Stoke try to play football

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Very true, I should have said Tony Pulis's Stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Well done in insulting United but putting Liverpool down. Good post.

Just wondering if people watched the game at all, it was tactical genius.
    I didn't see much parking of the bus in the 1st 25 minutes, in fact I can't really remember liverpool getting out of their half without the long balls as your defense couldn't cope with the pressing of a 35 year old striker.

After 25 minutes the crowd was on your back and the Job was effectively done.

You were limited to a pop shot by Can in the box with 2 players around him and a 30 yard strike from Couthino.

Ibra had the best chance of the night.

It was a **** game and no-one deserved to win, but I can guarantee you that United will be going home the happier of the two teams.

...and one-dimensional Pool hadn't a fiddlers-fart of a notion what to do about it.

66% possession and fúck all to show for it.

Gegenfailing.

• Advertisement

...AND

The Anfield Library was back in full force again last night.

SSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhh SSShhhhhhhhhhhhh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement