Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

35% possession, packed defence with big physical men, very little threat going forward, hoping for set pieces. Mourinho has spent £150m, not to mention astronomical wages, to become the new Stoke!!

Thats the funny thing about Possession. United had plenty of it last season and finished 5th, Leicester had very little and won the league.

Liverpool didn't get out of their half in the first 25 minutes unless it was a long ball. After 25 minutes the crowd was on your back and the job was done.

I said it here before. You're a team who struggle to break down teams with men behind the ball unless you get an early goal, Burnley also proved this. A point away from home at Anfield with the numbers you've racked up there all season is a very good point.

Yes liverpool had plenty of the ball, but what did they do with it. A pop shot in the box from Can and a 30 yard strike from Couthino. I wouldn't worry too much about possession in the modern game, especially when you negate the context..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Man Utd fans seem delighted with a point. But after losing to Man City it seems to me Mourinho now accepts his team cannot challenge for the title judging by there performance. That type of performance against the top 5-6 is not going to pick up many 3 points.
    For us it is a learning curve. Even despite playing poorly we probably would have won the game if not for De Gea.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Thats the funny thing about Possession. United had plenty of it last season and finished 5th, Leicester had very little and won the league.

Liverpool didn't get out of their half in the first 25 minutes unless it was a long ball. After 25 minutes the crowd was on your back and the job was done.

I said it here before. You're a team who struggle to break down teams with men behind the ball unless you get an early goal, Burnley also proved this. A point away from home at Anfield with the numbers you've racked up there all season is a very good point.

Yes liverpool had plenty of the ball, but what did they do with it. A pop shot in the box from Can and a 30 yard strike from Couthino. I wouldn't worry too much about possession in the modern game, especially when you negate the context..

I wont argue with anything you just said. In fact I probably agree with all of it.

But as a Man Utd fan are you happy with that? Are you happy that your team set up at Anfield for a 0-0 stalemate? Are you happy, with the money Mourinho has spent, that he has tried to imitate a mid table team coming for a draw?

I don't believe you can be. If you are then the mighty Man Utd truly has fallen. Even when we have been absolute dirt over the years I can never remember going to Old Trafford and being happy when we didnt give it a good go to try and win the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mourinho now accepts his team cannot challenge for the title

Yep, but that's not news.

He's never stated that he expects United to be challenging this season, it's clearly a rebuilding process ongoing, there are still gaps and problems left over from having 3 managers in 4 years.

He'll get there though, there is no doubt about that at all.

He's never stated that he expects United to be challenging this season, it's clearly a rebuilding process ongoing, there are still gaps and problems left over from having 3 managers in 4 years.

Most Man Utd fans thought they would challenge for the title before the Man City game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

So then I hear Man Utd had a moral victory at Anfield last night. About 600m in the last 3 years for a point against a side that hasn't won the league since 1990.

Glad that Jose Mourinho thought he was that good.

I'll take a moral victory over a premature one any day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

United set out to stop Liverpool. They did however dominate the first 20 mins. After that when Liverpool got into the game united tried to slow it down hold onto a clean sheet and try to Nick a goal from a break or a set piece.

United where defensive for the last 70 mins and it was typical mourinho. Zlat prob had the best chance but fluffed it. Pogba was rubbish and Liverpool had the most chances.

In a game with so much hype and very little action I am just glad it's over.

Am I happy with the result? We have played the more difficult games and sit in a better position........

Am I happy we have klopp instead of Jose? Without a doubt.

Who cares about last night. Both sets of fans can take solace in the fact we didn't drop points to a top 4 rival.

For Liverpool we only have spurs everton and city to play at this side of the season

United have Chelsea city arsenal everyone and spurs.....

We all know who has already played the bigger games and away for that matter.

I am happy with Liverpool's attacking approach as it is proving good so far. While united might have taken a point at afield they sit outside the top 4 today with their next two games being huge in terms of needing to not drop more points. Another two draws and they could be 7 points behind 4th going into the Christmas season

...AND

The Anfield Library was back in full force again last night.

SSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhh SSShhhhhhhhhhhhh

WELCOME TO HELL!!!!

399424.JPG

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I'll take a moral victory over a premature one any day :pac:

just as long as you're winning I suppose.

Hard work by the fans though has definitely insured that Manchester United won the draw. I mean I saw 0-0 on my screen but that only told half the story, Man Utd didnt want to win, thats why Ibra headed across the box. It was a masterclass and Liverpool and Klopp were outsmarted

BMMachine wrote: »
    just as long as you're winning I suppose.

Hard work by the fans though has definitely insured that Manchester United won the draw. I mean I saw 0-0 on my screen but that only told half the story, Man Utd didnt want to win, thats why Ibra headed across the box. It was a masterclass and Liverpool and Klopp were outsmarted

I didn't read your post but YNFA man, YNFA.

• Advertisement

WELCOME TO HELL!!!!

hahahaha stupid Liverpool fans using their phones to film a man. Im glad you posted this here as I too like laughing at people for the smallest reason possible, such as using a phone. Top stuff.

Most Man Utd fans thought they would challenge for the title before the Man City game.

So what? Most Man Utd fans are not the manager.

What is your point here?

Anyway, can you show me these "most Man Utd" fans please? I don't know any normal-minded Man Utd fans who had any notions of challenging for the league this season.

Maybe a few deludos, but every club has them, some more than others to be fair.

I didn't read your post but YNFA man, YNFA.

still bitter.

still bitter.

yes, you certainly seem to be.

still bitter.

Damn. Too short a post to not read.
    I'm not bitter over anything. Whatever keeps you feeling superior... knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

WELCOME TO HELL!!!!

399424.JPG

Modern day football embarrassment alright. Still doesn't beat the time Gerrard put Liverpool 2nil up in the 4-1 game at Old Trafford a few years back, where he went and kissed the tv camera all while Man Utd fans were taking pics of that moment on their camera phones! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The game changed when it became clear the ref would hand out cards like confetti to Utd but Liverpool could get away with coming through the back of players and surrounding the ref without sanction. Utd noticeably dropped off in the 2nd half, obviously afraid of giving the ref an excuse to send someone off or give a penalty, which allowed Liverpool acres of space.

A decent side would have punished Utd with such an advantage.

A real triumph in adversity for Utd to come away with a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

You don't lose a title by drawing your biggest away game of the season. Unfortunately you lose it by dropping points at home against teams like Stoke. I'm more than happy with United settling for a point last night and easily getting it. Game was awful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Modern day football embarrassment alright. Still doesn't beat the time Gerrard put Liverpool 2nil up in the 4-1 game at Old Trafford a few years back, where he went and kissed the tv camera all while Man Utd fans were taking pics of that moment on their camera phones! :eek:

Spot the difference

Glazers Out!

Damn. Too short a post to not read.
    I'm not bitter over anything. Whatever keeps you feeling superior... knock yourself out.

0Mi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ahh Burnley like Swansea got the early goal V Liverpool so both had something to play for Burnely managed to hold on and get a 2nd where as Swansea were not and Liverpool before last night have had 2 home games I really wish you would fact check.

0Mi.jpg

That's nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The table says everything you need to know

hahahaha stupid Liverpool fans using their phones to film a man. Im glad you posted this here as I too like laughing at people for the smallest reason possible, such as using a phone. Top stuff.

and to quote from YNFA who liked to joke about Hillsborough tells you all you need to know

Korat wrote: »
    The game changed when it became clear the ref would hand out cards like confetti to Utd but Liverpool could get away with coming through the back of players and surrounding the ref without sanction. Utd noticeably dropped off in the 2nd half, obviously afraid of giving the ref an excuse to send someone off or give a penalty, which allowed Liverpool acres of space.

A decent side would have punished Utd with such an advantage.

A real triumph in adversity for Utd to come away with a point.

lol not sure if serious or not

and to quote from YNFA who liked to joke about Hillsborough tells you all you need to know

It tells you nothing!!!
    BMMachine likes to whinge about the humour thread stuff, especially YNFA.
    That's why I mentioned it. I don't keep tabs on everything they say.
    So you can take that bullsh*t back.

What a moronic leap to a conclusion. FFS.

yeah there is no way Fred is here for cheap victories

What a moronic leap to a conclusion. FFS.

Par for the course with that chap.

He likes to use the tragedy to score points on the forum.

yeah there is no way Fred is here for cheap victories

Victories for what? It was a draw. If you read back you'll see I was ultimately disappointed with the result given how poor Liverpool were.
    You just keep sticking to your own little narrative though... and don't let the irony of your "little victories" posts bite you in the arse.

• Advertisement

Victories for what? It was a draw. If you read back you'll see I was ultimately disappointed with the result given how poor Liverpool were.
    You just keep sticking to your own little narrative though... and don't let the irony of your "little victories" posts bite you in the arse.

0M4.jpg

Just back from the game.

United the better team in the 1st half and us the better team 2nd half. Draw certainly the proper result.

Home and away fans didn't do it justice. Probably down to the boring game

I must say when the Portuguese Pulis does leave Man Utd. Tony Pulis is the perfect fit to become his successor. A real natural successor that won't need time to the adjust playing style. So I can see why Man Utd are optimistic about the performance & result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

W

You were limited to a pop shot by Can in the box with 2 players around him and a 30 yard strike from Couthino.

Its a shame that shirt pulling like this isn't given more often, he probably should have gone down in hindsight

Par for the course with that chap.

He likes to use the tragedy to score points on the forum.

Whinging on boards happens.You see it a fair bit in Feedback. Thankfully the soccer forum isn't too bad for it these days.

I wont argue with anything you just said. In fact I probably agree with all of it.

But as a Man Utd fan are you happy with that? Are you happy that your team set up at Anfield for a 0-0 stalemate? Are you happy, with the money Mourinho has spent, that he has tried to imitate a mid table team coming for a draw?

I don't believe you can be. If you are then the mighty Man Utd truly has fallen. Even when we have been absolute dirt over the years I can never remember going to Old Trafford and being happy when we didnt give it a good go to try and win the game.

I'm not happy with it, but I can understand the reasoning behind it. For the 1st 25 minutes I thought we were excellent.

If you're Mourinho, you're in a new job. You've had a minor blip already where you've lost 3. A loss here to your biggest rivals in terms of history would kick the entire thing off again. However, coming away with a draw at Anfield where Liverpool have been decimating teams can be classes as a good result.

If you're Mourinho you can play up the fact that Klopp had no answer to the "BUS". It's not Mourinhos job to go and "WIN" at Anfield, it is Klopps. Mourinho can spin this as a win, which he has already done so.

You also need to understand that Mourinho has 8 games under his belt. Yesterdays signaled klopps 1st year in charge, thats a lot of time to spend moulding your squad.

I was on here, and yes I was probably egging it a bit and stirring the pot yesterday but I'd say if you asked most United fans, would they have taken a draw, then the answer before hand knowing how good Liverpool have been in the previous 5 games post Burnley, yes would have been the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He did state that he expects utd to be challenging he had a pop at a couple of other managers for not being prepared to say they were going for the title.

Honestly, do you even think before you post. Most united fans...where are you basing this off. A select few who frequent boards?

If Mourinho acknowledges we can't challenge for the title, the same can be said for Klopp in his 1st season. Both of which is true. Managers coming into teams who've been lacklustre for a season or 2 before hand are not thinking about challenging for the title.

They're are however thinking about stability and squad progression to get them where they want to be next season.

Liverpool in that sense have a year ahead of United, and with that year they did look a bit better on the ball last night after the first 25 minutes, however their creativity and ability to break down teams is still missing.

I'd like to think that when Mourinho has a year under his belt our squad will be in a much better place than it is now.

As in business you have a short-run and a long-run mentality, I'm not too concerned with the short-run at the moment, I'm happy with how this is progressing. And by the looks of things Liverpool are happy with the Long-run too, you're in a much more improved place than last year. Fair play to them for that and Klopp for seeing the bigger picture.

Rome wasn't built in a day, most fans are fickle and forget this. United didn't build their all conquering team of the 90's and 2000's in a year, they build it through a youth academy that took an age to materialize.

Now it's money and time, but it's the same concept. In the grand scheme of things and how the league will pan out, this is a nothing game. However right now I'm sure it will feel like a victory to Mourinho.

Honestly, do you even think before you post. Most united fans...where are you basing this off. A select few who frequent boards?

If Mourinho acknowledges we can't challenge for the title, the same can be said for Klopp in his 1st season. Both of which is true. Managers coming into teams who've been lacklustre for a season or 2 before hand are not thinking about challenging for the title.

They're are however thinking about stability and squad progression to get them where they want to be next season.

Liverpool in that sense have a year ahead of United, and with that year they did look a bit better on the ball last night after the first 25 minutes, however their creativity and ability to break down teams is still missing.

I'd like to think that when Mourinho has a year under his belt our squad will be in a much better place than it is now.

As in business you have a short-run and a long-run mentality, I'm not too concerned with the short-run at the moment, I'm happy with how this is progressing. And by the looks of things Liverpool are happy with the Long-run too, you're in a much more improved place than last year. Fair play to them for that and Klopp for seeing the bigger picture.

Rome wasn't built in a day, most fans are fickle and forget this. United didn't build their all conquering team of the 90's and 2000's in a year, they build it through a youth academy that took an age to materialize.

Now it's money and time, but it's the same concept. In the grand scheme of things and how the league will pan out, this is a nothing game. However right now I'm sure it will feel like a victory to Mourinho.

It's all about the February position !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Just back from the game.

United the better team in the 1st half and us the better team 2nd half. Draw certainly the proper result.

Home and away fans didn't do it justice. Probably down to the boring game

How did the team change when Lalana came on? On TV he gave us a massive lift but how did it seem in the stadium?

Ahh Burnley like Swansea got the early goal V Liverpool so both had something to play for Burnely managed to hold on and get a 2nd where as Swansea were not and Liverpool before last night have had 2 home games I really wish you would fact check.

Swansea did get the early goal, it was also a very very very late Milner penalty in the 84th minute that rescued the game.

Swansea also had some very good chances late in the game to make it 2-1 themselves.

The point still stands you have struggled to break down teams who get men behind the ball.

• Advertisement

I must say when the Portuguese Pulis does leave Man Utd. Tony Pulis is the perfect fit to become his successor. A real natural successor that won't need time to the adjust playing style. So I can see why Man Utd are optimistic about the performance & result.

Well done on sidestepping the utterly ridiculous comments you've made before hand that you were called out on.

Is this the same Portugal Jose who outscored Barcelona in his tenure in Spain and regularly topped the goals scored chart in England when winning titles, something liverpool long for?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Its a shame that shirt pulling like this isn't given more often, he probably should have gone down in hindsight

Don't disagree with that, there was a pull and it wasn't spotted but as you said he didn't go down and got the shot off.

It's all about the February position !

Ah, was clearly on the wind up then so yea fair enough.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How did the team change when Lalana came on? On TV he gave us a massive lift but how did it seem in the stadium?

Yep, definitely changed. Utd were fairly compact in midfield and an extra body in there made a big difference. In hindsight not starting Sturridge would have been the correct call. Hindsight eh :)

Ah, was clearly on the wind up then so yea fair enough.

At least you admit it. Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

"Most" ????
    Where did you conduct this poll? Outside a pre-school?

Man Utd 1st/2nd in August.
    They are now in 7th. They continue this downward trajectory & they could be relegated.

At least you admit it. Fair play

Well post game after the dust settles and there is no need to wind up you can be a bit more objective. It's a game I love, more-so for the banter than the actual occasion which does flatter to deceive.

However, unlike most I do enjoy the tactical element of the game sometimes a 0-0 can be a good game, however for the neutral and the people paying to see last nights game, this wasn't the case.

Both teams will tick a box and have ultimately saved face and can continue on for the season in the knowledge that this game won't have any long lasting affects on either side.

They are now in 7th. They continue this downward trajectory & they could be relegated.

wat?

As I said I was on the windup yesterday, and have openly admitted it, the difference here is that you seemingly believe the nonsense you're posting. "ALL UNITED FANS" lol listen to yourself for Christ sake, you're not some superhuman being with cognitive ability that can tap into "MOST OF UNITEDS" fanbase. You can keep referring to yesterdays posts or you can choose to comment on the fact that everything you've posted has been retorted against and shown to be nonsense. I'll leave it to you but at the moment you look like a very silly boy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement