Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Find it very interesting how confident Pool fans are, and how unsure United fans are.

For all the talk about who is better than who, Pool are only 3 points ahead of United. A win tonight for United puts them even points with the same record as each other.

Saw someone describe United as having the better players but Liverpool having the better unit (as in their players are gelling, working hard for each other, etc).

Don't have a clue what way it will go. Wont make myself foolish by making a prediction. But very, very excited for the game. Think it will be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

MD1990 wrote: »
    You must have missed the last few games.

All jose has to do is look at how teams setup against klopps one dimensional tactic of the press when he was nearly relegated with a father better team than his current pool.

Invite them on very deep back to your keeper and go long. Klopp was exposed badly after he was figured out. It will be the same soon in the epl
    He was bottom of the league in FEBRUARY. That's pretty damm close to relegation in my eyes.

If United were bottom of the table with 2 months to go I'm pretty sure every media outlet along with opposition fans would be claiming they were nearly relegated. Honestly the mind boggles.

Yes he had players missing even with those injuries his squad was vastly superior to that of many teams ahead of him.

And it's not much better. With the exception of 2 to 4 teams in Munich, Dortmund, Wolfsburg it's a bad league, imo.

And even those teams are pretty horrid. Cologne and RB Leipzig currently make up 2 of the top 3 in the German league.

It's a poor league by most other standards.

It's the typical Liverpool nonsense. 8 games in and you've already won the league in your heads. But look when you've been looking for the title for so long it's easy to get carried away.
    Fair enough. Thanks for correcting that I didn't look back and wasn't keeping much tabs on Chelsea but genuinely appreciate the dig out.
    Read the rest of my post. It's accurate. I didn't make **** up I was 6 games out. But hey no worries.
    Apart from Klopp almost being relegated with a superior squad than those around him. Bottom of the table in FEB.

And the German league being pretty bad. No worries
    ricero wrote: »
    Jasus not even midday and this thread has gone to the ****s
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    To be fair, this type of post only adds fuel.

Onto the match itself, I expect Jose to setup the team to counter-act Liverpools predictable yet currently effective pressing game.
    I expect Utd to pack Midfield in this case.
    Learned the hard lesson early on against City in the first half. Once he adjusted in the second half we were much more effective.

Liverpools weak defense needs to be targeted on the counter and cross delivery needs to be pinpoint.

As long as we keep a cool head in the first 30 mins or so I can see us getting a result.

Oh, let the battle commence ;)

Lol at this. We have Req Utek blatantly lying about about Klopp's season at Dortmund.

But yet according to Mick Ricero post is only adding fuel :rolleyes:

In fairness he/she is entitled not to rate Klopp. I think Liverpool fans find that naturally difficult to understand but fair enough if you think he's crap by all means say it.

The timing of airing that opinion, right after a string of wins on the bounce and winning Manager of the Month does seem a bit overly confrontational but opinion is opinion. Personally I think he's an excellent manager and one of the best in the league. I also don't think that when a manager stops winning it necessarily means he has been 'found out'. You look at Mourinho and Pep who both play a different style now than 7/8 years ago when they were also successful. This is not because they were found out as being crap, it's because when you play football in a successful way in an innovative style, other teams will try to adapt to counter it (initially being defensive but over time developing tactics to hit at weaknesses) and then also catch up in using the same style themselves. Suddenly tiki-taka wasn't unbeatable, Chelsea weren't able to steamroll the league. But Mourinho and Pep are still excellent managers. I think Klopp is similar, his style seems to work, and I think he has no problem in making changes to it if other teams find success against it.

If you have a bad run and then turn it around and play strong winning football again at he top level, it is more a sign of being a decent manager than being a crap one who's been found out.

I understand United fans having a go at Benitez, Kenny, Hodgson and Rodgers over the past decade, but I don't think the time has come for having a go at Klopp yet, it doesn't really fit at this moment and comes across, to me at least, as sour grapes that he's been winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My thoughts on the teams and game tonight.

United have some better individual players but Liverpool have a better unit at the minute.

As a Liverpool fan looking at the United team the only player I would take is De Gea. I bet the United fans might only pick one from our squad as well (at a push).

Both teams have their strength and Liverpool are a little further down the road of development than United under Mourinho.

I think both sets of fans would gladly take a draw now but arguments can be made for either team winning. Liverpool are susceptible at the back and United are good in the air which will cause problems. I also see Liverpool press causing United problems.

All I want to see tonight is a decent game and hope for a Liverpool win (I'm sure the United fans are the same bar the Liverpool win :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Think harder and you might figure out what the fire is that the fuel is addin to...
    Pretty sure Req was already adding fuel well before Ricero's comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lord TSC wrote: »
    For all the talk about who is better than who, Pool are only 3 points ahead of United. A win tonight for United puts them even points with the same record as each other.

That's a fair point but looking at the opening fixtures Liverpool have had the more difficult games to date.

I wouldn't be confident of a win tonight because usually when United and Liverpool play form goes out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

He was bottom of the league in FEBRUARY. That's pretty damm close to relegation in my eyes.

If United were bottom of the table with 2 months to go I'm pretty sure every media outlet along with opposition fans would be claiming they were nearly relegated. Honestly the mind boggles.

Yes he had players missing even with those injuries his squad was vastly superior to that of many teams ahead of him.

And it's not much better. With the exception of 2 to 4 teams in Munich, Dortmund, Wolfsburg it's a bad league, imo.

And even those teams are pretty horrid. Cologne and RB Leipzig currently make up 2 of the top 3 in the German league.

It's a poor league by most other standards.

It's the typical Liverpool nonsense. 8 games in and you've already won the league in your heads. But look when you've been looking for the title for so long it's easy to get carried away.

Tell you one thing buddy, your location seems very fitting all the same...

You must have missed the last few games.

All jose has to do is look at how teams setup against klopps one dimensional tactic of the press when he was nearly relegated with a father better team than his current pool.

Invite them on very deep back to your keeper and go long. Klopp was exposed badly after he was figured out. It will be the same soon in the epl

Spoke like someone who doesn't follow much football tbh.

If you don't fair enough but your post is ill informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool have only spent 400 million in the last 4 seasons.

How can they compete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Pretty sure Req was already adding fuel well before Ricero's comment.

I'm pretty sure ricero was referring to Req's exchanges (the fire) when he said what he said (the fuel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Drumpot wrote: »
    Liverpool have looked better in pretty much all departments. They look more confident, more comfortable with the system, happier in general, have had a better season, don't seem that be under the same pressure as United players and are rightly favourites.

I feel this game could go a few ways. Liverpool get early goal and steamroll united. United kill the game , turn it nasty and either win 1-0 or draw 0-0. No better manager to ruin a game and ruin a free flowing team like Jose.

How often do these games live up to their billing? As a United fan I am dreading it. I don't know what stage United are actually at or if the players have the confidence to deal with Anfield battle when they have looked so underwhelming thus far.

I wouldn't judge Jose whatever the outcome because klopp has had an extra season with his squad and you would expect more fluency from a team in that situation. Buying Quality players doesn't equate to instant harmony or fluency of play. That said , I personally worry that the person with self doubt and confidence issues is Jose after the Chelsea debacle. He hasn't looked right for me and needs a boost as much, if not more, as the players.

Yup and all this whilst outscoring Barcelona in his tenure as Madrid manager not to mention his Chelsea team scoring as many if not more than many of the teams in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get how all media outlets are praising Klopp and his Liverpool side with their start to the season but Utd fans think they are rubbish. It doesn't make sense.

It would be like Liverpool saying that Utd were no good when they were winning titles.

• Yup and all this whilst outscoring Barcelona in his tenure as Madrid manager not to mention his Chelsea team scoring as many if not more than many of the teams in the league.

The stereotypical postings and musings about Jose from rivals amuses me

• murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get how all media outlets are praising Klopp and his Liverpool side with their start to the season but Utd fans think they are rubbish. It doesn't make sense.

It would be like Liverpool saying that Utd were no good when they were winning titles.

Ah lad!
    Plenty of us who stated you are playing good stuff currently.
    Doesn't mean people can't be critical of Klopp and his managerial history. Same with Jose.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Nice name, i watch a lot, hence me seeing plenty of Bundesliga games where the famous gegenpress was destroyed in his final season.

the simple fact of the matter remains is that he nearly got a vastly superior squad relegated....bottom of ANY table by February is nearly relegated in my book.

Nice name, i watch a lot, hence me seeing plenty of Bundesliga games where the famous gegenpress was destroyed in his final season.

the simple fact of the matter remains is that he nearly got a vastly superior squad relegated....bottom of ANY table by February is nearly relegated in my book.

Except that they were not relegated and qualified for Europe. That's a fact in my book.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Except that they were not relegated and qualified for Europe. That's a fact in my book.

It's hilarious to see this squirming.

If United are bottom in February every Liverpool fan on here will be going on about how Mourinho almost got them relegated.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah lad!
    Plenty of us who stated you are playing good stuff currently.
    Doesn't mean people can't be critical of Klopp and his managerial history. Same with Jose.

Some are but some are trying to make out that Klopp is a bad manager despite Alex Ferguson admitting that they tried to get Klopp at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

RoboKlopp wrote: »

So now he has an inferior team playing well, winning games and scoring more than anyone in a better league? Doesn't he get a lot of credit then for turning it around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Best of luck to all competitors out there later. I wish both teams could win, but they are both winners in my eyes. I think it's more important that they enjoy themselves this evening and let's all hope that football is the true champion of the night.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious to see this squirming.

If United are bottom in February every Liverpool fan on here will be going on about how Mourinho almost got them relegated.

Well he almost achieved it at Chelsea so maybe he'll go one better at Utd.;)

Is there a specific date in February?

In reality your book is pointless and means zero to everyone bar yourself.

I really hate these kind of sweeping statements. I don't know any United fan that thinks Liverpool have been rubbish this season. Ridiculous statement to make.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would top of the table in February and finishing 7th count as almost winning the league?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mourinho lost the players at Chelsea,blamed everyone including the Chelsea doctor & was sacked. Klopp had huge injury problems & lost Lewandowski but turned it around & got Dortmund into Europe & to a cup final.
    But were one off seasons & both are great managers but its clear who handled 2 freak seasons better.

I really hate these kind of sweeping statements. I don't know any United fan that thinks Liverpool have been rubbish this season. Ridiculous statement to make.

Read this thread.

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Would top of the table in February and finishing 7th count as almost winning the league?

Anything is possible with those rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Can't watch the game tonight, gutted to miss it. Wondering if there are any services that show the game in full after the fact?

Mourinho lost the players at Chelsea,blamed everyone including the Chelsea doctor & was sacked. Klopp had huge injury problems & lost Lewandowski but turned it around & got Dortmund into Europe & to a cup final.
    But were one off seasons & both are great managers but its clear who handled 2 freak seasons better.

A small victory for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I know it's not at old Trafford, but I'm still confident of a 4-1 win for the pool..

Read this thread.

I seen one person claim that Klopp's tactics will be figured out in time, maybe I missed one or two others? Either way, there can't have been many at all and it's very disingenuous of you to say that United fans think Liverpool are rubbish on the back of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Honestly dont know how anyone is arguing that klopp almost relegated Dortmund when they finished 7th. yes they had a terrible season but no were near relegation at the end.

Onto the match liverpool is favorites playing the better football but i think it will be a draw with united catching on the counter and set plays. Hopefully united wins but im not overly optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think that my team kicks the ball in a far superior manner to the way that your team kicks the ball. For that, I laugh at you Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They qualified for Europe in the end. How is that close to being relegated?

No doubt they started the season very badly but come on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

XujHL.gif

Haha I'm in stitches here.

Top thread

Haha I'm in stitches here.

Top thread

In fairness you're the one entertaining us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I thought mid term was in 2 weeks time, pub for this game tonight as I no longer give Sky my money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Souness on Sky saying Liverpool have the better group of players, absolutely lolling. Would any of them even get near out team apart from Mane....Nada.

Really need Martial to get back on form tonight, 19 goals 14 assists in his first year in England, better than any other attacker between United and Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Combined 11 anyone.

• Advertisement

• Really need Martial to get back on form tonight, 19 goals 14 assists in his first year in England, better than any other attacker between United and Liverpool.

His goal before the International break should restore some of that confidence. Was a cracker of a goal to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Souness on Sky saying Liverpool have the better group of players, absolutely lolling. Would any of them even get near out team apart from Mane....Nada.

United should be way ahead in the league with a squad of superstars, should really have 100% record this season. Serious questions must be asked about their manager, a man most united fans are on record with their contempt for as Chelsea manager but now all sins are forgiven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Judging by the posts on here, liverpool must be near the peak in their annual seasonal graph. Usually it's late november before they think they are champion contenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I hate and love this match more than any other... :)

Even with Liverpool's decent run of form lately, you can predict nothing in these games...

I never underestimate Mourinho at Anfield, and now that he's their manager he will do something different, possibly not park the bus, but I think if he shifts Pogba around, that alone could well cause us problems...

Of course I hope that isn't the case, but nothing is ever a dead cert in football...

We may nick it 2-1 if we come out of the gates firing, but I would probably take a half exciting 1-1 if offered to me now....

I'm too old for this shít... :)

Going to go with 3-1 to united tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If its free flowing attacking football from both sides I expect Pool to win comfortably.

Jose is too smart for that ,not only knowing the likely hood of being beat but the impact to Man U fans if they are on the end of a stomping.
    As such I expect a tight very physical game ,defensive priority before attack from Man U and the result could go either way.
    Pool will have to score twice to win. Expect a bit of a card fest and will be backing at least one red.
    And that's just this thread:pac:

Judging by the posts on here, liverpool must be near the peak in their annual seasonal graph. Usually it's late november before they think they are champion contenders

Being top in November means a champions league spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Well if United have 10 better players they should have a very easy night of it tonight then.

Well if United have 10 better players they should have a very easy night of it tonight then.

Pointless even playing the game tbh. Just award them the points now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Except no Liverpool fans have said that ever in November

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement