Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liverpool comfortable favourites on form, United having only played well in fits and starts. You can see the cohesion in the Liverpool side playing under their manager for a year and the disjointed play from United at times adapting to their 3rd manager in 4 seasons and major personnel changes. What United do have is better individuals and even in their worst games, these individuals create chances. If Liverpool hit the ground running, they'll win comfortably. If United can weather the early storm they'll create chances and after that, who knows?

The only thing I'll predict for tonight is that United won't win or draw with some magnificent performance of controlled attacking prowess. We haven't shown that so far and we aren't there yet in our development under Mourinho. If they do manage to get a result, it'll involve a bit of luck and some hairy moments for the fans.

I'm going for Liverpool by a goal or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Can't wait for the game. Going to be epic, so many questions - will Jose park the bus (be surprised if not as he will try to contain and control the game), will our midfield work (with two out injured hard to tell), will the defenses crack (probably going to be a goal fest if there's an early score and the occasional blunder), will elbows be flying (definitely!), and will there be drama (more here than on the pitch :) )?!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I love Utd fans, we are crap, liverpool will win this easily, we haven't a hope. Liverpool fans i think it will be a close game, it could go either way.

Utd win. Typical liverpool fans, thought they were going win this one handy, they think they will win the league.

Not all Utd fans it must be said just the majority of them.

Except no Liverpool fans have said that ever in November

Let's be real here, lots of you think you are contenders this year, or are at least quietly confident of making a tilt at it. Maybe not you specifically, but it's no shame to admit it; you're in good form and have a good manager. City have looked good so far but are still light in certain areas and adapting to their new manager, United are turning in disjointed performances and trying to get a working formula, Arsenal are Arsenal and Spurs are Spurs and Chelsea haven't exactly been lighting the world up. I don't think you can make the above statement with any kind of confidence. If you want evidence, look at how confident the Pool supporters are for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Pointless even playing the game tbh. Just award them the points now.

History has shown that sometimes individuals whilst better can't come together as a team. Hopefully when Jose has the same time under his belt as klopp he will have the players playing in a cohesive manner.

Lets not forget how well Klopp has done since replacing Rodgers, I believe hes almost getting to the same win percentage after a year, thats good news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

niallo27 wrote: »
    I love Utd fans, we are crap, liverpool will win this easily, we haven't a hope. Liverpool fans i think it will be a close game, it could go either way.

Utd win. Typical liverpool fans, thought they were going win this one handy, they think they will win the league.

Tbf Niallo, I've not seen any United fans say we are crap.

What I've seen is the acknowledgment that you boys are in better form in the run up to the game and are the favourites, that's very, very different.

You know that not everything is binary and that fan bases are not homogenous groups that all think in the same way right? I personally won't be snagging off Liverpool fans for being confident because I find that **** boring, and I believe you have every right to be confident

I also don't think that United are crap and I believe that we have the raw materials to be a superior side to Liverpool, we're just not there yet - hence my prediction. You're on the crest of a wave, we're trying to find some consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Not whats being said at all, most united fans would concede that you're favorites because your form indicates so.

Most Liverpool fans believe that you should win this game because they believe you will win the league.

There is a difference.

I'll add in the generic, not all of them, most of them comment so I can fall back if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Im going for 3 all tonite,3 pool fans carded,3 utd fans carded,depending on the course of the game a few reds are possible..

As for the game,the manager with the least amount of sackings to his name will hopefully prevail .

Let's be real here, lots of you think you are contenders this year, or are at least quietly confident of making a tilt at it. Maybe not you specifically, but it's no shame to admit it; you're in good form and have a good manager. City have looked good so far but are still light in certain areas and adapting to their new manager, United are turning in disjointed performances and trying to get a working formula, Arsenal are Arsenal and Spurs are Spurs and Chelsea haven't exactly been lighting the world up. I don't think you can make the above statement with any kind of confidence. If you want evidence, look at how confident the Pool supporters are for this game.

Almost every Liverpool fan I know thinks sneaking in 4th would be a realistic target. No mean feat considering the emergence of Spurs as a force.

Title challengers me arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Mourinho to park the bus and be very happy to leave Anfield tonight with a 0-0.

They could be hard to break down, but hopefully we can nick an early goal and make them come out.

2-0 Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'll be drinking cans, no matter what the score is, so I'll be happy.

Not whats being said at all, most united fans would concede that you're favorites because your form indicates so.

Most Liverpool fans believe that you should win this game because they believe you will win the league.

There is a difference.

I'll add in the generic, not all of them, most of them comment so I can fall back if needed.

I dont think any Liverpool fans believe they will win the league, is this what you are saying here.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Almost every Liverpool fan I know thinks sneaking in 4th would be a realistic target. No mean feat considering the emergence of Spurs as a force.

Title challengers me arse

Anecdotally, I know Liverpool fans who think you'll challenge this year. We're not talking about realistic targets here either. Sneaking in 4th is a nice acceptable step goal that you would have had pre season and still holds true come end of season if that's where you end up. But this start and the confidence you guys have in your management and players surely means you believe you can go a bit further.

Let me put it to you this way. What teams in the league do you believe have a better squad and a better manager? Because I think if you're being honest, there won't be many on this list for many Liverpool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Slattsy wrote: »

They could be hard to break down, but hopefully we can nick an early goal and make them come out.

2-0 Liverpool

Liverpool won't have a cleansheet, probably concede 2 and hopefully score more

2-0 Liverpool

First goal is key.

Utd get it and they'll not be beaten imo.

Liverpool get it and it'll suit them perfectly, playing on the break.

You know that not everything is binary and that fan bases are not homogenous groups that all think in the same way right? I personally won't be snagging off Liverpool fans for being confident because I find that **** boring, and I believe you have every right to be confident

I also don't think that United are crap and I believe that we have the raw materials to be a superior side to Liverpool, we're just not there yet - hence my prediction. You're on the crest of a wave, we're trying to find some consistency.

Yes i am quiet confident tonight because the game is at Anfield mainly. You do talk a lot of sense in fairness, there is nothing wrong with being confident and the two teams are at different progression points but no Liverpool fan is taking Utd lightly.

2-0 Liverpool

We won't be hard to breakdown. We are still not where we need to be in defence, particularly from a midfield standpoint. If you've been watching our games this year, you'll know that if Mourinho tries to do a bus park like he used to with Chelsea, we will lose. I genuinely wish I could be confident that Mourinho could set this group of players up to defend and counter, but we've seen no evidence of this so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mods can rest easy until the first goal goes in

Then all hell breaks loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

They don't understand that different fans of the same club can have different opinions and not behave like a giant hive mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think you'll find jose was dismissed 2 months and 9 games into the season.

Klopp was in the relegation places around Xmas. He was found out and changed his pressing tactic mid way through the season to combat the likely hood of relegation. 7th in the German league is probably championship standard football.

Sooo, Jose is better because he managed to get himself sacked before causing any more damage to the club?

Anyway we're all prícks, the lot of us, hope we all lose, the only winners tonight are those who stay away from this thread.

Unfortunately I'm a sadist so I'll see you lot here tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

pub for this game tonight as I no longer give Sky my money

You kind of do indirectly if you're spending money in a pub because they're showing the game on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LiamoSail wrote: »
    You kind of do indirectly if you're spending money in a pub because they're showing the game on sky

Not if said pub gets it via other means

brevity wrote: »

Bit of honesty, good read that. I have softened to him a lot myself in the last few years. Still hate the ****er though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Bit of honesty, good read that. I have softened to him a lot myself in the last few years. Still hate the ****er though.

He's one of those little ****ers that you'd love on your side but hate playing against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Not if said pub gets it via other means

True, but very few and far between do

True, but very few and far between do

Few smaller pubs still chancing it, you will get away with a warning first time but then the big fines kick in. They price they charge pubs is scandalous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

brevity wrote: »

A good read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Top 4 will be a very good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There is no rationale to it but right now I hate each and every one of you red scouse feckers with a passion. I hate my friends, brother, nephews, brother in law and any other bloody "The Pool" sycophants that come out of the woodwork later. F**k the postman even, he looked twice at my United jersey!

I feel a bit ill at the thought of losing this one and having to look at your smug little git faces afterwards. I hate this match with a passion but you know what, I still cannot wait until 8pm tonight! "And it's live.....", Come on United!!!!!

Best of luck lads, may the best team win as long as that's United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah but pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

s.welstead wrote: »
    There is no rationale to it but right now I hate each and every one of you red scouse feckers with a passion. I hate my friends, brother, nephews, brother in law and any other bloody "The Pool" sycophants that come out of the woodwork later. F**k the postman even, he looked twice at my United jersey!

I feel a bit ill at the thought of losing this one and having to look at your smug little git faces afterwards. I hate this match with a passion but you know what, I still cannot wait until 8pm tonight! "And it's live.....", Come on United!!!!!

Best of luck lads, may the best team win as long as that's United!

So what part of manchester are you from?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    So what part of manchester are you from?

Eugh this ole nugget! What age are you? Your on a bloody Irish forum with >90% of users supporting English sides to some degree or another.
    It's none of your business of why I identify with United and chose to support them despite not being born under the shadows of Old Trafford. It's none of your business why anyone here does.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Top 4 will be a very good season.

A diplomatic answer, but it doesn't answer it. I'd be satisfied with a Top 4 finish with United. I won't say that I'm not bitterly disappointed with our start so far and not reasonably confident that Jose can put a run together that will allow us to challenge.

As I said earlier, what teams and managers do Liverpool fans believe are objectively better than their own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

s.welstead wrote: »
    Eugh this ole nugget! What age are you? Your on a bloody Irish forum with >90% of users supporting English sides to some degree or another.
    It's none of your business of why I identify with United and chose to support them despite not being born under the shadows of Old Trafford. It's none of your business why anyone here does.

Of course that's none of my business but an Irish person on an Irish forum calling other Irish people "scouse" is cringe of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hoping for a Zlattrick tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

zerks wrote: »

ahh zuck off

Of course that's none of my business but an Irish person on an Irish forum calling other Irish people "scouse" is cringe of the highest order.

Pretty sure they're not all actual bona fide sycophants either. What's your point?

My post was firmly tongue in cheek, I thought that was obvious. Yours is just a pathetic attempt to get a rise from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Liverpool win will go a long way to them securing their annual goal of a 6th place finish.

All this talk of a Liverpool win is nonsense and plays right into Utd's hands. Utd have far more options to mix their game plan. Tight 1st half. Expect Utd to win comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A diplomatic answer, but it doesn't answer it. I'd be satisfied with a Top 4 finish with United. I won't say that I'm not bitterly disappointed with our start so far and not reasonably confident that Jose can put a run together that will allow us to challenge.

As I said earlier, what teams and managers do Liverpool fans believe are objectively better than their own?

I'm sure each has their own opinions. I really have no idea where Liveprool will finish, could be 1st, could be 7th.

I believe w'll be hard pressed to finish above any of Spurs (really good collective), Arsenal (some excellent individuals and experience) or City (excellent players), but by the same token we have the quality to finish above any of them too if things go right. Whether Liverpool can be consistent enough is the main question, and the answer is probably no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

As a Liverpool fan I won't admit to being in a title race until at least March if we still have a chance. Just like our "great season" we need to be within 10 pts of 1at in March.

That is not being cocky nor is it being disingenuous. I am a 31 year old pool fan who has never seen Liverpool win the league (as a young lad you can't actually experience that).

I have no place demanding or expecting to win the league. United fans have earned expectations over the years where we have Done the opposite.

So as a pool fan I'm not trying to be a dick or sound patronising when I say I would love it if we won the league in my life time but a top 4 this season would be a step forward for us so that would be an achievement to me.

I'm sure others disagree and united fans may think I am accepting mediocrity but the truth is we can't expect what we have not proven to be good enough for in the past.

Good luck tonight united fans. I hope we do beat ye obviously but I don't know any of you so it's not personal. At the end of the day hopefully both teams put on a show and regardless of the result , we both have positives to be taken forward.

Nah mate, asking someone what part of Manchester they are from in order to try to undermine their support is cringe of the highest order. :rolleyes:

zerks wrote: »

I'd be happy enough with an IBRAce!

Mr.H wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I won't admit to being in a title race until at least March if we still have a chance. Just like our "great season" we need to be within 10 pts of 1at in March.

That is not being cocky nor is it being disingenuous. I am a 31 year old pool fan who has never seen Liverpool win the league (as a young lad you can't actually experience that).

I have no place demanding or expecting to win the league. United fans have earned expectations over the years where we have Done the opposite.

So as a pool fan I'm not trying to be a dick or sound patronising when I say I would love it if we won the league in my life time but a top 4 this season would be a step forward for us so that would be an achievement to me.

I'm sure others disagree and united fans may think I am accepting mediocrity but the truth is we can't expect what we have not proven to be good enough for in the past.

Good luck tonight united fans. I hope we do beat ye obviously but I don't know any of you so it's not personal. At the end of the day hopefully both teams put on a show and regardless of the result , we both have positives to be taken forward.

Anyone saying top four wouldn't be a big step forward is the one being an idiot, not you. Top four is a stepping stone for ambitious teams, bar miracle season it's a step that all teams with an eye on the prize take before getting there.

TBF, as a United fan I'd be happy with top four and at least something resembling a title fight.

It was only meant in a throw away comment, he wasnt actually calling anyone here scouse.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm sure each has their own opinions. I really have no idea where Liveprool will finish, could be 1st, could be 7th.

I believe w'll be hard pressed to finish above any of Spurs (really good collective), Arsenal (some excellent individuals and experience) or City (excellent players), but by the same token we have the quality to finish above any of them too if things go right. Whether Liverpool can be consistent enough is the main question, and the answer is probably no.
    This all stems from a conversation that said no Liverpool fan believes that you guys are title contenders. I don't believe this statement to be true and I think people are downplaying their expectations for your squad and manager to a degree. For the record, I'm confident that United will come in top 3 this year once we get going. We are not there yet but I'm not overly fearful of the teams around us either.

This all stems from a conversation that said no Liverpool fan believes that you guys are title contenders. I don't believe this statement to be true and I think people are downplaying their expectations for your squad and manager to a degree. For the record, I'm confident that United will come in top 3 this year once we get going. We are not there yet but I'm not jerky fearful of the teams around us either.

Teams that could put up a title fight this season are City, Arsenal, United, & Liverpool. I can't see Spurs or chelsea being able to put up a fight but if one of the other four balls up they could sneak into the top four.

Anyone saying Liverpool couldn't potentially win the title is being silly. They are playing really well at the moment and have a really good manager. While I don't rate a lot of their players as highly as they might themselves, and I do think that their style of play could leave them running out of steam post Christmas, they should be there or there abouts.

No European football is a big help with the intensity they play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm predicting more action in this thread than on the field.

Jayop wrote: »
    Teams that could put up a title fight this season are City, Arsenal, United, & Liverpool. I can't see Spurs or chelsea being able to put up a fight but if one of the other four balls up they could sneak into the top four.

Anyone saying Liverpool couldn't potentially win the title is being silly. They are playing really well at the moment and have a really good manager. While I don't rate a lot of their players as highly as they might themselves, and I do think that their style of play could leave them running out of steam post Christmas, they should be there or there abouts.

No European football is a big help with the intensity they play with.

I keep forgetting about Chelsea. It's hard to quantify where they are at because they have been disjointed, like United, so far and their manager is new to the league and they have a fairly trigger happy chairman. When the results take a nosedive with Chelsea it invariably ends one way and it usually destroys their season. They have, when he is happy, the second best player in the league after Aguero and a solid midfield and excellent striker but their defence is questionable at best and I'd wonder about their mentality at times. This particular Chelsea side seems a bit fragile so I'd be surprised if they won it this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement