Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United 17/10/16 k/o 20.00 SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mourinho must play 3 centre mids. Use Fellaini as an out ball for defenders and De Gea, and I don't mean hopeful hoofs to box, have him move around outside Liverpools box where he can chest it down. Beat the press that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Livepool 0-17 Manchester united.

united to then walk the league with Rooney playing center mid for the season after Herrera gets attacked by his nan and is out till next year with hurt feels.

in reality fúck knows how the game plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Fellaini would be absolutely the wrong player for this game. We need fast mobile CMs who are capable of closing down and moving the ball quickly to counter Liverpool's pressing game. I'd probably go with a 3 of Carrick (slow I know), Herrera and Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Fellaini plays it'll probably be on the right of a midfield 3 with Pogba left and Herrera in behind with the idea to play over Liverpools midfield instead of through it.

With Fellaini and Lingard or Rashford targeting Liverpool's left back we'll get a lot of joy and it'll free up Martial on the other side as Liverpool try compensate.

If Mourinho goes with the same midfield as against Leicester I think it'll be the equivalent of two heavyweights throwing haymakers at each other but I don't think it'll end well for us as Liverpool have been more clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Liverpool set out their stall early in trying to influence referee. They'll no doubt get another soft penalty and try get Utd players sent off. But for the first time in a long time I don't think they need to use underhand tactics to get a result against Utd because right now they're clearly the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If Fellaini plays it'll probably be on the right of a midfield 3 with Pogba left and Herrera in behind with the idea to play over Liverpools midfield instead of through it.

With Fellaini and Lingard or Rashford targeting Liverpool's left back we'll get a lot of joy and it'll free up Martial on the other side as Liverpool try compensate.

If Mourinho goes with the same midfield as against Leicester I think it'll be the equivalent of two heavyweights throwing haymakers at each other but I don't think it'll end well for us as Liverpool have been more clinical.

No matter how well one team is playing, Liverpool and Man Utd is so bloody hard to predict. I said it over in the Liverpool Superthread but this is the most anxious I've been over one of these matches in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Elbows will start for Man Utd no doubt about. The type of player Mourinho will love for this game.
    I do hope Martial is on the bench. He has been a big threat against us last season. If Lallana & Wijnaldum are fit I can see Pogba struggling in CM with the pressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Korat wrote: »
    Liverpool set out their stall early in trying to influence referee. They'll no doubt get another soft penalty and try get Utd players sent off. But for the first time in a long time I don't think they need to use underhand tactics to get a result against Utd because right now they're clearly the better team.

Cant tell if your serious or fishing...............

Isnt Jose the only one to openly talk about the ref??

I think people whinge way too much about refs. Sure refs where scared in the past of upsetting Fergie but I think by in large refs are proffesional and while some may be stricter than others in certain situations, all refs in teh Premiership are pretty good at what they do.

I see Arsenal fans crying about the red card but at the end of the day if their player didnt cheat by trying to take a player out instead of said player getting a chance to attack, then he wouldnt have been sent off.

The ref is only needed when someone f##ks up.............. so if you play your game and dont f##k up then the ref cant award sh#t against you.

When it comes to diving and trying to influence, refs seem to be slowing that down somewhat also. People need to just forget the ref and just enjoy the game (as much as you can of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

MD1990 wrote: »
    Elbows will start for Man Utd no doubt about. The type of player Mourinho will love for this game.
    I do hope Martial is on the bench. He has been a big threat against us last season. If Lallana & Wijnaldum are fit I can see Pogba struggling in CM with the pressing.

If Fellani does play I can see a peno shout for the pool at some stage. Hopefully everyone will keep their heads on both sides and we wont be talking about the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Fellaini will be a worry for Liverpool when United have the ball, but I'm having enough to have our players go up against him in midfield when we're in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A diplomatic answer, but it doesn't answer it. I'd be satisfied with a Top 4 finish with United. I won't say that I'm not bitterly disappointed with our start so far and not reasonably confident that Jose can put a run together that will allow us to challenge.

As I said earlier, what teams and managers do Liverpool fans believe are objectively better than their own?

For me City, Arsenal, Spurs, United and Chelsea all have better squads than us.

I wouldn't take any of their managers over Klopp though.

The thing with Liverpool is we always tend to do well against the bigger teams but we have always dropped points to the lower teams. That said we have done well so far this season but I really don't think we will win the league.

Like I said Top 4 would be a good season and our aim for the time being should be on becoming a CL regular again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rumours gaining traction that Martial and Mikyryan arent even in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rumours gaining traction that Martial and Mikyryan arent even in the squad.

Would be very happy if Mkhitaryan is out. He'd be somebody I'd be scared of, even off the bench. Don't rate Martial that highly, Rashford is a better player right now, would prefer Rashford to be ruled out.

If Zlatan, Pogba and de Gea want to collectively fall down the stairs that would be nice.

I'm going radio silence soon, in work so will miss everything and planning on watching all of MNF and the full game at midnight spoiler-free!

Rashford isn't a better player yet than Martial. He's currently in blistering form, but I'd want to see a full season like Martial had last year before I'd make that judgement. Martial would be a bigger loss to us than Mkhitaryan would be.

If Shaw is playing I'd go with this, if not then put Blind on the Left and Smalling in the middle.
    DDG
    Valencia Bailly Blind Shaw
    Carrick Pogba
    Herrera
    Martial rashford
    Zlatan

Possibly Mata is hard done by there, and Lingard could make a start given he's the flavour at the moment with England and United but that looks close to our strongest team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jayop wrote: »
    Rashford isn't a better player yet than Martial. He's currently in blistering form, but I'd want to see a full season like Martial had last year before I'd make that judgement. Martial would be a bigger loss to us than Mkhitaryan would be.

Yes I meant on form, that's why I said "right now"

And I disagree about Mkhitaryan. He's an amazing player, and don't forget he knows exactly how a Klopp team plays.

That account is consistently making me laugh.

Good player though, much underrated and seems like a decent chap.

8-10 wrote: »
    Yes I meant on form, that's why I said "right now"

And I disagree about Mkhitaryan. He's an amazing player, and don't forget he knows exactly how a Klopp team plays.

Mkhitaryan is a great player, but he's yet to show any form for United so I can't see him playing in such a huge game after the first half Vs City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah I don't mind a sore loser but a bad winner is the worst type of trait in a human.

i know a lot of utd fans who when they were flying high would send texts and all that jazz, jeering and all.... suddenly over the last few years "they dont watch football anymore" or "ah wouldn't watch that shíte"... met a few out watching the cup final who were jeering me and they didnt even know the names of the 11 out on the pitch... laughable..

lots of glory hunters, lots...more than any other team i would suspect*..

*not based on actual scientific recording but you get my drift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Almost every Liverpool fan I know thinks sneaking in 4th would be a realistic target. No mean feat considering the emergence of Spurs as a force.

Title challengers me arse

every one of them i know says the above anyway...

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    lots of glory hunters, lots...more than any other team i would suspect*..

Much like Liverpool in the early '90s. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

That account is consistently making me laugh.

Good player though, much underrated and seems like a decent chap.

Not afraid to slag himself....

• Jayop wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan is a great player, but he's yet to show any form for United so I can't see him playing in such a huge game after the first half Vs City.

He hasn't had much opportunity tbf
    Needs a solid run in to team at #10 IMO

Much like Liverpool in the early '90s. :)

It's gas, you've all these Irish Liverpool fans in their 30's and 40's who slag United fans for being glory hunters. I guess it was just coincidence that Liverpool were winning all around them when they started following the club.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

No doubt Mick, but do you think this is the game to try it in??

But...Mick....Mata? :(

That's an intresting question. Normally I would say no, but Miki has plenty of experience in understanding how Klopp sets up his teams. I'd be shocked if he did start as Jose will I assume play it safe but I'd say it could be a juicy risk if taken.

I hope to fúck not to be honest. Tongue-in-cheek reply to Mick above aside, Mkhi needs a run in the team starting very soon. Not tonight though, not after putting him into the team all of a sudden against City recently and it backfiring immensely. Maybe sub minutes tonight, but definitely a start on Thursday night.

*Watch now as he is played tonight and becomes a bigger hero than Martial in the Old Trafford fixture last year. Mkhitaryan - I'm sure Martin Tyler could drag that one out for a good 20 seconds.

• stankratz wrote: »
    But...Mick....Mata? :(

This is a problem that Jose needs to figure out. Two quality players of similar styles fighting for the same position IMO
    Miki has way more pace however

Mata has sideways bicycle kicks at Anfiled

• Advertisement

I've a horrible feeling Rooney is going to start tonight.

I've a horrible feeling Rooney is going to start tonight.

Stop it.

Now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

These games could go either way, as always. But I think and hope Liverpool are going to give United a good beating tonight. Strangely confident about the game.

Bring em on !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Can starting big call

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 43s43 seconds ago
    #LFC team to face @ManUtd: Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Henderson, Can, Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge #LFCvMUFC

Cu_Pt0PXgAAiaC7.jpg:large

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 43s43 seconds ago
    #LFC team to face @ManUtd: Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Henderson, Can, Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge #LFCvMUFC

Can is an odd choice

Young the biggest surprise of the two line ups. Some mad pace in the Liverpool front four that we'll need to get a hold of before we can play any football ourselves.

Looks like he's going to use the Fellaini/Young axis to target Liverpool on their left.

Cu_QG-aW8AAAy-1.png

• Advertisement

Can is an odd choice

Especially with Llanananananana fit.

Good man klopp :cool:
    Go get 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Really didn't want to see Fellaini's name there. Has been good this year, but Liverpool's pressing game won't suit him.

Especially with Llanananananana fit.

BBC stated he's injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ashley fúcking Young :(

• Liam O wrote: »

Jose looking for defensive workrate by the looks of it

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

Young's grand for a game like this. Works like a dog and can cause problems.
    BBC stated he's injured

On the bench.

Can is an odd choice

Not really. Played CM for us for the majority of last year and would have started there this year only he was injured at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of Karius so far. I think United can have some joy at set-pieces. I hope to see Mata feature at some stage. I reckon it will wind up a draw.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    Not really. Played CM for us for the majority of last year and would have started there this year only he was injured at the start of the season.

The system looks to have been tweaked somewhat without him in the side this season. Strange bringing him back in now.
    Just because he played CM for most of last season doesn't mean it worked.

The system looks to have been tweaked somewhat without him in the side this season. Strange bringing him back in now.
    Just because he played CM for most of last season doesn't mean it worked.

I'd say Lalana isn't 100%.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement