Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions re fostering...

Options
  • 15-10-2016 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey folks.I have been thinking about fostering and there is nothing more that I would like to do but there seem to be a few hurdles.The biggest seems to be regarding accomodation.I am currently in shared accomodation but have been investigating the possibility of getting a two-bedroomed place on the housing list or via HAP.Because this is all new to me and I am doing it alone I feel like I am somewhat stumbling around in the dark.

I have also read that any prospective foster carer HAS to have a driving licence and access to a car (having said that that was on the FFI website but does not seem to be on TUSLA's).Is this correct? If so that would be another stumbling block as I don't have a car.

This is something I really want to do but I am starting to wonder if it is feasible at all for given these potential hurdles.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

One of the main things about fostering assessment is that they want to see stability. Moving house is a huge life change so you would have to be settled in appropriate accommodation for some time to be considered. They want to see as little upheavel for the child as possible. Depending on where you live, having no car could prove an issue. The child you foster may be in school 25km away from your house, there may be many appointments you could have to bring the child to and you have to bring the child to access visits, which could be in another county. Are you working at the minute? That could also affect your assessment. How could you look after a 2 year old if you are out all day? On the other hand, the fact that you are not working and are on your own in shared accommodation would imply your financially not ready for the commitment. There are lots to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ByTheSeaNew

Thank you for the advice.I am currently in the process of trying to secure a two-bedroomed house or apartment and as I understand it I would have to be living there for a year before I could apply which is what I would do.I am living in the heart of Cork City so I am actually quite close to everything around me and usually travel by bus here anyway.Also,I am applying as a sole applicant and realise that I would have to devote all of my time to a kid and that is perfectly fine with me.I am just wondering about the whole car issue really but FFI are saying that you do have to have one but TUSLA makes no mention of it whatsoever.

The private fostering agencies can differ in their criteria slightly, so if you don't drive, just don't apply with them! It will come up in your interviews, as there will be issues around transportation. A school might be 25km in one direction, you may have to facilitate a round trip of 80km twice a week for access in another while medical appointments or afterschools activities may require further journeys. Have you attended any of the local fostering info sessions? You may get assistance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ByTheSeaNew

I did attend one a number of months back and while it was mentioned in passing that there was alot coming and going in terms of bringing the kid to places they never said that a candidate needed to have a car.

Is it something you would consider to strengthen your application? Not driving would just make the whole thing really awkward for both you and the child. Unless you can't drive due to medical issues, which is another issue. The fact that you would be doing it all alone means there is more pressure on you to make it all work without you having to rely on lifts, buses etc.
    You need to consider the practicalities too. Imagine in a rainy November taking two buses to school to drop the child off, then returning to collect them at 2.30pm. Then a couple of times a week bringing them to counselling/ football/ doctors/ access on the other side of the city. It would be incredibly draining on both of you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement