Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Ryder Cup

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

These days you only get one chance to be ryder cup captain so he was "getting the sack" regardless of the result.

I would hazard a guess that Steve Stricker is most likely to be the next USA captain.He has been a vice captain for the last 3 or 4 Cups and is likely to get the big job for 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    In his last two Ryder cups he’s won 3 points out of a possible 7. Might be 3.5

Played twice yesterday & lost twice. He played Dustin Johnson who was absolutely shocking. Molinari in one Ryder cup has more points than Poulter in his last two. He fell over the line today against the worst display I can remember from a world #1.

Mr. Ryder cup me hole.

Ah don't be a bad loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I would hazard a guess that Steve Stricker is most likely to be the USA captain.He has been a vice captain for the last 3 or 4 Cups and is likely to get the big job for 2020.

Stricker versus Pawdrage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Surprised they didn't mention this on Sky when finishing up

https://twitter.com/ewenmurray77/status/1046439363234725893

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Played twice yesterday & lost twice. He played Dustin Johnson who was absolutely shocking. Molinari in one Ryder cup has more points than Poulter in his last two. He fell over the line today against the worst display I can remember from a world #1.

Mr. Ryder cup me hole.
    Salty enough :)

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Stricker versus Pawdrage?

Possibly, 2020 might be too soon for Harrington though. We will have to wait and see.

fullstop wrote: »
    Salty enough :)

His hero forgot to bring his cape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

fullstop wrote: »
    Good shout there.

Boooooooooooooooooommmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mr. Ryder cup me hole.

Yes but if you know anything about sport - you know what a guy like that does in a team.

It is not just about the points. He would get lads like Rory and the kids up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Yes but if you know anything about sport - you know what a guy like that does in a team.

It is not just about the points. He would get lads like Rory and the kids up for it.

He’s called ‘the postman’ because he always delivers. He’s delivered 3 wins out of last 7 matches. He was referred to as a ‘machine’ on here yesterday when he lost twice.

Listening to the British media & some on here is hilarious. They have very short memories.

He got a pick 4 years ago, when he was playing atrocious stuff coming into it. He was terrible (Rory carried him to a 1/2 point in one match)

But hey, the postman always delivers. He was class in it at one point.....that time is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

So that is that for another two years.

Golfers-who-play-on-the-PGA-tour Team A defeated Golfers-who-play-on-the-PGA-tour Team B.

Ole, Ole etc.

He’s called ‘the postman’ because he always delivers. He’s delivered 3 wins out of last 7 matches. He was referred to as a ‘machine’ on here yesterday when he lost twice.

Listening to the British media & some on here is hilarious. They have very short memories.

He got a pick 4 years ago, when he was playing atrocious stuff coming into it. He was terrible (Rory carried him to a 1/2 point in one match)

But hey, the postman always delivers. He was class in it at one point.....that time is gone.

He just won the Ryder cup with a win against the best US team in my time.

So that is that for another two years.

Golfers-who-play-on-the-PGA-tour Team A defeated Golfers-who-play-on-the-PGA-tour Team B.

Ole, Ole etc.

I enjoyed it - but agree with above.

All back on their planes to Florida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ah stop, sure he only beat the world number 1...if you want to be called the postman you need to be beating better players than that. Or something.

And "Rory carried him" .... Ha ha.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't deny Poult his day out - gives every club pro hope,

probably poults last cup ?

I wouldn't deny Poult his day out - gives every club pro hope,

probably poults last cup ?

He could play in one more but no doubt he will be European captain at some point in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

His win percentage is there for all to see.

Whatever about the rest of this the idea he "fell over the line" is just nonsense. He played almost flawless golf to close out the game - 3 under for the last six and a couple of very close misses. He never gave dj a sniff. You are making a fool of yourself with a line like that.

His ryder cup record speaks for itself.

I'd have massive faith in Rory and will always back him.

But . I'll put my hands up and say - he looked very average out there when you looked at even some of the Rookies in the event.

Fleetwood and Molinari are miles better at present.

He looked very average versus likes of Thomas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yet you’ve posted an awful lot in the thread for someone who doesn’t like the tournament...

Keano wrote: »
    Yet you’ve posted an awful lot in the thread for someone who doesn’t like the tournament...

and - do you say when someone can post now.

I said I do get into it.

But it is no major for me.

Listening to the Europe team press conference... they all had a few beverages. Apparently Thomas agreed to get a tattoo if they won :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Enjoyable event but I really struggle to believe that a lot of the displays of emotion aren’t staged. These players win individual tournaments worth far more to their careers and egos and are reserved and calm in doing so. Suddenly in this event, representing Europe (which no European takes pride in day to day) they are going bezurk.

Either it’s staged or they’re doing it just to annoy the other side. I just can’t buy that it’s genuine.

Enjoyable event but I really struggle to believe that a lot of the displays of emotion aren’t staged. These players win individual tournaments worth far more to their careers and egos and are reserved and calm in doing so. Suddenly in this event, representing Europe (which no European takes pride in day to day) they are going bezurk.

Either it’s staged or they’re doing it just to annoy the other side. I just can’t buy that it’s genuine.

And this year's Oscar goes to.... the winning European Ryder Cup Team.

What a load of.... How anyone doesn't think they are all showing genuine emotions is beyond me.

HighLine wrote: »
    And this year's Oscar goes to.... the winning European Ryder Cup Team.

What a load of.... How anyone doesn't think they are all showing genuine emotions is beyond me.

It is an individual sport and it just looks like the lads love the change to a real team for the week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

and - do you say when someone can post now.

I said I do get into it.

But it is no major for me.
    I wish I had that power ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

Harrington better get his skates on with the Ryder cup captaincy, he probably need to be the running in one of the next 2 Ryder cups because there’s a helluva queue of shoo ins lining up for it in the next ten years. Westwood, McDowell, Garcia, Poulter, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Harrington better get his skates on with the Ryder cup captaincy, he probably need to be the running in one of the next 2 Ryder cups because there’s a helluva queue of shoo ins lining up for it in the next ten years. Westwood, McDowell, Garcia, Poulter, etc

I think he'll definitely captain the team next time around in the US. Westwood then will have the one in Rome.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

I forgot Henryk Stenson and Justin Rose as future shoo ins; both probably have played their last Ryder cups.

• Advertisement

I forgot Henryk Stenson and Justin Rose as future shoo ins; both probably have played their last Ryder cups.

I'd say stenson is gone - but Rose will be back a few more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Lot of golfers having their RC careers ended prematurely here. Would be shocked if we don’t see Rose at least twice more, mildly surprised if we’ve seen the last of Stenson and not shocked at all should Poulter make it back for a swan song. There is some up and coming talent in Europe but it’s not exactly teeming with it at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Can't believe what I just read, honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Rose is the current world number 2 and only 38. I'd be shocked if this was his last Ryder Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

That's who I meant Van de Velt must not have been around

He was on course today, saw him doing coverage for another tv network on course at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think he'll definitely captain the team next time around in the US. Westwood then will have the one in Rome.

Is Westwood a lock? Do you not need at least a smidgen of personality for the job?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Is Westwood a lock? Do you not need at least a smidgen of personality for the job?:P

Bjorns done pretty well at it.

Bjorn has that covered.

Lee Westwood is like Billy Connolly compared to Bjorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

What do you want them to do.Live in cold and misery in europe full time and damage there overall careers just so the Ryder Cup can have more meaning for you.

All the players are from Europe all the players started their careers on the european tour.

Are European Basketball players who chose to play in the NBA any less european because they play in the NBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭who what when

McDowell really? He's more American than some of the Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Of all the recent European victories this was the most impressive for me, considering the strength of the US team.

Didn't make for much of a spectacle mind. I still enjoyed it but I'd love another Celtic Manor/Medinah style thriller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Harrington should go for captain next time as who knows he could miss his place.

I wonder will Phil or Eldrick ever become a captain as let’s be honest they wouldn’t be known for people who hang out with other players so hard to see them be captain and play the whole team leader but who knows

McDowell really? He's more American the some of the Americans.

He was a vice captain this time and possibly in 2016 as well.

Trampas wrote: »
    Harrington should go for captain next time as who knows he could miss his place.

I wonder will Phil or Eldrick ever become a captain as let’s be honest they wouldn’t be known for people who hang out with other players so hard to see them be captain and play the whole team leader but who knows

I would think Mickelson is a certainty for captain in the next few years, Woods possibly not though he was a vice captain in 2016 and was supposed to be in the same role this time until he was named as a wildcard.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I would think Mickelson is a certainty for captain in the next few years, Woods possibly not though he was a vice captain in 2016 and was supposed to be in the same role this time until he was named as a wildcard.

Tiger and Phil will get the Ryder cup captaincy for certain. Phil has prob played his last one, if Tiger stays fit he will play the next one . USA don't have a queue of captains as such. Stricker may have missed the boat . Kuchar doesn't stand out as a captain. Zach Johnson, Phil then Tiger id suggest .

• Advertisement

I think Michelson said before he wanted to be a playing captain I doubt he will get to achieve that but a shoe in for captain at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bjorns done pretty well at it.

Yeah I guess looking back charisma or lack thereof in Ryder Cup captains only becomes an issue in defeat. Not too many chat show hosts would have either Mark James or Ian Woosnam on speed dial, but nobody cared in the latter's case after he delivered at the K Club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Very strange how Europe gets the team thing going, considering it's just a bunch of countries and the USA is a single country. Logic would suggest it should be the other way round. Is it some kind of inferiority complex that binds them? There's no sense to why they should be so passionate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

What do you want them to do.Live in cold and misery in europe full time and damage there overall careers just so the Ryder Cup can have more meaning for you.

All the players are from Europe all the players started their careers on the european tour.

Are European Basketball players who chose to play in the NBA any less european because they play in the NBA.

The contest is a bit of a strange dynamic now. I personally think it's a bit OTT. The Europeans, McGinley, et al. take it so seriously, and prepare so assiduously for it, but really it's only an exhibition at the end of the day. One of the reasons it became so big in the 80s was the rise of the golden generation of Euro golfers: Seve, Langer, Faldo, et al. and the cult of Seve in particular who felt the need to put it up to the Americans. It became competitive after '79 when continental Europe came on board. Back then most of the European team played on the European Tour. Now, as someone said above, a lot of these European players play on the PGA tour, live in the US and are chummy with the US players. So I don't really get why they get so up for it. I suppose the rise of Sky has a lot to do with it. And the European Tour's dependence on the Ryder Cup for a lot of its revenue. And or course the Sky deal with the European Tour plays into that, now extended to 2022.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Very strange how Europe gets the team thing going, considering it's just a bunch of countries and the USA is a single country. Logic would suggest it should be the other way round. Is it some kind of inferiority complex that binds them? There's no sense to why they should be so passionate about it.

The whole world just loves beating the yanks at anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement