Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballintogher / Graigavern (Queen's) - Franklin

• 15-10-2016 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭

3rd great grandfather William Franklin is living at property 5Aa in Ballintogher, Queen's, in the 1842 Valuation Books. I have traced that to what appears to be a house still standing, and in residence today. I'd love to know who owns it now.

The next mention of a specific residence is in the Dog Licences for 1868. All it says is Wm Franklin, Dog Licencee, 30/03/1868, Graiganerne (Graigavern), Ballybrittas, Queen's. Dog's name Jep.

This could be the same William Franklin, aged 68, or it could be his son, also William Franklin. I have no way of knowing. I also have no death or burial for my 3rd great grandfather, so I have no idea if he was still alive in 1868.

Is it curious that he appears only once, in the Valuation Office Books, in 1842, and never appears thereafter, anywhere? He had to live in a house somewhere.

The Lea Church of Ireland registers might help, but they are not onliine, and a request to the parish drew a blank.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, he could have died quite soon after he was in the Valuation book. If he was a catholic, there wouldn't be a burial record, most likely. Have you got a death after 1868 for someone with that name? If not, that's what to look for. The age on death should determine whether it's the father or son.

You trace that plot of land forward to modern times in the Valuation Office in the Irish Life complex in Dublin. The rates will go up to 1977 and you can use bmds in Werburgh St to see who had it after that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement