Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learner bike on a budget !

• 15-10-2016 9:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

What bike do you recommend for a beginner on a budget ? 1000 max I know it isn't high but I'm hoping to get started before christmas , a present for myself I guess and also of anyone knows of any great insurance companies too that helps
    ... Also apologies for not being very knowledgeable about what bike I should get

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

What bike do you recommend for a beginner on a budget ? 1000 max I know it isn't high but I'm hoping to get started before christmas , a present for myself I guess and also of anyone knows of any great insurance companies too that helps
    ... Also apologies for not being very knowledgeable about what bike I should get

What category IBT are you doing? Do you have motorbike gear already? IBT + half decent gear will set you back around €1500.

Insurance depends on age, bike category etc (ranging from €300 to €1200).

For €1000 you might get a 125cc bike like a Suzuki GN125 which is small and painfully slow. My advice: Save up to around €2500 and there will be much more of a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I've got my learner permit since July 2010. Had a Varadero 125 for a brief period. Just renewed the permit a few weeks ago. Looking to get a bike next year suitable for the test. Don't need the IBT afaik....

I'm not interested in sports/racing style bikes. I like the Varadero, but I found the 125 a bit sluggish tbh and the 1000cc would be a bit much for me I think. I also like the dragstar 650. I want something suitable for the test and something I will keep for 2-3 years. Any recommendations?

PS...I need something that won't put alot of pressure on my lower back (had surgery nearly a year ago), so riding position is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

goz83 wrote: »
    I've got my learner permit since July 2010. Had a Varadero 125 for a brief period. Just renewed the permit a few weeks ago. Looking to get a bike next year suitable for the test. Don't need the IBT afaik....

I'm not interested in sports/racing style bikes. I like the Varadero, but I found the 125 a bit sluggish tbh and the 1000cc would be a bit much for me I think. I also like the dragstar 650. I want something suitable for the test and something I will keep for 2-3 years. Any recommendations?

PS...I need something that won't put alot of pressure on my lower back (had surgery nearly a year ago), so riding position is important.

I'm not sure about bikes that would be suitable with a sore back but make sure you're allowed to ride if you haven't done an IBT if you were last on a permit in 2010, you could be restricted to A2 bikes until you do the IBT.. not 100% sure on that but definitely look into it

I'm not sure about bikes that would be suitable with a sore back but make sure you're allowed to ride if you haven't done an IBT if you were last on a permit in 2010, you could be restricted to A2 bikes until you do the IBT.. not 100% sure on that but definitely look into it

Its got A1, A2 and A on the permit.

Anything that I won't be hunched over would be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

+1

I have a Bandit 600 and find it very comfy with my sore back (I have a lapsed disc in the lower back). I also wear a kidney belt which gives me a bit of support.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Used bike prices have gone crazy. Will be hard to get a decent bike with 1 grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Sterling being so low at the minute ya may find some decent deals up north, but as mentioned above could be hard to find much for a grand,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

goz83 wrote: »

I think I read somewhere that ibt cert now expires after 2 years and you have to have a valid cert to apply for your test, if you don't you have to do ibt again

So if cert expired you may not be insured or properly licensed, might be as well off to check this out before you buy the bike

mamax wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that ibt cert now expires after 2 years and you have to have a valid cert to apply for your test, if you don't you have to do ibt again

So if cert expired you may not be insured or properly licensed, might be as well off to check this out before you buy the bike

I got my permit before the IBT certification came into force though. I've just renewed it. On the back of the LP, my A & A1 categories are valid from July 2010, but the A2 is valid from my last renewal last month :confused:

Maybe I hadn't ticked A2 previously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

a2 didn't exist back then :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement