Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUI stance on ASTI strike?

Options
  • 15-10-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

What do people see happening next? Really hope they back the ASTI on this brave move, although I don't hold out much hope when you look at the last few years.

Just tweeked the thread title as things have progressed since, there'll probably be ongoing updates over the coming weeks too.
    MOD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would love to see support but based on past behaviour I don't think it will happen. Given that they put members in mixed union schools in the position of filling out the form to declare membership, thus facilitating the government in identifying who to apply FEMPI to and couldn't see any problem with that. My area rep was totally dismissive of this issue when we expressed concerns - "well, that's their decision not to join LRA, we've joined so they'll have to worry about that". If their guidelines involves members crossing an ASTI picket then I will leave TUI even though I won't personally be affected. I really hope it won't come to that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Surely as a member of the same congress of trade unions the TUI can't ask members to pass a picket? I'd say it'll be really messy in dual union schools. Think I heard Ed Byrne say the other day on PK that it was North of 100 schools, although I previously read 90ish in the papers.

Either which way, it's a lot of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

If a school closes because of an ASTI strike will TUI members get paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

I think they need to come out in support of ASTI - as a TUI member, I certainly wouldn't pass an ASTI picket. I'm already disappointed in TUI and how things have worked out for third level lecturers.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I'd a school closes because of an ASTI strike will TUI members get paid?
    I'd imagine they will if they are available to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

If you don't go into work as there's a strike are you not breaking your service etc without the protection of IR legislation? I'm not sure how it works because TUI teachers crossed the picket the last time as far as I can remember.

There is an issue around closing the schools which would result in a lockout of TUI members also I'd say.

I don't think its as straightforward as we'd like.

I don't know how TUI would support the ASTI in practice other than to recognise and support their right to take industrial action. What else can they do?

Afair in one case non-union and other union staff were asked to sign a doc to say there were available and willing to work if the need arose, but the school was closed on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Afair in one case non-union and other union staff were asked to sign a doc to say there were available and willing to work if the need arose, but the school was closed on the day.

What's a half compliment of staff going to do with a full compliment of students.. keep em all sitting on the floor of the gym for the day?

That's my point, the schools chose not to open, probably for H&S reasons in case all students arrived but non-union and other union staff were paid because they signed that there were available to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

That's my point, the schools chose not to open, probably for H&S reasons in case all students arrived but non-union and other union staff were paid because they signed that there were available to work.

Signing a letter to say you will cross a picket is them same as walking across it, worse in fact, as at least walking across a picket shows some level of balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

judeboy101 wrote:
    Signing a letter to say you will cross a picket is them same as walking across it, worse in fact, as at least walking across a picket shows some level of balls.

Happened during the last strike - non-union members signed to say that they were available for work. The only solution for teachers who did not have any involvement in the issue and who didn't want to lose pay, but who didn't want to fall out with colleagues by crossing a picket.

Happened during the last strike - non-union members signed to say that they were available for work. The only solution for teachers who did not have any involvement in the issue and who didn't want to lose pay, but who didn't want to fall out with colleagues by crossing a picket.

This is the problem. When this is sorted, and it will be sorted one way or another, life will go on but it will take time to heal divisions.

Potentially in dual schools they will still be able to open depending on the number of TUI people to supervise and so on. Perhaps only the strike days will close these schools.?

In asti only schools even the withdrawal from s/s will close the schools of there are teachers absent on certs etc. And nobody to look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am in dual union school. I was told by my colleagues who were there during strikes (before my time.....was it about bench marking???) Tui got paid and did not go to school, asti were on strike. Our school couldn't open under H & S.

Tui make up about 60 or 70% of our teachers....our school is big so I don't think it would stay open this time under H & S. I really really hope we are not expected to pass the picket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Dual union is the one I'm wondering about. Do individual teachers have to inform management they are striking? Otherwise how do management know how many are striking? We're an unusual one in that we don't have anyone in ASTI (as far as we know). If that's the case they need some way of officially figuring out who is who before the strike or there may not even be a picket. Or can the ASTI picket the school anyway even if there is currently only TUI members?

I don't think they can mirrorwall. Think I remember reading something about it on an ICTU page before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I don't think they can mirrorwall. Think I remember reading something about it on an ICTU page before.

Mirrorwall?

Sorry, mirrorwall14, asked Q on prev. page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dual union is the one I'm wondering about. Do individual teachers have to inform management they are striking? Otherwise how do management know how many are striking? We're an unusual one in that we don't have anyone in ASTI (as far as we know). If that's the case they need some way of officially figuring out who is who before the strike or there may not even be a picket. Or can the ASTI picket the school anyway even if there is currently only TUI members?

I would imagine if it's a TUI-only school then it's business as usual. ASTI would just picket their own schools. If there's a mix then folk who are non union/TUI, they will be asked to write a letter to say they are available to work that day. It's usually easy to figure out, especially when the principal/deputy is on a union mailing list.
    If names aren't available then I would presume there's a general call out to all staff to notify the school of their availability to work on the strike days.
    Those that are going on strike wont notify the school.

I heard that pay isn't deducted, it's added up and taken off pension, is that correct?

It was treated the same as crossing a picket in my place. And they actually had to cross the picket the second day as the document had to be signed in school. Most went sick but two actually crossed the picket.

Gebgbegb wrote: »

I heard that pay isn't deducted, it's added up and taken off pension, is that correct?

You lose 1/7th of a week's pay for each strike day. But you also pay less tax. You lose your pension contributions for that day too.

• Advertisement

Most went sick but two actually crossed the picket.
    Is there still resentment about it Alejandro Curved Guano or is it long since forgotten? Exactly how long ago was that?

Is there still resentment about it Arlessienne or is it long since forgotten? Exactly how long ago was that?

That was only in Jan 2015. No it's definitely not forgotten. To be honest there's not much more respect for those who went sick - they got paid for the day too. Those who crossed the picket are quite contrary and involved in a lot of disputes anyway. Personally, I'd have less issue with them than the ones pulling sickies - they were open about their lack of support.

One person actually chose to lose the day's pay in support. They don't agree with unions in general as they don't agree with being bound by collective agreements but they are willing to stick to their own principles when the need arises and agreed with objections to JC at the time.

I can imagine it's those pulling sickies would stick in my craw too!

The picket crossing will only be an issue on the strike days. If the school is closed duecti lack of supervision I think that there will be an expectation that teachers attend work?

There will be no picket on these days as they aren't official strike days, there has to be a clear distinction between being on strike - where you withdraw your labour for 24hours and being in dispute over s/s - where you are available for all your normal duties apart from s/s.

Is there any word from either union on this?

You lose 1/7th of a week's pay for each strike day. But you also pay less tax. You lose your pension contributions for that day too.

The only things that seem important to teachers. Pay and pensions and to Hell with doing the job they are employed to do.

actually, teachers were employed to do S&S, but not paid.
    But I suppose you must be from a time when Nuns and Christian Brothers taught for free and teaching was a vocation.

Got forbid anyone would want to get paid these days... Nevermind a pension!

Anyhow, you're obviously here to troll so good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

The only things that seem important to teachers. Pay and pensions and to Hell with doing the job they are employed to do.

You couldn't actually be more wrong there. The majority of teachers who voted in this ballot or not LPT. They have nothing to gain but just pay to lose in support of our colleagues. Also one of the reasons we have not accepted the new Junior Certificate is to do with our students. I can't agree to Common Level papers. I believe the more capable students need to be challenged more and the less able also have to be comfortable with their courses. Students will be prepared for their exams as always. The more ironic thing about all this is that teachers will make up to students days they lost by more than likely taking students for extra classes in their own time.

It was treated the same as crossing a picket in my place. And they actually had to cross the picket the second day as the document had to be signed in school. Most went sick but two actually crossed the picket.

Most of our non-union staff went in to sign before the picket started to avoid crossing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Most of our non-union staff went in to sign before the picket started to avoid crossing it.

And they are probably new to teaching and who ASTI are fighting for.

And they are probably new to teaching and who ASTI are fighting for.

No, the opposite in fact, older members who left the union to save money or who had never any time for unions. They didn't want to cross a picket manned by their colleagues, so took the common-sense option open to them. I'm in a TUI school and nearly all the younger teachers are members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

We had non union members cross the picket in January 2015. They drove past us at the entrance, waving, stayed for most of the day but left a little early. Hard to forget it to be honest.

Advertisement