Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir unlimited? Not unlimited at all!

Options
  • 15-10-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

I got a new 18 month contract with eir late August/early September, with the understanding that I was getting UNLIMITED broadband internet. Bills were suppose to be around €45 per month. After getting a bill for €155 for going over 1000GB of "unlimited" usage in September and I'm not happy at all. It's 2016, 1000GB is not that high of a limit. How can you call something "unlimited" when it's literally NOT unlimited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

I got a new 18 month contract with eir late August/early September, with the understanding that I was getting UNLIMITED broadband internet. Bills were suppose to be around €45 per month. After getting a bill for €155 for going over 1000GB of "unlimited" usage in September and I'm not happy at all. It's 2016, 1000GB is not that high of a limit. How can you call something "unlimited" when it's literally NOT unlimited?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Frank O. Pinion,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way and I will relay your feedback to the relevant team.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. You can read more on this in out terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭swoofer

Ha ha ha ,  I had the same experience and posted elsewhere.  I blame COMREG who stipulate a policy and never enforce it.  COMREG state that a BB provider who indicates an unlimited package must make it clear on their website that a fair usage policy applies in this case 1000GB = 1TB, which is not unlimited by any stretch of the imagaination.  BUT try finding that on the eir website.   All COMREG has to do is tell eir that their UNLIMITED is a lie and dont use it. 

Just imagine if one hired a car with unlimited mileage and after a week you got back to hire company and had done 1000miles and the hire compant said, " Hold on .. you owe us another 300 quid as you exceeded our limit of 250 miles."  That is what eir are getting away with.

By the way you should have been warned that you were going to exceed your unlimited limit.  If not you have a good case for a refund.

Pamela, your link is out of date, this is the most recent and you will note that it is the small no.5 that refers to the fair usage paragraph but there is no mention of that fact.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

They should at least be required to display it on the customers usage summary page. I have to check to make sure I'm not getting close to going over my "unlimited" cap quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

The equivalent of 11 hours of hd streaming every day for the month is a huge amount of data usage in this day and age.

vandriver wrote: »
    The equivalent of 11 hours of hd streaming every day for the month is a huge amount of data usage in this day and age.
    No it isn't, for one person maybe. Imagine a house of 4 people, that's just 2.75 hours per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

No it isn't, for one person maybe. Imagine a house of 4 people, that's just 2.75 hours per day.
    The TV service that you ditched to be a cord cutter suddenly seems like better value!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

vandriver wrote: »
    A single game for PS4/Xbox1/PC can be 50-60gb now (BF1 is 50gb I believe). Netflix, Youtube and various other services can consume quite a bit in a family household too. I've a family of 4 and we regularly approach 900gb a month easily and that's without Netflix. They shouldn't be allowed to use the term unlimited on their packages - it's not unlimited at all and the data allowance should be displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Frank O. Pinion,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way and I will relay your feedback to the relevant team.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. You can read more on this in out terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

So you could say they're not unlimited at all then? Why call them unlimited?
    swoofer wrote:
    By the way you should have been warned that you were going to exceed your unlimited limit.  If not you have a good case for a refund.
    I was never warned, or of the charge of "€2.50 per 10GB over 1000GB, up to €100".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I was on the phone to Eir this morning and was told "all competitors have a fair usage policy and you'd be charged for going over their limits." Well I've checked with Virgin Media and Sky and their unlimited packages are in fact, truly unlimited, no charges, no €2.50 per 10GB for going over 1000GB. Unlimited means unlimited. The girl I was talking to from Eir argued with me about Virgin's policy.

So now I'm being straight up lied to by Eir.

Advertisement