Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi door intercom

Options
  • 15-10-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for something with a camera on it , tidy for the front door with a camera and push button. I have good WiFi signal at the front door.

I'd like to use the pair of door bell cables to power it , it's a short run . So I need a wireless chime inside.

Anyone recommend one ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you looked at Ring.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Stoner wrote: »
    Looking for something with a camera on it , tidy for the front door with a camera and push button. I have good WiFi signal at the front door.

I'd like to use the pair of door bell cables to power it , it's a short run . So I need a wireless chime inside.

Anyone recommend one ?

Hikvision have a brilliant intercom. It's a cat 5 from the door station to the POE unit and cat 5 from screen to POE. The screen is WiFi for Internet connection. It's viewable via app and you can see and talk through the app if you're not at home. It can be hooked up to an existing Hikvision CCTV system so images can be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

KoolKid wrote:
    Have you looked at Ring.com?

I did before I think you recommend it but is forgotten about them thanks

Stoner wrote:
    I did before I think you recommend it but is forgotten about them thanks

I just checked i had that added to my list on amazon I liked it as I could use the chime too.

There are loads of solutions on Amazon but it's getting one that you know someone has used successfully before is the trick.

Who sells them here?

Hikvision have a brilliant intercom. It's a cat 5 from the door station to the POE unit and cat 5 from screen to POE. The screen is WiFi for Internet connection. It's viewable via app and you can see and talk through the app if you're not at home. It can be hooked up to an existing Hikvision CCTV system so images can be recorded.

That sounds great alright I really wished I pulled in a Cat 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Have the ring doorbell at home. Doddle to set up, can be battery powered for months at a time or wired into the existing bell wire for power and to ring the existing bell. Two way audio between your phone and the door, and cloud recording for about $30 a year after a month free trial. Just make sure you have decent wifi, we have problems with interference at home so there can be a few seconds delay between the button being pushed and getting a notification.

TheChizler wrote:
    Have the ring doorbell at home. Doddle to set up, can be battery powered for months at a time or wired into the existing bell wire for power and to ring the existing bell. Two way audio between your phone and the door, and cloud recording for about $30 a year after a month free trial. Just make sure you have decent wifi, we have problems with interference at home so there can be a few seconds delay between the button being pushed and getting a notification.

Did one pair power the unit and double for the door bell?

TheChizler wrote:

Did one pair power the unit and double for the door bell?
    Yep. Literally just a swap with the old button.

That's exactly what I want , thanks guys

Saw some poor reviews about buttons falling off after 6 months etc . Good to see an Irish review

Where did you pick it up. I'll be buying this in Dublin if I get it

Have you tried Natcom's V range gear? It's two wire and decent enough.

• Advertisement

Not sure where to get it here in a bricks and mortar shop. Got it on eBay for $160. Think it's available on Amazon too but it tends to be sold out.

Have you tried Natcom's V range gear? It's two wire and decent enough.

The natcom easy two wire system, you are bringing me back now!

That was always good stuff alright , I'll look again

I like that ring stuff , I see they are registered on IFTTT

Very close to getting the ring one.

I've looked at some of the recipes and I can use it to turn on my lights etc when the door bell is used etc so that's a big plus for me.
    I can get it to flicker lights on a Philips hue system too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Interested in the Ring doorbell myself.

Anyone know - without hooking it up to our existing doorbell, will the Ring make am audible noice? Are you completely reliant on the app unless you wire it up?

peejay1986 wrote:
    Anyone know - without hooking it up to our existing doorbell, will the Ring make am audible noice? Are you completely reliant on the app unless you wire it up?

Mine has arrived. It hooks up like a doorbell so if you have one working now as is a wired doorbell with 12vac traffo it will work again as a door bell and with all the extras

The outside unit itself doesn't make a noise, but even if it did sure it's outside. You can get the Ring branded chime or other IFTTT things that work with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

IIRC you can connect the ring into your existing traditional chime unit although thinking about it that might be the Ring Pro.

Really interested to hear how anyone finds these after a few days of use.

Graham wrote: »
    IIRC you can connect the ring into your existing traditional chime unit although thinking about it that might be the Ring Pro.

Really interested to hear how anyone finds these after a few days of use.
    The regular one can all right.

Graham wrote:

The ring pro needs 16 to 24 volts and is not marketed here for that reason. It has no battery 5 GHz and 2.4 WiFi not just 2.4 , 1080p not 720p video and you can draw out its recording area.

The ring chime works on WiFi

If you've no wi-fi you've no ring chime or app or video.

If you hook it up to an existing doorbell you will still have this in the event of a WiFi outage

I didn't get the pro as I've a 12v chime and traffo already. 720p is good enough for me.
    My 5gHz WiFi won't reach outside but my long-range 2.4gh will. And finally I want it recording every movement so I don't need to mark the recording area. However I would consider the pro under different circumstances. It's smaller too. As it has no battery. But the battery is. Massive plus.

• Advertisement

The ring pro needs 16 to 24 volts and is not marketed here for that reason. It has no battery 5 GHz and 2.4 WiFi not just 2.4 , 1080p not 720p video and you can draw out its recording area.

The ring chime works on WiFi

If you've no wi-fi you've no ring chime or app or video.

If you hook it up to an existing doorbell you will still have this in the event of a WiFi outage

I didn't get the pro as I've a 12v chime and traffo already. 720p is good enough for me.
    My 5gHz WiFi won't reach outside but my long-range 2.4gh will. And finally I want it recording every movement so I don't need to mark the recording area. However I would consider the pro under different circumstances. It's smaller too. As it has no battery. But the battery is. Massive plus.

This product has me interested. How are you finding it? pros and cons?

There's a couple of bell transformers on Amazon UK that others have used with Ring Pro.

Graham wrote:
    There's a couple of bell transformers on Amazon UK that others have used with Ring Pro.

Yeah it wasn't the 50 extra dollars. I like the battery option as I can move it to better location or use it elsewhere etc.

Overall I'm happy with it.

The big pro, its retro fit

The con is that your WiFi needs to reach outside

The big pro I'd that you its retro fit

The con is that your WiFi needs to reach outside

Thanks Stoner. On the the face of it, it looks pretty good. Think I'll order a unit and try it out. For that money it's hard to go wrong.

Yeah it wasn't the 50 extra dollars. I like the battery option as I can move it to better location or use it elsewhere etc.

Overall I'm happy with it.

It's the battery thing I'm trying to avoid, recent Arlo experience has me turned off battery powered devices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Magellan Murphy

It's the battery thing I'm trying to avoid, recent Arlo experience has me turned off battery powered devices.

Handy when your stoned though.

Graham wrote:

Yeah tbh . I'd get either one depending on the circumstances. Just for me on the balance the basic suited. I'd get the pro if it suited

I'd definitely avoid the battery option if possible.

Does anyone know any Irish suppliers of this gear?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Magellan Murphy

Don't be bothering with Irish suppliers unless you like being ripped off.

Advertisement