Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with the tricolour flags in Deansgrange?

Options
  • 15-10-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭

A few days ago I noticed that someone had taped some Irish tricolour flags to lamp posts along Deansgrange Road, they've been progressively adding to the collection and as of this Saturday (Oct 15th) afternoon they now extend from the main gate of the cemetery right up to the intersection of the Monkstown relief road.

Anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Spotted that last weekend myself.

There is a house up towards the roundabout that hoists a large Tricolour up their flagpole regularly.

I assumed it was the same guy sticking other Tricolours up around the area.

Its a long shot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

The flags are along the road from the cemetry entrance towards monkstown. Might be for a cortege running from the republican plot in deansgrange cemetery. Some type of commemoration maybe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Certainly adds a distinctly West Belfast flavour to the area.

Flegs...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

There is an annual SF march from Bakers to the Republican plot on Easter Monday. Maybe with the year that's in it there is an extra event this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I do understand where you are coming from, but its a pity that in no other Country would there be a seditious undertone to why someone might hoist a bunch of national flags.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In other countries, people have due respect for their national flag. They aren't stapled up to every vertical piece of street furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I do understand where you are coming from, but its a pity that in no other Country would there be a seditious undertone to why someone might hoist a bunch of national flags.

That is part of the problem that we "allowed" the Shinners to appropriate the national flag. I could understand them having the tricolour flying at elections in Northern Ireland but when they started hoisting them when TDs were getting elected it was pretty sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    In other countries, people have due respect for their national flag. They aren't stapled up to every vertical piece of street furniture.

What country is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

That is part of the problem that we "allowed" the Shinners to appropriate the national flag. I could understand them having the tricolour flying at elections in Northern Ireland but when they started hoisting them when TDs were getting elected it was pretty sad.

SF didn't need to be allowed. It's our national flag, we all own it. I don't see how its a bad thing. I'm not a SF voter by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

So you haven't visited the USA then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

SF didn't need to be allowed. It's our national flag, we all own it. I don't see how its a bad thing. I'm not a SF voter by the way.

Sorry I meant in that because nobody else was respecting it and flying it (apart from sporting occasions) that was how they nearly became the owners of it.

I remember being in Estonia a number of years ago and lots of houses there were flying their flag.

I don't think any political party should have ownership of our flag.

ted1 wrote: »
    What country is that?

You want one country? Norway. :)

So you haven't visited the USA then?

I have, and have seen varying levels of patriotism from the appropriate, to the dis-respectable to the fervent nationalism levels of 1930s era Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I am told those tricolour stickers all over the place are put their by those republican headbangers in Eirigi so I think there was a conscious seditious overtone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fairness, despite the type of usage we are talking about, the Irish are pretty decent about respecting their flag. Sure, there are some paddywhackery souvenirs with the tri-colour on them, but nothing compared to Britain and America where they have allowed their standard to appear on every bit of tat and inappropriate purpose you could think of. Union Flag adult toy, bikini or towel anyone?

To my mind, if you want to fly a national flag, never let it hit the ground and never rest anything on top of it, or deface it.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In fairness, despite the type of usage we are talking about, the Irish are pretty decent about respecting their flag. Sure, there are some paddywhackery souvenirs with the tri-colour on them, but nothing compared to Britain and America where they have allowed their standard to appear on every bit of tat and inappropriate purpose you could think of. Union Flag adult toy, bikini or towel anyone?

To my mind, if you want to fly a national flag, never let it hit the ground and never rest anything on top of it, or deface it.

Ah I just had memories of the first time a 20 year old me entered a strip club in America, greeted by a lovely local lady wearing a Stars and Stripes bikini handing out bud light and welcoming us.....ah good times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

One of them has a Manchester United flag up.
    The gas thing is he hasn't noticed it's actually the Man U logo over the English St. George cross flag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Is it not a response/protest to Mary Mitchell O' Connors proposal to rename Dun Laoghaire to Kingstown again as a celebration of 100 years since George V became the first monarch of the House of Windsor in 1917

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Is it not a response/protest to Mary Mitchell O' Connors proposal to rename Dun Laoghaire to Kingstown again as a celebration of 100 years since George V became the first monarch of the House of Windsor in 1917

I've heard it's that Dun Laoghaire wants to be part of Brexit and be annexed from the rest of the south and returned to the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I've heard it's that Dun Laoghaire wants to be part of Brexit and be annexed from the rest of the south and returned to the mainland.

I went to post a letter to the mainland last week and nobody knew how much the stamp was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

My guess is that Eirigi are responsible.

They do something similar in Donnycarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

back on topic, I'm opening a duty free shop on the border (Shankill).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

aphex™ wrote: »
    The gas thing is he hasn't noticed it's actually the Man U logo over the English St. George cross flag :D

Noticed that yesterday alright, I had just come on to post the same thing.

sport-graphics-2007_702030a.jpg
    aphex™ wrote: »

Reminds me of this http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00702/sport-graphics-2007_702030a.jpg

Tricolours have all now been removed and peace has returned to Deansgrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tricolours have all now been removed and peace has returned to Deansgrange.

All bar one - there's still a lonely flag fluttering near 'The Bungalow' convenience store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

coylemj wrote: »
    All bar one - there's still a lonely flag fluttering near 'The Bungalow' convenience store.

I think you mean "The Bugnalow"

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Ha! You beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fixxxer wrote: »
    I think you mean "The Bugnalow"
    mmg0305 wrote: »
    Ha! You beat me to it

Never noticed that! I only ever pass it in the car and the signs facing Deansgrange and Blackrock have the correct spelling.

View of the shop ......

https://goo.gl/maps/p58NXacdu6k

• Advertisement
Advertisement