Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this apparatus called.

• 15-10-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

See attached pic. What is this apparatus called.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Farmers walk bar I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Farmers walk bar I think.

Thanks, would doing this be a kind of similar exercise to the deadlift?

Edit, I am not talking about actually walking with it, im just talking about standing on the spot and lifting it up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

obi604 wrote: »

On investigation..its called a trap bar.

Yes its used for DL's. The farmers walk woukd be an entirey different exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Strangely enough I've only seen this for the first time today on a FB video (don't judge me!).

In the video a person was moving forward inside the bar and the back of this equipment was tied to a resistance tether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hex bar / trap bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Edit, I am not talking about actually walking with it, im just talking about standing on the spot and lifting it up and down.

It's trap bar. It can be used to do trap bar deadlifts, which put less strain on the lower back. The bar can also be used for shrugs, which build the trap muscles. The bar in my gym weighs 25kg. Not sure if that's the same everywhere though.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's trap bar. It can be used to do trap bar deadlifts, which put less strain on the lower back. The bar can also be used for shrugs, which build the trap muscles. The bar in my gym weighs 25kg. Not sure if that's the same everywhere though.

Let's say my form in doing the standard dead lift is not great. Plus my lower back gives me issues from time to time.

Can I replace the trap bar deadlift with the standard bar deadlift from time to time ? Will the trap bar deadlift essentially target similiar muscles that the standard deadlift targets ?

Let's say my form in doing the standard dead lift is not great. Plus my lower back gives me issues from time to time.

Can I replace the trap bar deadlift with the standard bar deadlift from time to time ? Will the trap bar deadlift essentially target similiar muscles that the standard deadlift targets ?

I really only do trap bar deadlifts mainly because of lower back issues. And I asked that very same question that you asked a few months ago.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/99842104

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I really only do trap bar deadlifts mainly because of lower back issues. And I asked that very same question that you asked a few months ago.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/99842104

Do you find that your Lower back is pdin free now with the trap lifts ?

• Advertisement

Do you find that your Lower back is pdin free now with the trap lifts ?

Totally. But we may have different back issues

The mechanics are different with a trap bar but it would probably be better if you worked out why you form isn't good for conventional deadlifts because they may carry over to trap bar deadlifts in a different way if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I found the trap bar very uncomfortable for deadlifts. Something about the hand position made my neck and shoulders feel weird.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its also a lot easier to accidentally hyperextend the back using the trap bar. With conventional deadlifts your hips tend to hit the bar before this happens.

Anyway its a grand exercise and requires less mobility than a conventional deadlift just be careful locking out not to lean back or let your hips come out from under you

See attached pic. What is this apparatus called.

What is the wright of the trap bar - without any weights on it ?

What is the wright of the trap bar - without any weights on it ?

It can vary. Some are 20kg, some 25kg, found out the one in the gym I use is ~32kg.

It doesn't really matter. Measure what's put on the bar relative to the previous time.

Advertisement