Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended sea angling book

Options
  • 15-10-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Gents and ladies,

Me and my 2 young lads have recently started getting into sea angling. We live in the south west near the sea, and it's one of the few outdoor activities that can compete with computer games (them, not me!). A few of the times we've been out we've done well, catching a good few mackerel and Pollock, other times like today we didn't catch a thing but still enjoyed ourselves.

Anyway just wondering can anyone recommend a couple of really good books on sea angling off rocks, not off a boat. A book that caters for both novices like us, as well as those who are at it a bit longer, would be ideal. Just want to have something we can be learning from as well as through experience.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but couldn't find anything. If it has, a link would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Congrats on getting the youngsters into fishing, not enough kids at it.
    I don't know of any books but everything you want to know will be online. Total Sea Fishing and Sea Angler are both good magazines but a little expensive and repetitive.
    If you have any specific questions then fire away, you'll get plenty of answers.
    Totally awesome fishing on YouTube is great. The lads in it are wired and well worth watching. The kids will love it and they talk you thru a lot of stuff in detail so you'll pick up tips too.
    Be careful on rocks with the kids, from now on it can be dodgy, even on a calm day there's always a chance of a rogue wave coming it.
    Piers can give good fishing and can be much safer.
    Like I said, any specific questions, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

.red. wrote: »
    Congrats on getting the youngsters into fishing, not enough kids at it.
    I don't know of any books but everything you want to know will be online. Total Sea Fishing and Sea Angler are both good magazines but a little expensive and repetitive.
    If you have any specific questions then fire away, you'll get plenty of answers.
    Totally awesome fishing on YouTube is great. The lads in it are wired and well worth watching. The kids will love it and they talk you thru a lot of stuff in detail so you'll pick up tips too.
    Be careful on rocks with the kids, from now on it can be dodgy, even on a calm day there's always a chance of a rogue wave coming it.
    Piers can give good fishing and can be much safer.
    Like I said, any specific questions, just ask.

Thanks Red, all good advice there.

After reading a few good reviews and finding a cheap second hand copy, decided to order a copy of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-River-Cottage-Handbook/dp/1408801833

Only paid a tenner or so all in, and should be able to pick up a few things from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Totally awesome fishing has a massive beach series - Hrs and Hrs of footage thats well put together and fun for the kids too. I thoroughly recommend it.

Also you can visit http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/ for some more in depth reading and reports. The lads on there are fantastic help to newbies and wont put you wrong.

ardinn wrote: »
    Totally awesome fishing has a massive beach series - Hrs and Hrs of footage thats well put together and fun for the kids too. I thoroughly recommend it.

Also you can visit http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/ for some more in depth reading and reports. The lads on there are fantastic help to newbies and wont put you wrong.

Cheers ardinn, will check that out with the boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I have an ancient book published by the Central Fisheries Board - "Sea Anglng" by Norman Dunlop and Peter Green. It starts with a very short overview of techniques, then species and baits and records. But the part I used it for is the list of places to fish around the coast - they're out of date and optimistic, but the locations are well described.

However, I think it has been superseded by the contents of sea-angling-ireland.org

Advertisement