Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gained 20lbs but dropped measurements?

• 15-10-2016 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Hey guys wondering if someone here more knowledgeable than me can help me figure out wtf is happpening.
    So I weighed myself last week and the scale said I had gained 20lbs, I thought there might be something wrong so I bought new bateries (digital scale) and tried to place some dumbbells on it see if it weighs them correctly. It did so I don't think there's something wrong with it. But it still says I am 20lbs heavier.

I know thats common in weightlifting but I actually only started weightlifting this week, I doubt a week of that would cause 20lbs weight gain?
    Also fiy my measurements have decreased by up to an 1in or more in all areas and I'm still wearing the same dress size, totally baffled...
    If someone could give me an idea of whats going on I'd be very grateful!

Comments

Gained since when

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

bluewolf wrote: »
    Gained since when

Last week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Sorry I didn't include this info,
    I measured and weighed myself in May and recorded these figures, then when I weighed myself again last week it said I was 20lbs heavier but my measurements had dropped. I used the same measuring tape if it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

cinnamony wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't include this info,
    I measured and weighed myself in May and recorded these figures, then when I weighed myself again last week it said I was 20lbs heavier but my measurements had dropped. I used the same measuring tape if it matters.

Have you done any other training since May apart from weights this past week. You're correct, week of weight training isn't going to change your body shape dramatically.

Have you done any other training since May apart from weights this past week. You're correct, week of weight training isn't going to change your body shape dramatically.

No I have only done cardio and a ton of walking, with that said I go up and down flights of stairs often and when I do I have to be on my toes for some reason I can't do jumping/climbing movements without being on the tip of my toes. So even when I do lets say jumping jacks I'm on tip toes.... I wonder if perhaps this could have built muscle in my legs? But I don't know...it still seems like that might not explain it?

• Advertisement

No I have only done cardio and a ton of walking, with that said I go up and down flights of stairs often and when I do I have to be on my toes for some reason I can't do jumping/climbing movements without being on the tip of my toes. So even when I do lets say jumping jacks I'm on tip toes.... I wonder if perhaps this could have built muscle in my legs? But I don't know...it still seems like that might not explain it?

If you're wearing the same dress size, but down an inch in all areas, and gained 20 lbs I'd suggest you measured differently this time, such as not exactly measuring the same areas.

Maybe bloating, body fluid levels might have some impact.

If you're wearing the same dress size, but down an inch in all areas, and gained 20 lbs I'd suggest you measured differently this time, such as not exactly measuring the same areas.

Maybe bloating, body fluid levels might have some impact.

I divide all of my body parts like upper bicep, lower bicep, then lower arm and wrist, upper abs, middle, low abs etc. Wouldn't this reduce the risk of wrongful measurements? I mean there's not many ways i could go about it tbh (as far as I see)... I also don't pull at the measuring tape.

Yeah i thought it may be bloating too, I drink tons of water and don't eat much salt but some foods really don't agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Try another scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Have you considered the scales was wrong when it said you were 20lb lighter?

Try another scales.
    Have you considered the scales was wrong when it said you were 20lb lighter?

Yup i have considered, which is why I weighed my dumbbells on it, it weighed them perfectly fine but when I weigh myself my weight is 20lbs higher,
    I'll pop into the pharmacy/boots soon, if it still says I gained 20lbs then I guess its either one of the reasons already mentioned in the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yup i have considered, which is why I weighed my dumbbells on it, it weighed them perfectly fine but when I weigh myself my weight is 20lbs higher,
    I'll pop into the pharmacy/boots soon, if it still says I gained 20lbs then I guess its either one of the reasons already mentioned in the thread!
    He was walking about the measurement back in may.
    Maybe that one was incorrect, and the current one are all right.
    There's no way to go bank and check.
    But if you gained 20lbs you'd notice

Mellor wrote: »
    He was walking about the measurement back in may.
    Maybe that one was incorrect, and the current one are all right.
    There's no way to go bank and check.
    But if you gained 20lbs you'd notice

The one in May was probably correct as i got it confirmed at the Dr and it was the same weight I have been for the past 2 years, until this new one... which is why I was kinda shocked by it hahaha

Okay, you are at where you are at. Time to move on.

You've started to do weights, which is good. Although, doing exercises may increase appetite, which is not so good.

Look up or seek advice on a fitness programme, but also (possibly more important) a calorie deficit diet.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The one in May was probably correct as i got it confirmed at the Dr and it was the same weight I have been for the past 2 years, until this new one... which is why I was kinda shocked by it hahaha

If you are confident that both measurements are accurate, then you've probably put in the weight. Can't see any other option

Advertisement