Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1.5k to spend on road bike

Options
  • 15-10-2016 6:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭

maybe there should be a subforum for these threads.

i've seen the cannondale CAAD12 105 for about the €1.5k in 2wheels, and i do like the look of it. anyone have any other suggestions in that price bracket?
    haven't fully decided if i'd want to go down the disc route, or CX/gravel route either.

i've been in humphries and one option might be to build a bike from one of the multitudes of frames they have hanging from the ceiling. unfortunately, one option i was leaning towards, of getting a nice steel frame, is very limited there as they've only one frame in my size.

will probably have to go bricks'n'mortar due to BTW limitations in work; am based on the northside so it'd make sense to stay relatively local.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Budget an extra €500 to get a cross dog to mind that machine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I was going to post something along the same lines. Caad12's biggest rival at the mo is its supersix brother which is similar money online with 105.

I know the mags are saying the caad12 is as good as a carbon bike. But perhaps they mean "almost as good as" which is just a euphemism for "not as good as"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

What size are you looking for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm about 5'8" so about 52cm I guess?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i also like the look of the genesis bikes, the equilibrium 20 is in the price range, and a lovely looking machine.

• Advertisement

seriously.

gng51_more1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

With sterling tanking, you'll get quite a bit on uk sites like Paul's cycles.
    Giant TCR Advanced 1 for about 1330 or Super 6 Evo Ultegra for 1680. They're the euro prices at today's exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's the craic with delivery to Ireland from those UK sites as a matter of interest?

rtmie wrote: »
    With sterling tanking, you'll get quite a bit on uk sites like Paul's cycles.
    unfortunately, i may be limited to bricks and mortar shops.

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's the craic with delivery to Ireland from those UK sites as a matter of interest?
    Not sure with Paul's, I think I heard someone mention region of eu70 not sure. Wiggle and chain reaction free I think, at least chain reaction was a couple of years ago when I bought a a bike for one of the young fellas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wiggle and chain reaction free I think, at least chain reaction was a couple of years ago when I bought a a bike for one of the young fellas.

Wiggle and CRC appear to be seriously taking the píss out of their Irish customers at the moment though. Not sure I'd be using them at present.

smacl wrote: »

Wiggle and CRC appear to be seriously taking the p ss out of their Irish customers at the moment though. Not sure I'd be using them at present.
    Hadn't really followed that other thread, but assume it can be gotten round by paying sterling and having bank/cc company apply rate. Certainly.have done that with other sites in the past. Ots not unusual behaviour for UK companies down the years even when stg was strong. I guess shouldn't open that discussion here!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hadn't really followed that other thread, but assume it can be gotten round by paying sterling and having bank/cc company apply rate. Certainly.have done that with other sites in the past. Ots not unusual behaviour for UK companies down the years even when stg was strong. I guess shouldn't open that discussion here!

Nah, devious b'stards change the price based on where you're shipping to. Parcel motel is a work-around, but personally I'll be shopping elsewhere until they can match or beat the delivered price of their competitors. Some nice deals on Evans last time I looked, and colm18 linked some crackers on salden.nl.

smacl wrote: »
    Nah, devious b'stards change the price based on where you're shipping to. Parcel motel is a work-around, but personally I'll be shopping elsewhere until they can match or beat the delivered price of their competitors. Some nice deals on Evans last time I looked, and colm18 linked some crackers on salden.nl.
    Argh. Use parcelmotel alright, suppose you could get a bike delivered and pick it up from the depot. Evans had some great end of 2016 stock drals modtly gone now. Saw the links from Salden, I often lurk there, unfortunately they always seem to have only odd sizes. I am waiting BTW to tick in again in the new year so spending lots of time furtively surfing around to pass the evenings. Need to get a life. :-)

i've been told that the caad12 (and all caads) are very aggressive in terms of geometry, so maybe not something which would interest me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

I have a CAAD 10 which is a frame of race geometry and it feels like a go kart compared to my steel light tourer which is a Condor. Check out Condor bikes of London, they are very nice machines. I got mine from Velo.ie in Birr and the last time I was in there they had one on demo. The Fratello is a good all rounder and perfect for Irish weather as full mudguards can be fitted, but still a good light road bike that can be used on club runs.

If I wanted to do a fast sportive though the CAAD is my goto bike, great fun.

If i had to keep only one bike though it would be the Condor, so versatile.

cheers - are those condor bikes made to order? the website really just lists frames with a 'get back to us if you want a full bike' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

No not necessarily.

Their business model revolves around their shop in London. The idea is that you go in, get fitted for a particular frame, then select the parts you want on the bike and they build it for you. I think they do try to keep most common designs and sizes in stock. However, you can choose custom paint and the sizes can go from very small to very big.

I purchased the frame through Velo.ie and then purchased the additional parts from Velo.

So whilst not necessarily built to order, they are handbuilt (in Italy) and can be customized to a certain extent.

PM me if you like and I can give you more info over the phone

Advertisement