Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Starting a Salon

Options
  • 15-10-2016 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Ok, so my brother is currently in the process of starting his own hairdressers/barbers. He has the location sorted and has started buying equipment and setting up the interior. Finding customers won't be a problem as he has been employed in a salon previously.

The only issues he's getting stuck on at the moment is the business side of things. He's just unsure about tax, vat returns, bank accounts, keeping account records etc. and also what expenses he might incur starting a business.

I decided to put a post here because I'd hate to see him make any mistakes starting up that could be bad for the business.

So if anyone has any insights or could answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

I go to a barber to get my hair cut, I get a plumber to do the plumbing, why does he not get an accountant to deal with his accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Get an accountant - a small local practice will suit and costs will be lower than you expect.

They will do all the official stuff quickly and allow your brother do what he does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

Lockedout2 wrote: »
    I go to a barber to get my hair cut, I get a plumber to do the plumbing, why does he not get an accountant to deal with his accounts?

No need to be so aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Jdoe wrote: »
    Ok, so my brother is currently in the process of starting his own hairdressers/barbers. He has the location sorted and has started buying equipment and setting up the interior. Finding customers won't be a problem as he has been employed in a salon previously.

The only issues he's getting stuck on at the moment is the business side of things. He's just unsure about tax, vat returns, bank accounts, keeping account records etc. and also what expenses he might incur starting a business.

I decided to put a post here because I'd hate to see him make any mistakes starting up that could be bad for the business.

So if anyone has any insights or could answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

All the questions you are asking are questions your brother should have asked before he spent a penny. This would have allowed him to see if he could make a living from the enterprise. As the others have said, go see an accountant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,115 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is there vat on haircuts ?
    Will this be a topless barber shop
    How many employees or is it just you
    I'm sure you could do your own accounts, just do them ever few months to avoid them getting out of hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement