Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Green Egg / Komodo Joe BBQ

Options
  • 15-10-2016 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

Hey foodies!

Anyone here have a Big Green Egg or a Komodo Joe? I am going to purchase one and wondering if the Green Egg is worth the serious extra premium. Also any recomendation on where to buy as not finding any deals out there. Went to one dealer in Cork today and the price on the sticker was the price which surprised me as would assume there would be some wiggle room considering how expensive they are.

Reason for purchase is that I BBQ a lot and have a very serious grill/BBQ but find that where I live is too windy and BBQ rarely works very well. Thinking an egg is the best system for Irish weather and all year outdoor cooking.

Thoughts and especially a recommendation on where to buy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

They'e talking about this over on the BBQ/Grilling thread at the moment http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542022 (last page or two).
    With the value of sterling dropping, your choice of retailers is greatly expanded now to include the UK.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Very happy with my Kamado Joe Classic.
    I did a pork shoulder overnight on Friday, no problems with the cook despite torrential rain.
    The temp stability and being able to keep a cook going for 15 plus hours without refueling makes it ideal for easy to manage low and slow smoking.

Grilling is great...inch thick steaks, grilled for two minutes a side with the dome temp up to at 650F, you'll never want steak done another way again.

Awesome for pizzas too, and bread baked in it is also incredible.

The Kamado Joe seems to be far better value than the BGE. The KJ comes with a lot of essential accessories that you have to pay extra for with the BGE.

The one thing I'd recommend getting is a wireless thermometer setup for it, best way to easily monitor long cooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

They'e talking about this over on the BBQ/Grilling thread at the moment http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542022 (last page or two).
    With the value of sterling dropping, your choice of retailers is greatly expanded now to include the UK.

Thank you and just had a look at that thread and UK prices even with the good XE rate and shipping seems more expensive than buying in Ireland.

fitz wrote: »
    Very happy with my Kamado Joe Classic.
    I did a pork shoulder overnight on Friday, no problems with the cook despite torrential rain.
    The temp stability and being able to keep a cook going for 15 plus hours without refueling makes it ideal for easy to manage low and slow smoking.

Grilling is great...inch thick steaks, grilled for two minutes a side with the dome temp up to at 650F, you'll never want steak done another way again.

Awesome for pizzas too, and bread baked in it is also incredible.

The Kamado Joe seems to be far better value than the BGE. The KJ comes with a lot of essential accessories that you have to pay extra for with the BGE.

The one thing I'd recommend getting is a wireless thermometer setup for it, best way to easily monitor long cooks.

Thank you - and great tip on the wireless thermometer. Did you buy yours in Ireland and do you mind me asking how much it cost?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Thank you - and great tip on the wireless thermometer. Did you buy yours in Ireland and do you mind me asking how much it cost?

The wireless thermometer? Got it from Amazon, this one here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-TP-08-Digital-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B014DAVHSQ

If you meant the Kamado, the prices changed this year I think, so I'd just look for the cheapest you can. I got mine from The Outdoor Scene in Goatstown.

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    The wireless thermometer? Got it from Amazon, this one here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-TP-08-Digital-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B014DAVHSQ

If you meant the Kamado, the process changed this year I think, so I'd just look for the cheapest you can. I got mine from The Outdoor Scene in Goatstown.

sorry meant the actual Egg itself.

yeah! I ordered a Large Green Egg today! Thanks everyone for your help here.

Advertisement