Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mudguard recommendations ...

Options
  • 15-10-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Appreciate recomended mudguards for my winter bike it's a Boardman comp any thoughts are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Crud mk2's

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Crud mk2's

Only €18 Halfords online ATM I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

For decent mudguards you'll need a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

I've sks race blade long mudguards on my winter bike and I think they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

moonshadow wrote: »
    Appreciate recomended mudguards for my winter bike it's a Boardman comp any thoughts are much appreciated.

I've 2010 boardman comp and use the crud mkII as well on it.

I'd recommend them, the extra moulding around front derailleur is great i thnik.
    Few points i've notice using them over 2 winters are:-
    1) they do need adjustment (rear one mainly) as they keep sitting down onto the wheel over time but it's easy enough to do.
    2) i can only run 23mm tyres max due to clearance with calipers (think there tektro brakes on it)
    3) the small clearance can cause mud to build up and rub tyre quickly if you're on a mucky road.

See they've a mk3 coming out now as well, the struts to the frame certainly look like it might help the way they can drop

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Crud-RoadRacer-Mk3-Mudguards_97565.htm?source=aw&awc=6821_1476808846_77b51352826ef291da11217cdea7a5f1&utm_source=aw&utm_medium=169609

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

funnyclub wrote: »
    I've sks race blade long mudguards on my winter bike and I think they're great.

Seconded.

At the very least don't buy plastic mudguards. The road surfaces are so bad they'd be cracked within a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

"At the very least don't buy plastic mudguards. The road surfaces are so bad they'd be cracked within a couple of weeks"

I am using "plastic" mudgards since mony years on MBT, Tricross and Hybrid bikes, never had one cracked. What material would you recomend?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I'm glad the crud mkII worked well for many here, but my experience with crud mkII was not great.

They are relatively easy to fit and the rear mudguard gives very good coverage at the rear. They are liable to rub a little, but can easily be adjusted.

However, the rear mudguard broke after about 6 weeks. A twig got caught between the wheel and the mudguard and the rear mudguard snapped where the mudguard meets the brake. This was the first twig that got caught, and I was going at about 5kph at the time.

The bike was a Giant Defy running 25mm tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

I used the original SKS Race Blades for a long time on the roads of Roscommon, they held up really well.

They were only fitted to the seat stays as well, although some new ones can be fitted to the quick release skewers and brake caliper mount for better frame attachment.

The latest version look like this - https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/raceblade-pro-xl/

They should be robust and last a few good years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm heading into my 3rd winter with my Crud MK2's. The rear has never needed adjusting and doesn't rub (23mm Michelin Krylion tyres) but the front needs the odd tweek now and then but only to centre it usually. I was out on Monday after a very heavy shower, the roads were swimming in water but I returned home after a 40km spin bone dry bar a few splashes on my shoe covers. They make cycling in winter a pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

marvin42 wrote: »
    I am using "plastic" mudgards since mony years on MBT, Tricross and Hybrid bikes, never had one cracked. What material would you recomend?

Carbon ;)

Advertisement