Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentists recommendstions for a very nervous patient

Options
  • 15-10-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm bloody petrified of dentists and need to get a serious toothache sorted and quite likely a lot more work. Last time I went to dentist was 10yrs ago in Dublin when I lived there and the dentist heavily sedated me which did the trick but I believe it's very rare for a dentist to do this.

Any recommendations for a dentist that is good with very nervous patients, sedation would be a nice addition but not obligatory :)

Anywhere West of the Shannon will do me.

Tks Bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was in exactly the same boat as you a couple of years ago.
    Liam McGee on Merchants Rd.
    He and his staff are very understanding and an absolute gent to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Quay Dental in Woodquay offer sedation for nervous patients http://www.quaydental.ie/sedation.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I was like you and left my teeth for years which meant I ended up in agony, a friend recommended Andrew/ Conor Lally on the docks. They are excellent. I have no hesitation going now .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I know exactly how you feel. James McGovern opposite the Abbey.

He is excellent. He keeps talking to you. Keeps telling you that you are doing great. A great manner. Very experienced. Then, all if a sudden he says That's it. We're done'. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Was in exactly the same boat as you a couple of years ago.
    Liam McGee on Merchants Rd.
    He and his staff are very understanding and an absolute gent to boot.

I cannot recommend Liam McGee enough! I was very nervous in the beginning after a very unpleasant experience with someone else. I have tried probably 5 dentists in Galway, Liam McGee by FAR the best. He will reassure you constantly throughout the procedure, tell you everything's going well, nearly there, not long now, the worst is over, you're doing great etc, all that stuff and it really makes a big difference if you're nervous as you can lose all sense of time in the chair.
    Also it's the only place I've been where the injection has not hurt at all. He never hurts, he's very mindful of your physical experience there and does several things to make it better, he never rushes you. It's genuinely a relaxing experience. I've had fillings and extractions and if I needed another tomorrow I wouldn't be nervous at all about going to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

I can't recommend Liam McGee highly enough either. Went there first about 3 years ago for some heavy treatment (tooth pull, fillings etc). Never felt more at ease at a dentist. As mentioned above, he makes everything easy and no matter the situation, there is never a negative comment. The treatment was pain free and having gone back last few years for checkups or minor treatments, I've never dreaded the visits like I would have one time. He is a credit to his profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hi,

Last time I went to dentist was 10yrs ago in Dublin when I lived there

Bear in mind that visiting a dentist that infrequently could unfortunately set you up for more involuntarily frequent visits in the future because of lack of regular teeth cleanings etc to remove plaque etc which then cause toothaches and other problems. If you get on well with your new dentist and they help remove some of your fears, it's in your interest to get a cleaning at least once a year as no amount of tooth brushing cleans your teeth the way a proper hygienist cleaning will.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Another vote for Liam McGee here- as others have said, really nice to deal with, no negative comments, a pain free experience. He will go slowly and talk you through it as he goes along if you explain your nervousness or any other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

As ArtyC said, the Lally's down the docks are brilliant. I've been going to Andrew for about 12 years now, and he's been beyond amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

bobbyss wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel. James McGovern opposite the Abbey.

He is excellent. He keeps talking to you. Keeps telling you that you are doing great. A great manner. Very experienced. Then, all if a sudden he says That's it. We're done'. 10/10

+1 for this guy. He was my dentist for yrs. I only switched as it was annoying to go into town. Really nice man and won 'most sensitive dentist in ireland' a few yrs back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I also vote Liam McGee, have been going to him for the last five years and he is a true professional.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If too many of us see this it'll be impossible to get an appointment.
    What's he like on pricing? Reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

flazio wrote: »
    If too many of us see this it'll be impossible to get an appointment.
    What's he like on pricing? Reasonable?

Liam McGee? Very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ask for Dorcas at Orantown Dentall.

My entire family go there, based on a recommendation from a neighbour. Very friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Liam McGee is the man for me!
    Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nice list of recommendations here for you Bob, hope you get one that suits you.

Also keep in mind that - allayed with a great and sympathetic dentist - dental practices have greatly improved with regards pain management etc. In fact there is generally little or no pain anymore!

Keep us posted here please!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Quick update,

Couldn't get an appointment with any of the recommendations so my good wife got fed up listening to me and got me an appointment in Smiles. I was dubious going to a chain of dentists but ended up quite surprised.

The dentist was an Indian gentleman who was very patient with me and put me at ease. It helped that his wife worked in the same place as me so kept chatting away to me about everything non dental related. He put a temp fix on my issue to get me thru a course of antibiotics. Back with the hygienist on Tues next and planning an extraction the following week and I'll be making doubly sure it's the same lad.

Fingers crossed I can continue on this positive path :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the profession is much more aware of peoples misgivings these days and that you'd find that whatever bad experience you had in the past shouldn't reflect on the current profession.

Not going to the dentist for ten years probably just built it up in your mind into something much worse than it actually is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement