Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise from Underfloor Heating System

• 15-10-2016 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Have an air to water heat pump with underfloor heating installed in a newly house.

Should there be any noise at all coming from the heating manifold. It's the noise similar to what your fridge makes only louder. It's not overly loud but it is annoying for someone that is sesitive to noise.

Also I can hear some noise in each room from the floor when the heating is on.

I don't think the system is airlocked and my plumber has explained it has got to do with all the pumps i have.

I am just wondering is this normal ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Murt15 wrote: »
    Have an air to water heat pump with underfloor heating installed in a newly house.

Should there be any noise at all coming from the heating manifold. It's the noise similar to what your fridge makes only louder. It's not overly loud but it is annoying for someone that is sesitive to noise.

Also I can hear some noise in each room from the floor when the heating is on.

I don't think the system is airlocked and my plumber has explained it has got to do with all the pumps i have.

I am just wondering is this normal ?

Are you sure the noise isnt coming from the wiring center located above the underfloor heating manifold?

How many circulating pumps do you have?
    Unless its a very large house i cant see why you would need more than one once the pump has been sized correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

froshtyv wrote: »
    Are you sure the noise isnt coming from the wiring center located above the underfloor heating manifold?

How many circulating pumps do you have?
    Unless its a very large house i cant see why you would need more than one once the pump has been sized correctly.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not too hot with these kind of things. But I think i have two pumps. One downstairs and one upstairs. There is a small noise alright from the wiring centre but nothing significant.

I've figured though that the main noise is coming from under the wooden floor/tiles in each room. Now maybe this is normal and the system is just doing what it's supposed to do ? I don't know if it's because it's a new build or what but it seem's to be echoing quite loudly and is seriously annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

You definitely shouldn't have any noise coming from under tiles or wooden floor. I'd be interested to know how the system is mechanically setup. Im not a fan of having two pumps on the same line.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not too hot with these kind of things. But I think i have two pumps. One downstairs and one upstairs. There is a small noise alright from the wiring centre but nothing significant.

I've figured though that the main noise is coming from under the wooden floor/tiles in each room. Now maybe this is normal and the system is just doing what it's supposed to do ? I don't know if it's because it's a new build or what but it seem's to be echoing quite loudly and is seriously annoying.

Any idea what the problem could be ? Could it be airlocked ? Ill get onto the plumber again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I've also got an air to water heat pump with UFH in a new build. Turned heat on for first time since screed drying in the summer and had some noise due to a bit of air but it made its own way out by the sounds of it and after a couple of hours it became silent and has remained so.

Definitely no noise at the manifolds anyway. Have you an automatic vent somewhere at a high point in the system so the air can vent or does it need manual bleeding?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    I've also got an air to water heat pump with UFH in a new build. Turned heat on for first time since screed drying in the summer and had some noise due to a bit of air but it made its own way out by the sounds of it and after a couple of hours it became silent and has remained so.

Definitely no noise at the manifolds anyway. Have you an automatic vent somewhere at a high point in the system so the air can vent or does it need manual bleeding?

Thanks murphaph, I am not sure about the vent, I'd really need a professional to look at this.

How do you find the heat from your system ? Wouldn't be overly impressed as of yet. Apart from the kitchen all other floors are always cold. I have a feeling that my UFH is not fully functioning and the only reason the stats are showing 20-22c is because the house is well insulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Has the flow on all of the circuits been balanced?

exaisle wrote: »
    Has the flow on all of the circuits been balanced?

Not sure exaisle. It was a turn key finish and I assumed that all would be sorted. What does this involve ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thanks murphaph, I am not sure about the vent, I'd really need a professional to look at this.

How do you find the heat from your system ? Wouldn't be overly impressed as of yet. Apart from the kitchen all other floors are always cold. I have a feeling that my UFH is not fully functioning and the only reason the stats are showing 20-22c is because the house is well insulated.
    Yeah but that's the way it's supposed to be really. You insulate and make airtight and reduce the heat load to a minimum these days. If your UFH was toasty warm under foot and your house was at 20 degrees you'd be losing huge amounts of energy somewhere.

I can't feel any heat from the floor but it's 20 degrees inside and 4 outside right now. Tiles won't be freezing cold under foot but won't be noticeably warm either.

Advertisement