Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creatine and hair loss

• 16-10-2016 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭

So the research seems to be conclusive that creative helps with resistance training and is safe unless you actually have kidney disease which is unlikely.

But.. Now I'm being alerted to the fact that creatine speeds up the balding process.

Which is bad for me as hair would not be a strong point for me to begin with.

Any views on this?

Screw it, get fit and shave it off? I don't know.

I'm reading you can tattoo "hair" on now anyway, cheaper than a transplant 😂 .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's no direct link to hair loss. It's been shown to increase a hormone called DHT and DHT affects hair loss for those with male pattern baldness.

And the only studies showing that link netween creatine and DHT were where the participants were on massive amounts of creatine (~25g/day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

There's no direct link to hair loss. It's been shown to increase a hormone called DHT and DHT affects hair loss for those with male pattern baldness.

And the only studies showing that link netween creatine and DHT were where the participants were on massive amounts of creatine (~25g/day).

25 was a loading period they cut it back to 5g afterwards

Avoiding loading is likely to avoid the mechanism whereby DHT levels are increased to any significant degree.

It suprises me that there are not more studies on this issue considering the popularity of the product.

So maybe its not such a big deal.

Anyway, there is a prescription that blocks the production of DHT :pac:

• Advertisement

It suprises me that there are not more studies on this issue considering the popularity of the product

Because gainz > hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyway, there is a prescription that blocks the production of DHT :pac:

Have you seen the nasty side effects of that prescription?

Have you seen the nasty side effects of that prescription?

You mean the sexual stuff? Apparently its only in 3% of users but they could have these issues anyway

http://www.hrbr.ie/finasteride-hair-loss-treatment/

Scroll to:
    UPDATE ON FINASTERIDE
    The great majority of users do not suffer any side effects from its use. Less than 2% of males report decreased libido, semen volume and erection difficulties which disappear on stopping Finasteride and usually also resolve on continuing to use it. Recently, a very small number of users report persistence of the sexual difficulties. The PCPT prostate trial which looked at the sexual dysfunction in 17,313 patients, taking Finasteride over a 7 year period, found that Finasteride caused only a small average increase in sexual dysfunction that decreased over time. The anecdotal reports of prolonged sexual difficulties, however, have been criticized for their selection and recall bias and lack of psychological evaluation of the patients and the failure to out-rule the very many other causes of these symptoms.

The total freedom of 97% of Finasteride users from any side effects whatsoever lead us to the conclusion that other factors are involved in the genesis of these persistent sexual symptoms. Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the most thoroughly studied sexual dysfunction in men and the most common sexual complaint of men presenting to their health care providers. Various large-scale studies (both cross-sectional and longitudinal) have indicated that the worldwide prevalence of ED is between 10% and 20%. ED is strongly correlated with aging, with a steep incline in prevalence rates, from 6.5% in men aged 20 to 39 years to 77.5% in those aged 75 years and older. ED is also associated with various co-morbidities, including psychological factors, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, and metabolic syndrome, and with smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You mean the sexual stuff? Apparently its only in 3% of users but they could have these issues anyway

http://www.hrbr.ie/finasteride-hair-loss-treatment/

Scroll to:
    UPDATE ON FINASTERIDE

Yes ,its pretty controversial .
    Its only 3% of users according to that article but other articles quote higher levels and there are some right horror stories .

Man boobs is also a side effect.;)

Yes ,its pretty controversial .
    Its only 3% of users according to that article but other articles quote higher levels and there are some right horror stories .

Man boobs is also a side effect.;)

It would be a bit mad to be taking creatine to help with your training, this hair stuff to counter the DHT increases, and then to get man boobs after all that 😂

• Advertisement

Just don't take creatine if it's a concern. You woukdnt be hampering yourself to any great degree by not taking it.

Just don't take creatine if it's a concern. You woukdnt be hampering yourself to any great degree by not taking it.

I am also interested in its cognitive benefits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Saw Palmetto is a natural DHT blocker, the oil form with 85% free fatty acids
    This with Nisim shampoo . To regrow hair you would need something else, but that would maintain hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Man boobs is also a side effect.

Never heard this. Source?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Never heard this. Source?

I think he/she meant for Finasteride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

So to be clear..

You can have baldness and gainzz, or hair and tits...?

Why is this even a discussion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

How many studies is there proving creatine does actually increase DHT? I had a quick search there and found a report saying it was only found in one study and had never been replicated?
    ......... I might just not check any further replies on this thread and let the placebo get me roided up

Hanley wrote: »
    So to be clear..

You can have baldness and gainzz, or hair and tits...?

Why is this even a discussion :D
    How many studies is there proving creatine does actually increase DHT? I had a quick search there and found a report saying it was only found in one study and had never been replicated?
    ......... I might just not check any further replies on this thread and let the placebo get me roided up

You can get gainz without Creatine though, just not as fast and makes it a bit harder?

Advertisement