Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - What would you like to see

• 16-10-2016 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

With Boots and the Kilkenny shop about to open it got me wondering what I would like to see open next.....

A couple of things I still travel for include cinema, sporting goods and men's clothes.

Anything you would like to see fill the next vacant shop??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Good luck with a cinema.

That is not going to happen. Mind you I love the outdoor cinema that Greystones Guide has been organising the last few months.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm not sure Greystones can or should compete with the shopping malls for that kind of thing.
    Greystones has nice scenery and good transport links, so it is good at attracting people out from Dublin on day trips, hence all the coffee shops and restaurants.
    It also has lots of space and potential development land. I think there is potential for more recreational facilities aimed at a wider audience, maybe health spas, an ice skating rink, go-kart racing, that sort of thing. It would bring extra money into the town, and the spin-off for existing outlets would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Yes, do not think a cinema would be sustainable, just thinking what I look elsewhere for. I like recedite's ideas on recreational, possibly need to start with a small boutique type hotel first also....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think a small art house type cinema would be a great addition to Greystones.

Art house type cinema would be great. I think similar does really well in bray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yesap wrote: »
    Art house type cinema would be great. I think similar does really well in bray

the Mermaid only shows films once a week, it's not primarily a cinema.

Greystones could use a nightclub, is there any comparable sized town in Ireland that doesn't have one? My clubbing days are behind me but there are plenty of younger people in the town, Lautrex always did pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

loyatemu wrote: »

Greystones could use a nightclub, is there any comparable sized town in Ireland that doesn't have one? My clubbing days are behind me but there are plenty of younger people in the town, Lautrex always did pretty well.

How about a hotel venue that looks on to amazing views of the sea, with a club, bar and useful accommodation..?? Oh wait!

loyatemu wrote: »

But sure even Bray has less nightclubs than it did before. I actually think drink cultures have changed a lot in 20/30 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

How about I would love to see no Boots or Kilkenny move into the town. It's slowly becoming another generic town. The rents will be pushed up by the chains and all the independent shops will close. People will go to boots because it's handy and will buy Christmas presents in Kilkenny because it's handy and independent chemists and gift shops like concepts and Brooke and shoals will struggle to compete. Those stores are owned by real people from the town trying to make a living. Instead we'll have bland corporate chains and we'll be reminiscing in the Old Greystones threads about the old independent shops that are gone for years to come. We will pine for these shops when they are gone.
    I love greystones and I really don't like what I see going on

I like a mix, independent shops can benefit from the bigger chains by attracting those people that wouldn't even bother stopping by otherwise. Also, I would rather a boots than an empty unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I love the old feel of the place, even if that is slowly being worn away.

Things I'd love to see
    1. Restored bathing area including a diving section and even a return to the floating or moored whatever that was outside the mens, used to love swimming to that. I'm thinking along the lines of what was in Bray and even Dun Laoghaire - a tidal pool, protected from all but the worst of storms where the tide, replenishes the water but where swimming is not dependent on a high tide or on calm waters.

2. Protected buildings - being actually protected and restored. La Touche - here was a great chance (lost) to refurb, put in some eateries/shops and apartments - look at it now. Or the restoration of the castles around the place - bigger question for Ireland, we tend to let our monuments fall down instead of repairing even sympathetically - Crispins cell, Dromont castle, Octagon, etc.

Things I don't want to see
    Repeat of some of the recent planning decisions, Delgany will be unrecognisable in a while with the new estate on the road to the forest or the apartment block in behind the Wicklow arms. We really do need some good representatives both on the council and in planning, over the years I've seen good people trying to represent us just get shouted down or bullied, were what we've seen happen occur in the corporate world there'd be dismissals or investigations. Here there's a blind eye turned or we all just shrug and accept the apparent crookedness of what's going on. In a similar vein how could they knowingly place all the new schools at the far end of the town from the newer population and then wring their hands over the terrible traffic jams while calling back to when they were kids walking to school - idiotic isn't the word.

Also don't want to see what I've seen elsewhere, a while back visiting Dingle I was horrified to see a neon sign on one of their old streets, the contradiction was just jarring. Here I was in a high tourist town looking at the bright sign of another global food outlet. It just felt wrong. I'm not saying the fast food place shouldn't have been there, bringing in employment was great, but the planners/town council should have insisted that they only used signage in keeping with the town, even if it was a break from their trademarked and easily recognisable sign - that would also have provided employment to the local shop sign painters/designers instead of bringing in neon tubes from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

yesap wrote: »
    I like a mix, independent shops can benefit from the bigger chains by attracting those people that wouldn't even bother stopping by otherwise. Also, I would rather a boots than an empty unit.

What can boots offer you that isn't already available in the town?
    Did the independent shops in and around dundrum benefit from the centre being put in?
    They just take away from the character of the town and increase the rents. With the amount of chains already in the town there is no way any landlord will give the lease to a local to have a go. They will be hanging on for another chain to move in. Sure let's hope for McDonald's and Witherspoon's next please.
    Greystones was always a bit different but it's slowly becoming the same as any old town. Stroll around any town in England and see how they are full of the same stores, every high street is the same. So if you think that these stores will attract people to the town you are wrong as it'll be just another boring high street.

PS I agree with taltos regarding restoration of our locals buildings and sights and planning stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Taltos wrote: »
    I love the old feel of the place, even if that is slowly being worn away.

Things I'd love to see
    1. Restored bathing area including a diving section and even a return to the floating or moored whatever that was outside the mens, used to love swimming to that. I'm thinking along the lines of what was in Bray and even Dun Laoghaire - a tidal pool, protected from all but the worst of storms where the tide, replenishes the water but where swimming is not dependent on a high tide or on calm waters.

2. Protected buildings - being actually protected and restored. La Touche - here was a great chance (lost) to refurb, put in some eateries/shops and apartments - look at it now. Or the restoration of the castles around the place - bigger question for Ireland, we tend to let our monuments fall down instead of repairing even sympathetically - Crispins cell, Dromont castle, Octagon, etc.

Things I don't want to see
    Repeat of some of the recent planning decisions, Delgany will be unrecognisable in a while with the new estate on the road to the forest or the apartment block in behind the Wicklow arms. We really do need some good representatives both on the council and in planning, over the years I've seen good people trying to represent us just get shouted down or bullied, were what we've seen happen occur in the corporate world there'd be dismissals or investigations. Here there's a blind eye turned or we all just shrug and accept the apparent crookedness of what's going on. In a similar vein how could they knowingly place all the new schools at the far end of the town from the newer population and then wring their hands over the terrible traffic jams while calling back to when they were kids walking to school - idiotic isn't the word.

Also don't want to see what I've seen elsewhere, a while back visiting Dingle I was horrified to see a neon sign on one of their old streets, the contradiction was just jarring. Here I was in a high tourist town looking at the bright sign of another global food outlet. It just felt wrong. I'm not saying the fast food place shouldn't have been there, bringing in employment was great, but the planners/town council should have insisted that they only used signage in keeping with the town, even if it was a break from their trademarked and easily recognisable sign - that would also have provided employment to the local shop sign painters/designers instead of bringing in neon tubes from elsewhere.

You're absolutely right, Taltos, we are truly appalling in this country at helping to preserve the character and heritage of our towns and villages. It amazes me how we expect tourists to return to visit our towns and villages when we do so little to retain and preserve quaint, quirky or authentic charm in them. Instead we see (and we are the mercy of our Town Planners [sic] and An Board Pleanala on this front) copy-cat, lego land houses, mass produced from what would pass for "off the shelf" plans that have no sympathy to the existing architecture, culture or heritage of either Greystones or Delgany.

What I would love to see for our sister conurbations would be:
    an improvement (resurfacing) of our roads
    a dog run
    a small village green /garden for Delgany
    some small independent retail spaces in Delgany
    an actual dedicated DART stop /car park for the Charlesland area
    a small boutique hotel (if the one in Delgany ever happens it'd be something)
    and finally.........
    a greater sense of community spirit in both places! It seems to be the same people to whom the initiative is left and the burden falls to keep community organisations going and spearhead campaigns on matters such as are mentioned above. They can't do it all themselves, all of the time. Otherwise they'll just get fed up of it and walk away.

It's too late when the damage is done, what we once loved about a place has been replaced by faux, crass monstrosities and the amenities, resources and green open spaces lost, to bemoan the fact. NOW is the time to do something about it to preserve what we have left and influence what we would like to see happening in the area where we live!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

A Hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

A new hotel (or La Touche renovated), nightclub, more shops for the Delgany and Charlesland area, development of the old cinema into something interesting or leave as an Art house cinema (there is much space on the lower ground now and I was considering some cool "diner" where the people skate around serving food but then I realised this is Ireland and not some 1950s movie!),

What I've wanted more for years is a creative Greystones. Basically more art with sculptures, installations and paintings. After moving away from my BA in Art and going in to Computer Science I have also thought about more businesses or start-ups being beneficial for the Greystones area. I know Matthew from GOF on Facebook has mentioned about a facility in the IDA part in Charlesland.

I would like to see improvements to cycling lanes around the area that doesn't just include the Dublin to Wexford planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

McDonalds and a few Coffee Shops wouldn't go a stray!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

It would be great if the library had books other than trashy fiction. A weekend 184 running more than one every one/two hours. More amenities/services in Delgany: there are beauticians, artisan eateries, an estate agency, etc., but no pharmacy, doctor or supermarket.

Creol1 wrote: »
    It would be great if the library had books other than trashy fiction. A weekend 184 running more than one every one/two hours. More amenities/services in Delgany: there are beauticians, artisan eateries, an estate agency, etc., but no pharmacy, doctor or supermarket.

You can order books in from libraries in every county in Ireland

Terry Pratchet

You can order books in from libraries in every county in Ireland

I know, but it takes a long time to reach the library and you can't renew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Library by day, cinema by night would be cool if it were possible… preferably with cycleways leading to it… through a lovely park where dogs could romp and children could play…

• Advertisement

I know, but it takes a long time to reach the library and you can't renew it.

Both points are untrue -I've used that service. It's quick and you can renew.

Terry Pratchet

Both points are untrue -I've used that service. It's quick and you can renew.

When I availed of the facility, it took five weeks for a book I ordered from Dún Laoghaire to reach Greystones and I was not able to renew it.

Also, it would be a bit more polite if you could say "In my experience it's different" rather than "both points are untrue", which kind of makes me sound like a liar for something I posted based on my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Chuchote wrote: »
    Library by day, cinema by night would be cool if it were possible… preferably with cycleways leading to it… through a lovely park where dogs could romp and children could play…
    I remember when the library moved to the swimming pool for a year or so while the main building was being renovated. It used to be packed with kids and their parents then, it was great to see.
    I have hardly been inside it since the new building was completed, it always seems to be closed at the times I would want to use it.

There are a few libraries around the country that members can use evenings and weekends, using swipecard or code access. Hopefully they will introduce this system eventually.

Greystones must be different. In my local libraries (Dublin suburban) you can get any book from any library in Ireland, and keep it as long as you want (with renewals), unless someone else has reserved it in which case they demand it back after your first go. You can also get books from abroad for a fee of something like a fiver. Sadly, most of the obscure academic books on Irish history I've requested have been on this kind of borrow.
    But in any case (whatever the State view on robot libraries), a big part of a library is having lots of different kinds of books there; another big part is having friendly, helpful, outgoing, creative librarians who'll say to anyone from 3 to 99 "Wow, you have to read this, it's absolutely fantastic - wait till you - well, I won't ruin it for you, but you have to read it!" The library should be the heart of the community.
    Cycle paths, because cycle paths mean people stop for a cuppa in a local cafe, and then buy a few things from the small shops, and meet the neighbours and chat. The local community that happens is friendly for the young mother who gets lonely and overwhelmed, for the granny who desperately needs friends to chat to and joke with, for the Down's Syndrome woman who needs to be an ordinary local person, for the adolescent who needs indulgent yet firm and kind neighbours…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Chuchote

I recently visited Greystones Library and I'm mega impressed with the staff and facility.

I mentioned I love detective / murder mystery and the guy brought me around the whole library recommending and showing authors.

He also ordered in the book I went in for ( Red Sparrow - highly recommend it) and ordered about 6 more books in he thought I might like. He really went to a lot of trouble.

I got email notifications to say they have the books ready for collection and can also keep the books for longer by updating online.

The guy told me that the whole Irish Library system is being overhauled, the idea being that you can order a book from an library in the country.

Anyhow, I was mega impressed and am now a regular visitor.
    I really really think it's a great service.

One small niggle is that i think they should have a coffee dock upstairs, the view is just amazing.

Unfortunately, while the library system is being updated in some ways, in others it's being attacked - for instance the genius (not) idea of 'robolibraries', and the slashing of the minuscule payment authors get when their books are borrowed:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/authors-only-receive-4c-a-library-payments-slashed-by-a-third-428241.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Chuchote wrote: »
    Unfortunately, while the library system is being updated in some ways, in others it's being attacked - for instance the genius (not) idea of 'robolibraries', and the slashing of the minuscule payment authors get when their books are borrowed:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/authors-only-receive-4c-a-library-payments-slashed-by-a-third-428241.html

To my ignorance, I didn't realise authors received a payment.

ellejay wrote: »
    To my ignorance, I didn't realise authors received a payment.

Only if the writer registers for Public Lending Rights; the Irish payments are administered, weirdly, through Britain, and it varies hugely across the world - many countries pay only their own writers, illustrators, translators, etc, so that in some countries a foreign author will get nothing if you borrow his book from the library, but the local translator will get a payment.

It should be standardised across Europe, but isn't; there are constant attacks by corporations on the right of working writers to own and profit from their own work.

The ones who started it were the Dutch; Dutch writers raced through libraries in 'Provo' actions in the 1970s, removing their own books and shouting "Borrowing books is stealing from writers!" Afaik, the best system now is in Denmark.

recedite wrote: »
    I remember when the library moved to the swimming pool for a year or so while the main building was being renovated. It used to be packed with kids and their parents then, it was great to see.
    I have hardly been inside it since the new building was completed, it always seems to be closed at the times I would want to use it.

There are a few libraries around the country that members can use evenings and weekends, using swipecard or code access. Hopefully they will introduce this system eventually.

I think it's an absolutely horrendous idea to have staffless libraries

I'm very strongly in favour of the campaign against them

https://www.facebook.com/StaffourLibraries/

https://staffourlibraries.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/staffless-libraries/

https://www.change.org/p/staff-our-libraries

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

When I availed of the facility, it took five weeks for a book I ordered from Dún Laoghaire to reach Greystones and I was not able to renew it.

Also, it would be a bit more polite if you could say "In my experience it's different" rather than "both points are untrue", which kind of makes me sound like a liar for something I posted based on my experience.

Right ok - apologies - recently I ordered books and they were there 2 days later and I was able to renew

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement